Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Im working on some tool kits for packs, and need some advice. I want to maximize efficiency, while cutting weight and cost

For my packs Im thinking:
-Irwin 6" needle nose vise grips with wire cutters (only because I cant find stand alone multi tool style needle nose slip joint pliers with wire cutters)
-4 way screwdriver (just have to find one that isnt crap that will rust)
-Razor knife with extra blades
-Slip joint pliers vs 6" long by 1" jaw adjustable wrench ???

I already have: kabar bk11, kabar bowie, kabar fighter, frost mora clippers, bahco laplander folding saws, leatherman wave, hoaning stones and rods, parachord, gorilla glue duct tape, super glue, etc.

Any help or constructive critisiscm will be greatly appreciated. Any undo negativity will be your time wasted.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hello All,

Im working on some tool kits for packs, and need some advice. I want to maximize efficiency, while cutting weight and cost

For my packs Im thinking:
-Irwin 6" needle nose vise grips with wire cutters (only because I cant find stand alone multi tool style needle nose slip joint pliers with wire cutters)
-4 way screwdriver (just have to find one that isnt crap that will rust)
-Razor knife with extra blades
-Slip joint pliers vs 6" long by 1" jaw adjustable wrench ???

I already have: kabar bk11, kabar bowie, kabar fighter, frost mora clippers, bahco laplander folding saws, leatherman wave, hoaning stones and rods, parachord, gorilla glue duct tape, super glue, etc.

Any help or constructive critisiscm will be greatly appreciated. Any undo negativity will be your time wasted.
Good start. I would suggest adding:

1) At least one roll of black electrical.
2) Misc. electrical wire nuts and crimp connectors.
3) A small assortment of washers,nuts, screws and bolts
4) A sturdy pair of linesman pliers (preferably Kleins)
5) A small hacksaw
6) A 10" adjustable wrench (You can call it a Marine Corp socket set)

This, added to what you have, will see you through 90% of situations, IMHO.

·
Registered
12,887 Posts
Vise grip makes a good needle nose multy tool I like . Craftsman (Sears) make a crecent wrench that opens larger than standard .
Being a professional , I prefir using regular side cutters wire cutters than to use a cutters on plyers . real work requires real tools, not toys.
The steel that stands up to work is going to rust , that is a fact. Taking care of tools ,keeping them clean dry and lubricated is all part of the responsibility of owning them,as well as knowing how to properly use them .
The best screw driver can be distroied by misuse , and correct handeling will eventually develop ware,
A nice multi screwdriver is 6 way . the shaft is both 1/4 and 5/16 with tips to match .
If the shaft has a hex reciever in the handle there's another wrench size.
hard ware stores are good for these , keep in mind replacment tips as well .
One thing about these type of screw driver , they will not stand up to being used as a pry bar ,like you would a regular driver , and their large shaft holding the tip does not always fit down into the holes some screws are resessed in. it is wher the correct tool shines and the multi tool fails. They are good tools but every thing has it's limitations.
Learn to take care of your tools, keep the rust off .
Stainless steel is too soft ,you won't find it a good tool material.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Vise grip makes a good needle nose multy tool I like . Craftsman (Sears) make a crecent wrench that opens larger than standard .
Being a professional , I prefir using regular side cutters wire cutters than to use a cutters on plyers . real work requires real tools, not toys.
A nice multi screwdriver is 6 way . the shaft is both 1/4 and 5/16 with tips to match .
Vise grips double as a tool for holding and as a wrench, if you really don't care how bad you strip a bolt vise grips will work great, having needle nose and regular size would give all I think you'd need in this department. I agree about the larger crescent wrench, I'm always reaching for my larger wrench.

6-way screw drivers are nice, get one with plenty of space in the handle to add more bits. A 5/16", 1/4" and 3/8", a phillips, regular and torx are all you should need in there.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Buy TWO sets of the Stanley units that have a reversible tip and an extra hundred bits of varying applications. One thing you can't do much about...

ISS

·
Apprentice Geezer
2,497 Posts
Tools depend on what you intend to do.
For mechanical work you really need a well outfitted tool box; I try to limit myself to what fits in a 7.62 ammo can for my portable mechanical kit. It includes every thing I need to completely disassemble and reassemble my Jeep. A list would be quite long, and it is too heavy to lug more than a couple of miles through the woods. Additionally I carry welding supplies to glue the jeep back together when it breaks.
For wood working an entirely different set of tools is necessary, this is also true for gardening, plumbing etc. with a few cases of overlap.
I don't carry tools in my pack; especially not a multi-tool (too heavy and not particularly useful for me) If I am in the jeep I have a multitude of tools to repair/modify things, if I am away from the Jeep there is nothing to fix that requires mechanical tools.
The extent of my backpacking tools consists of; a SAK (Victornox tinker), a thumbnail drive, a medium fixed blade knife and 2 saws (a Svensaw and a small custom folding saw attached to the fixed blade sheath) and a sewing kit. Other things like a walking staff, fire steel, portable lights, compass, etc could be considered tools but I don't include them because their ability to manufacture/modify/repair things is secondary.

My advice figure out what your end goal/purpose is then select tools to accomplish it (and figure out a way to transport them).

Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
I have a garage filled with roll away tool boxes. I have a machinist tool box for my measuring tools and cutting tools for grinding, drilling, turning and milling parts. I started a plumbing tool box and a electrician box for all the tools of the trades. A volt meter, amp meter, linemen gloves, benders,and standard tools.My wood working tool are hand planes,hang drills,power tools, routers,saws,drill press,table saw, compressors, vacuum, clamps,etc.My plumbing tools are a full set of pipe wrenches, pipe threading tools, rod equipment.chain snaps,brazing tools, welder, portable band saw, chop saws,etc

I keep 4 heavy duty jack stands and a full set of sockets up to 3 inches.I have engine stands and air tools etc.I use my tools to make extra money.Most of this stuff would be left behind if I had to bug out.

·
Registered
106 Posts
This is for a pack you will be carrying? "kabar bk11, kabar bowie, kabar fighter".
I would ditch two of the knives. I have one knife after doing an eleven mile hike with my pack. I ditched anything redundant like that in place of things that could do the job of both almost as well. If it is to stay in your car, full metric toolset (standard not needed for most vehicles), two pair vicegrips, hammer, 3 sizes crescent wrenches, electrical tape and small amount of wire, needle nose pliers, fuse puller/tester, battery jumper pack, flat tire repair items, screwdrivers... trying to think off the top of my head what I have.

A multitool is not required in the kit as this should be EDC.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts