Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im planing a wilderness camp out with my Buddie and my younger brother (14) in about a months time . i want to bring a 22. just in case i was going u but one of these in camouflage http://www.henryrepeating.com/h002_survival.cfm i like the fact it barrel and receiver stores in the stock i figure it will be good or should i bee looking at something else .Thank you .

·
Elitist Gun Snob
1,365 Posts
I would look at something else. The barrel is a very thin piece of poorly rifled low quality steel that is sleeved by plastic. If you're looking for something along the lines of this rifle, get a Ruger 10/22 with a folding stock. Not quite as compact, but there is no assembly time, and it goes boom every single time.

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
I've considered the Henry survival rifle myself. From what I understand its just not made to last. Deadhorrorfan is dead on about the barrel and I'll second the ruger 10/22 recommendation. Another small light .22 is the walther P22. Its a accurate pistol that is pretty popular, small and lightweight. On the P22 though, I would avoid the longer 5in barrel version as the compensator is a POS that can turn independant of the pistol thus rotating your front sight. Go with the 3.5in barrel on the P22 if you like the model.

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
The Henry AR7 has pretty poor accuracy as well as being unreliable with feed problems.

What about a Marlin Papoose? The barrel comes off them to turn it into a good short pack rifle.
Or the 10/22?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a charter arms AR-7, and everyone here is right on with the whole cheaply made parts and feed/ejection issues. In addition to that, once I get the barrel and everything into the stock it takes a whole lot of force and usually another tool to get everything back out. Maybe the Henry is different on that part (I haven't heard anyone else complain about it).

The accuracy is marginal at best. Picky about ammo too.

·
Free Trapper
189 Posts
Wiggy, My rifle did the same when removing it from the stock. Very tight and needed a pair of needlenosed pliers to pull the barrel out of it's slot. Simple fix was done with a piece of sandpaper and 5 mins to slightly enlarge the hole the barrel slides into. Also, the FTF and FTE problems can be solved by chamfering the lower edge of the feed ramp. Worked on mine and several others that have come in the shop. Now they all feed the cheaper, bulkpack ammo flawlessly. I posted pics of where this should be done in another thread with a similar title months ago. With a little tweaking, these rifles run like a champ. It is a novel little rifle that should provide camp meat if you work out these bugs. Good luck and God Bless! Jerry

·
glock snob
346 Posts
if you can find a m6 you better buy it i just bought one and paid a mint for it ! still in the box never shot , thier awsome !! also my henery works fine ,disasamble it clean it and then put it back togather with good ol m16 grease and it will work fine !!

·
Duty - Honor - Country
6 Posts
I keep a Henery AR-7 in my backpack. I've had it awhile and like the light weight of it and the way it breaks down. I've had a problem with the roller pin that connects the stock to the action. The threads stripped out after just a few months of use. Henry replaced the complete stock free of charge (free shipping too) and it works great. A solid steel barrel can be purchased on line along with many other add-ons. Bottom line, It suits it's purpose. A simple camp gun, for bringing in small varmets that will end up roasting over the fire pit. I have other rifles for the bigger stuff, but this .22 shooter is always along for the walkabout or weekend camp trip.

·
Registered
163 Posts
m6's are the ticket if you can find/afford them, other than that i would rather have the H&R survivor in .410/45LC, or the larger one in .223 with the .22 chamber insert/.308 with .32 chamber insert

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I own a Henry AR7. It sits in my truck 24/7 as an emergency firearm, and that is all it is really good for. Not very accurate, not very durable, but it won't break my heart if someone breaks into my truck and steals it...which is why it is in there. I probably wouldn't even bother lugging it around in a backpack, and I never have.

I would not want to rely on it for anything, but it is certainly better than nothing if push comes to shove.

·
Simmer down now
1,711 Posts
I must have the only Henry AR-7 that was actually inspected during QC.

Fires fine, no jams at all using Winchester Wildcats. Accuracy is fair for what the rifle is. I think that anyone that expects their Henry to be as accurate as a 10/22 has a screw loose.

You can't buy a gun like this expecting it to perform like a precision instrument. For what it's designed to be, mine functions fine. YMMV

·
Free Born
2,446 Posts
Does anyone look at the post date on threads? 2008!

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
Yeah, I have all three- the 10/22 with folding stock, stainless. An AR7. And a 22/410 over under. Out of the three... 10/22 most functional. 22/410 best for hunting. 410 birdshot to buckshot and a 22 LR for small game. AR7 is a good beater- does what it does. 10/22 bit more expensive, but worth it. Buy used. Savage 24s and M6 folding survival rifles are costly But cool. Especially now with the Judge revolvers and circuit judge carbine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts