2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a recurve and i would either like to make a long bow,arrows or both
well what all would i need
and what wood is best for the bow?

·
Intemporaliter Fidelis
282 Posts
How much experience do you have building bows? if you are just getting started the first thing you should do is buy a copy of the boyers bible. Second, google search the boyers den. They have some great build alongs. you could also google "building a red oak bow". There is a nice little build along online.

Do Not. I Repeat Do Not use osage as a first build. It is very expensive and not for a beginner.

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
Hi Pugs, there are several reasonable books in the Survival Files section on making bows, including self-bows. Osage orange would be a good choice of wood.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree that osage is one of the best woods to build a self bow out of.Also hickory its easier to come buy.The important thing with osage is to follow the growth ring all the way down.And selecting a stave that the growth ring are not to close together.If they are it will be harder to follow the growth ring all the way down without violating the growth ring underneth it.If this is your first time building a bow I would recommend hickory.In fact if you want to get your feet wet building bows start out with a simple board bow.With one of these you can purchase a red oak or hickory board from your local lumber store.Trim it to the shape of your desired bow,back it with something.Such as linen rawhide bamboo etc.Then you can put it on a tillering tree and tiller that baby to bend perfectly.Of course it easier said then done.It takes practice to tiller a bow properly.The limbs have to bend equally without breaking.To much stress in any one spot will cause it to hinge or explode.Use caution.Google board bows.It should bring up some useful info.Hope this helps.Tradrick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts