Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you own a Henry AR-7? What are your thoughts on it?

I was thinking about getting one as a Packable Survival Rifle but wanted to get everyone's opinion. I think it is more packable than the 10/22 but the 10/22 is more versatile (I'm guessing).

Thanks

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts
You cannot go wrong with either rifle. The AR-7 is more compact and floats (if that is important for your purposes), and the 10/22 has more potential for upgrades if you find that necessary.

I do not think that one is more versatile than the other, especially if you are considering the 10/22 takedown version.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,817 Posts
you will find hundreds of posts on the Henry Survival Rifle here with a quick search.

some folks hate it, some defend it. Some like that it floats (sorta) some think it is a gimmick.

someone else will mention the version that Charter Arms made.

I have owned several. I don't own any at this time.
I can shoot well with them and they have functioned well for me.

I find a Ruger Mark II with a longer barrel to be more useful overall (but it will not usually float.)

·
Retired Army
5,536 Posts
I find a Ruger Mark II with a longer barrel to be more useful overall (but it will not usually float.)
It just rides lower in the water.:rolleyes:

OP, if you don't mind, I will offer this list of previous posts: AR7 Posts

Al

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Just to stir the pot, I've heard both can be whiney about the ammo used. I like bolters for just this reason. Suppressors are legal here, I have a cast plastic dealie that works well with subs, perfecto foraging. Just sayin'.....

·
Registered
12,803 Posts
If money was no object,
I would take the Ruger break down platform and rebuild the stock for the plastic coated foam the AR7 uses. the fore stock is not necessary,(make it optional) for a survival event and one could store a scope in the water proof butt stock, or magazines.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I own the Henry version and after shooting a few mags for break-in, it shoots everything I run through it! I believe the AR-7 will fill the role it's designed for... Survival... Nothing more, nothing less!

·
Learning
6,700 Posts
My folks bought a Henry survival rifle. It is really cool and it was on sale. I've been tempted to buy one.

I'd also love a Marlin Pappoose, but my LGS was way high on the price.

Have you ever considered a Chiappa Little Badger or a Double Badger?

If you want semi-auto though the takedown Ruger is the way to go.

·
swamp rat
2,533 Posts
Here is something to consider. Take a look at the new, redesigned Ruger Charger. They just released a take-down version.

http://www.ruger.com/products/22Charger/models.html
I had a Charger and sold it. I wish that I hadn't tho. My biggest problem was no iron sights. I ran into a guy who had made a stock for his that was a steel rod which screwed into the back of the grip with another thicker and shorter steel rid that screwed onto the shoulder end perpendicular. He also had the bi-pod and a nice pistol scope. It was very cool and very illegal. His opinion was that no one would care much in a survival scenario so to "heck" with the authorities. It really made the Charger a much improved weapon.
I have the take-down 10/22. I'll sell it and get the take-down Charger when it comes out.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Well just put me in the "Henry AR-7s don't work" camp. I have yet to see one that works. Not to say that they don't or can't, I've never seen one. The ones we have got were sent back to Henry because they jammed every shot, Can you say "test fired"? If they were (which I doubt) why did they let a gun out that jammed every shot? When the AR-7s came back, it looked like the the chamber was reamed with a rat tail file and now fired once and jammed. A 100% improvement! And they test fired THAT and thought it was good? JUNK!

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
The Charger take down might make my list. The original Charger ain't a slouch either. I do wish they had iron sights though.

I have a Papoose; rarely shoot it; last time I did, I saw that I needed to do work on the mags.

The 10/22's, including the TD's, which I have a few, well, they fare much better especially in magazine reliability, and types of and availability. If I had to take any one of them out and live with that choice, it'd be one of the 10/22's, even the TD's. The mags are that much better and the platform is much more reliable. The TD's once assembled feel like a regular 10/22 and operate just as well.

Although I had initially wanted an AR7 for some time, when I went to finally pick one up- I didn't like how it felt, assembled, etc. After holding one, I no longer wanted one. Oh, and a number of people that have owned them will argue about it being waterproof. It may float, but often the cases aren't watertight. Guess that might mean wet ammo, corrosion, etc when you go to open the case a year from now and expect it to be dry. A floating gun is neat; but unless the contents are kept dry, .....

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
You'll find from reading all the other AR7 threads that half the people hate it and have love it.
Most of the pre-henry models has issues though sometimes there were good ones. Most of the Henry made work fine though there are some that have issues.
remember too its meant to be a pack gun, its not designed to run 1000's of rounds.
I bought one new a few years ago and pulled it straight out of the box and ran 200 rounds without a single problem, this was without cleaning or lubing as I wanted to give it a good hard test.

·
I'M READY!!
4,294 Posts
Mine works great. Its a newer Henry one. A good blast of action cleaner and a bit of oil every couple hundred rounds keeps it operating smoothly. It lives in my 4wheelers cargo box. I use it for plinking when Im taking a break from riding. I would also trust it to put small game in the stew pot if need be. What it isnt is a comfortable, ergonomic range gun.

·
In Memory
10,934 Posts

T/C G2 Contender is my go to survival weapon.

A lot of versatility, but considerably more $$$$$$

·
Registered
12,119 Posts
I collect .22's.
I have a Charter arms AR-7, shoots well, but it doubles...fires on trigger reset sometimes.

I have a newer Henry, cycles well, the front sight moves, and I had to move it almost all the way left to get it zeroed. But it carries two mags, the CA only 1. The CA barrel won't fit the Henry.:(

And I have the newer 10/22 takedown. Haven't made it through a full mag without a failure yet. Tried the BX mags, older mags...I guess it needs more break in. Shoots ok accuracy wise, but not great with the two ammo types I've tried.

On the other hand, I have 4 bolt guns that cost under $125 each that will shoot multiple shots inside a dime at 25 yards, much better than the Henry or any of the 4 10/22s I have.

It comes down to preferences. The Henry is not that ergonomic, but gets small, and shoots ok with the ammo I've tried. You could probably replace most of the parts in the FCG using mild steel plate, a hacksaw and a file

The Ruger is a better feeling rifle to use, though not as small, and heavier, and it's 50% more money up front. Parts are everywhere, but are more complicated.

The good news...they aren't that much in the relative cost of life, over the next 17 months, you could obtain both by saving a dollar a day.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts