Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Liberty or Death
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased one on impulse a while back, but haven't shot it much. I never respected the .22LR until I started really looking at it from more of a survivalist view point. I allready have a couple single shot bolt action .22's in addition to the Henry. I was just wondering what you all, for those of you who have experience with the rifle, think of it?

I appreciate anyones imput, but I'm really looking for first hand experience, or credible sources. I see a lot of B.S. spread around over the internet simply because some people believe that if it's written, it must be true. I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about.

Thank you.

·
90/10 headed for 95/5
7,665 Posts
Reactions: Pierpont

·
Registered
14 Posts
I almost bought one of those a couple of months ago. The reason I didn't, it just did not feel right. It felt really cheap. Like one trip out in the woods and it would fall apart. I remember not liking the rear sight all that much either...

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
Well any responses you get can be BS written responses.

I have no experience with the newer Henry models and asked a similar question to yours a month or so back.

I do have experience with the older ones and what I found is that they are junk for what they are supposed to be, survival rifles.

If I have to only shoot 1 kind of round (say I find one that works in it good) have to keep it spotlessly clean and have to work it with a dremel til my hand is numb in order to get the action working right if at all, they fail in the regards of a dependable firearm for what the SHTF.

Now the newer ones though, I have heard good things about them with good ammo and a little TLC. I am still not a fan of the bulky grip since I am left handed.

When shopping for a backpack rifle, I decided to pass on it as prior experience along with the ergonomics of it made for a bad combo.

Notice too that they only shoot pictures of it with the ejection side facing you, they never show the Quasimoto on the other side.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I keep one under the seat in the Cherokee. It likes minimags, but so do all my other .22 rifles so that is what I keep stashed. The good ammo causes ZERO problems.

Crap ammo will give you crap results. Every problem I have heard of in the Henry could be traced to crap ammo. Not extractors, ejectors or feed ramps, just ammo that was not punching the bolt back far enough to cycle properly.

Mine shoots into 2" @ 50 off sandbags with the peep sight. A little less than 1" with a 4x scope mounted. (which defeats the purpose of the design) Inside 25 yards the gun will keep food in the pot.

As far as looks and ergonomics go, the AR7 was designed to do a job. Part of that job was to fit in a very small package. The entire rifle and 17 rounds of ammo fit into the stock. I can deal with it not feeling perfect or being lumpy on one side.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
The original Armalite AR7 was a damn fine gun but I have never used the Henry version...

They weren't the most accurate rifles out there but then again they weren't designed to shoot at small game animals or birds beyond short distances anyhow so pinpoint accuracy wasn't needed...The other complaint was they had a stiff trigger but that was also designed into the gun to prevent a possible discharge, say by snagging on a branch or brushed by a gloved finger, when you would least want it to happen, say like with an enemy patrol walking past...

They were also designed to be thrown into a knapsack and left there until needed...locked into their waterproof, floating case you could be assured that they would remain clean until you needed them but also they weren't designed to last you for great periods of time in the bush, just until your plane crash site was discovered and help arrived so taking squirrels or rabbits was sufficient nutrition to last you the few days to maybe a week you'd be down...longer and you die of protein starvation...

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
11,187 Posts
I love mine, it was manufactured 9-09. They had put an older model spring guide in but replaced it with the new style without a problem. Once I got the mags cleaned and oiled it shoots fine. I does like CCI Mini-Mags but Federal works fine too. the peep sight can be flipped. I get much better results with the smaller hole. If you limp wrist it while firing it will jamb but so will most semi-autos. Because it is so light, it is easy to do.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
In recent years, both with probably the success of Survivor Man tv show and others, Hurricane Katrina's aftermath in New Orleans, and other influences, mfgs seem all too ready to produce and market new types of survival gear. Mossberg's "Just in Case" (basically a standard 500 with a pistol grip put in a pvc tube with some bull sh_t survival crap. What's really sad is to have well established companies doing this, and in some cases marring their reputation as a result.

·
zombie response team
3,188 Posts
In recent years, both with probably the success of Survivor Man tv show and others, Hurricane Katrina's aftermath in New Orleans, and other influences, mfgs seem all too ready to produce and market new types of survival gear. Mossberg's "Just in Case" (basically a standard 500 with a pistol grip put in a pvc tube with some bull sh_t survival crap. What's really sad is to have well established companies doing this, and in some cases marring their reputation as a result.
wish they still made that take town stocl/kit for the ruger 10/22. :eek: i got a 10/22 waiting on one

·
Registered
537 Posts
My wife purchased me a "Charter Arms AR-7 back in 1982 for $101.92,,,I have shot this rifle for over 25 years with "NO PROBLEMS" ,,,I never go camping without taking this rifle with me. It is survival rifle to use when you have nothing else,,,it is not an assault rifle,,,I have used it to take small game on countless occasions,,,the feed lips on the stamped sheet metal magazines will eventually wear out but other than that in my own opinion it is a TOOL to keep on hand "just in case",,,SEMPER FI

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
Survival Rifle

The only experience I have had was with the AR-7 model in the US Air Force. I never actually got to shoot one but I heard that they were alright. There were several different modles with the latest looking like the Henry.

I've seen the Henry models at shows and they look like cheap copies. Just about every new thing today is JUNK!!! To many companies trying to cut corners and putting out a :taped: product. A place I used to work put out junk that was always being returned for rework; I got laid-off. THEY didn't care about their product or employees.

I saw a Olympic Arms (similar to Armalite - big govt contractor) remake of an the old Whitney Wolverine 22cal pistol and I've heard bad about it. It's a neat Buck Rogers looking thing but it it doesn't work right why dump $600 on it? So copies of something that was good doesn't mean it will be any good. Most times THEY are using the old design as a selling tactic sucker you to buy it.

Some of these weapons are neat and just that - a collectors item.

Here's an article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-7
Criticisms
Reliability of the AR-7 is highly dependent on the condition of the magazine and on the ammunition used, perhaps more so than with other models of semi-automatic .22 LR rifles. The feed ramp is part of the magazine and subject to damage from mishandling. The transition of cartridge from magazine to barrel can be smoothed by minor beveling of the chamber of the barrel, by using round-nosed as opposed to flat-nosed bullets and by paying attention to condition of the feed lips and feed ramp of the magazine. All iterations of the AR-7 from the Armalite to the Henry use bolt and recoil springs that are heavy compared to most other .22 semiautomatics, requiring high velocity ammunition for reliable functioning. The barrel nut tends to loosen after firing and may need hand tightening to maintain both accuracy and reliability.

:upsidedown:

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Agree! Almost everything on the market today is junk compared to yesteryear...always cutting corners. Todays' consumer, beit a rifle, shotgun or anything not even firearm related, needs to closely examine the product looking for cheapness and corner cutting. What a shame but that's what's on today's consumer menu. Imagine Mossberg, the bottom line-dollar wise, of the big shotgun mfgs, they felt the need due to today's cheap consumer, of actually producing a lower line of shotguns, the Mavericks. Not to rag on Mavericks you lovers of mexicans putting together you're shotguns (yes they are made in America but in Texas, duh), but to feel the need to produce even a lower priced/lower grade shotgun considering you are Mossberg to begin with, I mean gee wiz! Imagine one of the Coleman competitors, one's that make nearly the identical product as Coleman only less expensive, coming out with an economy class of camping stoves and lanterns? Maybe the good folks at KIA will read this and find a niche in the auto market for a lower line of KIA's! Scarry.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I bought a HENRY survival .22 about 2 years ago and I am quite happy with it. I found mine shoots CCI Mini-Mags and CCI Stingers best with the Federal 525 round bulk pack rounds a close second.
I did have a little difficulty with handling it at first until I remembered to keep my off hand on the action and not the barrel. It took me just a little bit to accommodate the short stock as well but, it's all good now.
Mine shoots quite accurately now that I know which .22LR round it prefers and I practice with it from time to time, just like any firearm.
It's a good rifle for what it is, a small lightweight rifle to help you get through a tough time but not an "assault weapon" that would allow you to take on the zombie hordes of the apocalypse like too many seem to think it is.

You ever notice how many folks think that anything that has the word "survival" in the description is something they ought to be able to use to destroy a horde of thousands of zombies without fail, harvest and kill any and all animals they would want for food whether or not anything is in reasonable range, keep the roving bands of raiders 100's of miles from their stronghold and destroy any that would cross their lines in a most devastating fashion.
Too many people who say they will survive can't even handle getting out of their own fantasy world, much less would they be able to handle their potential existence in this world or after TEOTWAWKI.

Back to the topic, the HENRY survival rifle of the AR-7 design has been produced by many different manufacturers and some have been less than the best that the design has to offer. The current offerings by HENRY I believe strongly have made up for any previous shortcomings and these rifles will perform as required when needed. These would make an excellent addition to anyone's survival stores or caches. The only things you need to do is to learn how to use it properly, learn what ammo it prefers and learn how to take care of it. You do your part, the rifle will do its part.

·
Banned
906 Posts
Back to the topic, the HENRY survival rifle of the AR-7 design has been produced by many different manufacturers and some have been less than the best that the design has to offer. The current offerings by HENRY I believe strongly have made up for any previous shortcomings and these rifles will perform as required when needed. These would make an excellent addition to anyone's survival stores or caches. The only things you need to do is to learn how to use it properly, learn what ammo it prefers and learn how to take care of it. You do your part, the rifle will do its part.
you mean like shooting hyper velocity rounds through it when the owners manual specifically states not to? the thin barrel wont stand up to it for long.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.