Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a decent small game rifle. I have a Ruger 10/22 but I'd like something a bit more portable (fitting into a BOB or backpack).

Anybody out there have any experience with one of these Henry.22 rifles? Seems very portable, disassembled, parts fitting into the waterproof stock. Any comments on longterm durability? Accuracy?

http://www.henryrepeating.com/h002_survival.cfm

·
Firearm Enthusiast
367 Posts
I learned to shoot on my father's original Armalite AR-7. Accuracy is neither terrible, nor terrific. It is extremely lightweight and kind of a cool concept. They're also pretty cheap and pretty small when they break down. Ours is currently having feeding issues, but its probably a combination of bad ammo and old magazines. We're going to work the kinks out this spring. If you can find one for a good price, pick it up.

I think a Ruger 10/22 might be a better buy in the long run though. Parts, magazines, barrels, etc are much more plentiful and cheaper. Ruger also has an excellent reputation and the 10/22 has been around since 1964.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ruger .22 Charger

How about the Ruger .22 Charger to fit inside of a backpack? It takes all the magazines the 10/22 does, only a shorter platform to shoot with. You can also put ;)a red dot or scope on it as well.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I purchased a "Charter Arms AR-7" April 23rd. 1982 for $101.92 including taxes,,,carried it with me for 27 years in my survival box that I kept in my truck box while working away from home,,,I have shot more .22s through this rifle than I can keep track of,,,I did purchase 4 extra 8 round magazines at a gun show for $9.00 each,,,a good deal on those,,I never had any problems with my rifle using a variety of ammunition,,,accuracy is acceptable out to about 30 yards,,,it is truly a "SURVIVAL" rifle and not some kind of assault weapon,,,use it as a survival rifle when you do not have anything else,,,it does pack down easy and allows for carrying of a large ammout of ammunition,,,SEMPER FI

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well I hope that Ill be happy cause I am buying a pair (me and my son) for our trips to the wild... and for our BOB's

·
Registered
537 Posts
I carry a Charter arms AR-7 in my pack. It jams alot, but is fairly accurate. It is good enough to take small game.
Most jams on semi auto rifles can be cured by replacing existing magazine with a new OEM magazine,,,not some knockoff but an original one made by that company for that rifle,,,most .22 magazines are made of stamped sheet metal and the feed lips get worn/damaged with use...try this before you condem the rifles,,maybe later condem the magazines....SEMPER FI:thumb:

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
How about the Ruger .22 Charger to fit inside of a backpack? It takes all the magazines the 10/22 does, only a shorter platform to shoot with. You can also put ;)a red dot or scope on it as well.
I have a Charger and I like it. It's a pretty cool gun, kind of a hybrid cross of a pistol and a riffle.
BUT you will NEED a red dot or scope on it. It doesn't come with any sights.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I own the slightly older model of that Henry survival rifle. The only differences being mostly cosmetic (no orange on mine, and only a slot in the stock for one mag so the other has to be in the receiver).

I have ran about 500 rounds through it in a little over a year, and it works very well. It is more accurate than I am, so I don't blame my misses on the gun.

It used to jam (fail to load) on the last round of every magazine. After about a hundred rounds to get it broken in, that is no longer an issue.

I have not tested the waterproofness (is that a word?) of it, since i am too chicken to dunk it in the shower to find out.

All in all I think a rgular 10/22 would be more accurate, but it is really cool to have it break down and strap to the outside of my pack.

EDIT: I just saw the pic of the M6 scout above my post. The gun is fired by squeezing that odd trigger inside the hand guard. I personally do not like that, but it might be just fine for most people. Not saying it is a bad thing, just something to be aware of if you are considering that rifle.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The thing is, aren't M6 rifles obscenely expensive for no more than what they are?
I know a lot of people here like them...but they just seem to cost way too much.
Well, I guess you're paying for some neat features. A quick check on gunbroker shows them in the 4-600 range. Still seems high to me. Would be neat to have though. Are they very durable?

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
The thing is, aren't M6 rifles obscenely expensive for no more than what they are?
I know a lot of people here like them...but they just seem to cost way too much.
Well, I guess you're paying for some neat features. A quick check on gunbroker shows them in the 4-600 range. Still seems high to me. Would be neat to have though. Are they very durable?
I'd own one... but not before an AR7. They're neat, but like you said, kinda overpriced in my opinion. AR7.. not expensive, VERY lightweight, good little small game getter, and semi-auto 8 round mag fed.

M6... also reliable. Not capable of quick followup shots (lost that squirrel/rabbit!) .410.. ok, but I'd probably get more game with a semi-auto .22. ..that's just my own personal experience.

I would first go with an AR7, buy an extra magazine or two, buy lots of rounds and practice, practice, practice. Good for you and the rifle break-in.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I like my old Charter Arms version just fine. It was even with me in a pretty serious auto crash. Still functions just fine. Just took it out the other day and ran a few rounds through it. Quite happy with the accuracy. If the Henrys are better, go for it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts