Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv been wanting to get a hammock for a little while now and this entire time iv been drawn to the Hennessy hammocks. I was curious if anyone has one, used one or had a review of one. The one I'm looking at is $160 had a bug net and rainfly. (They have some that can be stood up with a couple poles instead of trees but cost more)

If anyone can give a few words if it's worth the money or has a better alternative id love to hear it, I know how simple it is to get a $20 hammock and throw a tarp up, but quality, durability and comfort wise is it worth the extra money. Not to mention it's not like you can throw up a bug bet for thos mosquitos.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Personally I 'd shy away tron the bottom entry units but for input from users I 'd suggest you go over to hammock fourms and talk to those that know.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Use the "Search this Forum" tab in the upper right. That topic has been addressed repeatedly. Posts on hammocks galore, as well as the Hennesey Hammock specifically.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Got one too, 'under' (LOL!) entry with velco and all. Very good thing once you (sorry) get the hang of it. Finally, those ever uncomfortable closed cell foam mattresses have a real purpose. Get a cheap one and experiment with trimming the sides down a bit, they are good under insulation, level out the sleeping surface and tend to hold the sides out a little, increasing your area inside. The pad'll probably end up coffin shaped. I use a short thin Therm-a-rest, that works well too.

I also made a much bigger tarp by turning a 3 man pup tent tarp sideways and adding a new ridge tape. The original tarp is just barely, and I do mean barely, big enough. In case of paranoia, I can double pitch the tarps with a foot or so gap between them.

Don't bother with snake skins, I just pack mine away with the head rope hanging out. Tie onto tree, hold bag, walk backwards. You soon get good at eyeballing distances.

Carry a couple of 20 foot pieces of para cord, if you hang on uneven or steep ground, you may need to get inventive with the tarp.

Lastly, invest (if you havent already) in a SAK with the saw blade. They utterly perfect for trimming back brush, finger thick branches etc. Sure you could just snap them off but that doesn't sit well with me, I like a nice clean job. Besides, if you are ever back that way you have a site all ready to go.

The thing I most like about hammocks is the way previously hell-on-earth real estate becomes prime property. One of my favorites was a steep bank overlooking a river, I pulled myself up from scrub to bush, hung between 2 trees at the base of a bluff and settled in for the night. As night fell the slight over hang of the bluff lit up with glow worms only a few feet away. Glow worms, chuckling river I was going flyfish the next day, peace truly settled upon the land.....

·
Survivor
5,533 Posts
I started with a Hennessy, but didnt like the all inclusive package of only a sleeping system setup. Now I use a Grand Trunk hammock and a 10x12 Silnylon tarp. Big enough for rainy days and open to different combinations of sleeping or sitting arrangements.

It's worth the dough in quality, but I prefer the flexibility of a component system. The Asym feature is a welcome comfort though.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have a HH Explorer Deluxe with their typhoon rain fly and the supershelter. I love the setup, and one of the best investments I've made. Moved up from a cheapie and the upgrade was well worth it. Saving up for a topquilt/underquilt right now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts