Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
henry survival rifle * review added*

im sorry if this is a re-posted topic, but i couldn't find it in the search function. i bought a henry survival rifle the other day and think it's great. functions flawlessly and i plan on taking in my pack whenever i hunt, fish, or camp in the event i become disoriented and need to camp out for any length of time away from my base camp. I'd likely have my .303brit or 30-30 with me also but for small game in an emergency i though it would be really handy, especially considering we cant carry handguns anywhere but the range here in Canada.
i think it a really neat kit and wonder how many of you carry one or something similar... thoughts.

·
Registered
36 Posts
was looking at one myself for the exact reason. but after some research found that they are notorious for jamming, heard that marlin papoose was better, but oviouly not as compact and still jammed occasionally. decided against buyng one and put my cash towards a .223 stevens model 200 for varmints. please post your reviews on it as i still might pick one up later on, always keep it as an idea for later on. by the way during my research i stumbled on some accessories for it Ar-7. com or something like that had barrels etc for it, if your interested. Post your experiences on it, if you don;t mind, i'm curious! Cheers

·
Registered
537 Posts
Carried one with me plus 1000 rounds of .22 Stinger ammo, some MREs, extra clothes and a first aid kit in a truck locker on the back of my pickup for about 30 years,,,have fired countless rounds through it and no problems,,My rifle was made by Charter Arms,,called AR-7,,be sure to get some extra magazines for yours for the feed lips will eventually wear and may give feeding problems,,,a very reliable "Survival Gun",,,not to be used in place of an assault weapon,,,,SEMPER FI

·
Registered
356 Posts
I looked at the Henry, but ended up with the Marlin Papoose. I liked the idea of the Henry's barrel storing inside the stock but the fit/finish didn't look great and I heard alot of bad reviews.

The Marlin looked a little better made. The barrel and magazine is not designed to fit in the stock but it is hollow and had plently of room for some matches, tools, and a little ammo. Plus I also have a Marlin bolt action that accepts the same magazines. The Marlin is picky with certain ammo, but functions great once you find the right one.

Good luck with the Henry, I hope it works well for you. I really liked the idea of a small, lightweight rifle that fits easily in a pack.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have one of the original Charter Arms AR-7, had it for many years. Have not fired it a great deal, but never had the least bit of trouble with it. It is a great, neat little weapon, and well worth owning, IMHO. I keep mine with my bug-out gear, even though I have a .22 pistol too. The rifle is somewhat more accurate if needed. Floats, too. It seems to digest any ammo I put through it, and I have not been picky. 2DOGS is correct, though get some extra mags. if you check Shotgun News, on-line Internet, etc. etc. you can often find extra mags at a decent price.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Its a pretty good rifle the only problem is when surviving is that ammo cant be made in the wilderness so at some point you run out so i usally just snare fish and spear my way through survival

·
Preparation job #1
443 Posts
I like my ruger 1022 its 5 years old and never let me down, saving to get a new fold down stock for it. But Henry does make a outstanding rifle, killed my first deer with one when I was 8.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Re AR-7 jamming

I cannot for the life of me remember where I saw it, but saw an article on curing the jamming problem, believe it consisted of radiusing the chamber or something.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Keep it oiled and feed the high velocity ammo through it and you shouldn't have Ny problems with it. I think I have fired more rounds through my Henry than my 10/22. Not because I prefer it over the ruger, but because I have it with me more. It's a great little truck/trunk gun.

·
Registered
697 Posts
My Henry AR7's were complete crap and kept jamming and they kept going full auto! Even the President of Henry couldn't fix them!!! The Marlin Papoose was a jam-o-matic too. I had the Stainless/synthetic one. I also was fighting with 2 Feather AT-22 take down rifles, what an engineering nightmare! I customized a Ruger 10/22 into a takedown rifle and my Springfield M6 is awesome. I also like the Taurus takedown pump action .22's, along with the Browning takedown .22 :thumb:

Attachments

·
Land of the free my....
2,631 Posts
My Henry AR7's were complete crap and kept jamming and they kept going full auto! Even the President of Henry couldn't fix them!!! The Marlin Papoose was a jam-o-matic too. I had the Stainless/synthetic one. I also was fighting with 2 Feather AT-22 take down rifles, what an engineering nightmare! I customized a Ruger 10/22 into a takedown rifle and my Springfield M6 is awesome. I also like the Taurus takedown pump action .22's, along with the Browning takedown .22 :thumb:

The pic didn't copy with the post but that is awesome!

Craig

·
Registered
461 Posts
Its a pretty good rifle the only problem is when surviving is that ammo cant be made in the wilderness so at some point you run out so i usally just snare fish and spear my way through survival
that is easier said than done. spearing fish and snaring takes tons of knowledge and not just the kind you read in a book. you will find yourself very hungry, very fast. you cant just set a snare and you cant just spear a fish. you need to have years of experience doing these things before actually perfecting these methods. In my opinion the henry is NOT a good survival option it is very fragile need to be spotlessly clean all the time, And does not fire flawlessly. It need high grade ammo to shoot well enough to hunt with. but that is just my opinion. Also i think this should be in the firearms section.

·
Registered
697 Posts
that is easier said than done. spearing fish and snaring takes tons of knowledge and not just the kind you read in a book. you will find yourself very hungry, very fast. you cant just set a snare and you cant just spear a fish. you need to have years of experience doing these things before actually perfecting these methods. In my opinion the henry is NOT a good survival option it is very fragile need to be spotlessly clean all the time, And does not fire flawlessly. It need high grade ammo to shoot well enough to hunt with. but that is just my opinion. Also i think this should be in the firearms section.
Amen to that!!!

·
Registered
697 Posts
How? Lets hear it, I am interested?
I cut back the fore arm on a Butler Creek Folding Stock, and I used a Ramline Quick Takedown kit for quick removal of the barrel. Bought the kit on Ebay but they are quite rare. I am totally looking for the Ramline lightweight barrel that is discontinued. Synthetic cover over a steel tube. The factory barrel adds the weight still...must use a factory tapered style barrel for the Ramline Takedown Kit too so no bull barrels.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I have the Henry survival rifle. When I first got it, it would always fail to load the last round of the magazine. I made no adjustments to anything, and after about 500 rounds of ammo it never jams now.

It sits in my GHB that is in my truck along with a pill bottle with about 80 rounds. I would not carry it with me hunting because carrying a second gun seems too redundant.

I really like the fact that it is a semi auto, and if all else fails, you can still use it as a single shooter by loading one round at a time into the chamber.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts