Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are peoples thoughts on this gun? Other guns like it in the same price range that have the same abilities (everything fits in the stock)?

·
zombie response team
3,188 Posts
some like em, depending on when it was manufactured and by what company, some are known to be jammo-mattics

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
some like em, depending on when it was manufactured and by what company, some are known to be jammo-mattics
Specifically I was thinking the Henry Ar-7. Supposed to be made in the US, and I did read they tend to jam with cheaper rounds. Got alternatives for the same $250.00 Price tag?

·
zombie response team
3,188 Posts
almost any .22 likes a certain type of ammo, some run reliably only with the ammo that that particular gun likes

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
I'd try one. Semi-auto .22's just seem to be picky about ammo, may require some tweaking and break-in,.. just seems to be their nature.
Bolt action and lever action .22's... flawless. Semi-autos.. can be too.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont know how I feel about the weight of the 10/22. It is just about twice the weight of the AR-7. Possible for the 10/22 to lose 2 pounds, without breaking the bank?

·
Registered
28 Posts
What are peoples thoughts on this gun? Other guns like it in the same price range that have the same abilities (everything fits in the stock)?
don't buy it if you're looking to plink and only want to afford the cheapest ammo; buy ANYTHING else because you will not be happy...buy a henry survival because you need a very light, easy to pack/store .22 rifle; those are it's special virtues...and yeah, it functions best using cci minimags/velocitors/stingers (not exactly the cheapest ammo you can buy).

·
Registered
961 Posts
I bought one as a necessary part of my buggin' materials. I did the many boxes to find its preferences and yes, mine does like CCI Mini-Mags of either persuasion along with the bulk Federal .22LRs with 36 gr. bullets.
It's not designed to be used on a constant basis but as an occasional user when in a far from home for a few days type situation. It will not make it in a firefight nor can it be used for market hunting.
It's a fair rifle as it is designed, to be used when in a survival situation, not a main battle rifle for reducing the zombie hordes.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What are the different kits available for the 10/22? I have found a few, but none that have really suited me.

·
Paladin of the Midwest
682 Posts
personally if I wanted a pack gun I would go with a ruger 10/22 on a folding stock of some kind. Maybe bigger than the AR-7, but if you already have a 10/22 all you have to do is get the folding stock and I would think the ruger would be more reliable.

With that being said, if you want an ar-7 go get one and have fun with it :)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After talking to my girlfriend Grandfather who is a huge gun expert and has fired the AR-7 (Air Force Retired) and owns a 10/22 I think I am going to go with a 10/22 and put some kind of a kit on it to help compact it a bit.

·
I Sleep with my Boots ON!
1,302 Posts
AR7 and 10/22 don't belong in the same sentence. The AR7 was designed to put in a backpack as is no aftermarket parts. There is no question the 10/22 would be my choice of the two but the AR7 has it's spot in my safe as do a couple 10/22's..

·
I Sleep with my Boots ON!
1,302 Posts
My daughter and I will be off to the range at 9am tomorrow morning and I decided to bring the Henry Survival 22 with us. She likes my older 10/22 being she is only 10 years old and relatively new to shooting she does very well with the 10/22. I've had this one over 20 years now and still shoots very nice and she likes the wood stock which I redid as soon as I bought it at Kmart way back when.:D:

I'm bringing my Saiga 12GA, Saiga 308 which is converted, my LMT AR with eoTECH bore sighted at 25 yards so we'll see how that works out. I'm also bringing my Yugo SKS, been having alot of fun with that one lately.
Figured we would bring the Henry Survival and see how it does. I'll get back to you guys tomorrow afternoon.

·
One of the Good Guys
268 Posts
I have one in my BOB that I keep in my car, it will do in a pinch and I could bring home some small game with it. I don't like the sights on mine, however. Have to lean my right eye further than is comfortable over the stock to get on target, doable, but not comfortable.

·
Come and Take It!
11,642 Posts
I dont know how I feel about the weight of the 10/22. It is just about twice the weight of the AR-7. Possible for the 10/22 to lose 2 pounds, without breaking the bank?
There is only 1 other breakdown .22 auto that I think is similar to the AR-7 that is the Marlin Papoose. It does not fit into the butstock but does break down like the AR-7. In stead it comes with a carry case. It is heavier than the AR-7 but fits in about the same space.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I'd try one. Semi-auto .22's just seem to be picky about ammo, may require some tweaking and break-in,.. just seems to be their nature.
Bolt action and lever action .22's... flawless. Semi-autos.. can be too.
It is because of the low power ammo. If the machining of the weapon is not "fine" enough to pick up on the nuances of particular ammo, it wont feed right. Higher powered weapons...the machining just has to give in to the force of the cartridge. A 22, from a gun's perspective, lets the ammo be in charge of the gun rather than letting the gun be in charge of the ammo.
I love the 10/22. Have had several over the years. I really, really want a Papoose, havent found a shop around here with one for sale and am thinking about ordering one.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts