Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Freedom Is Not Free
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter's science teacher sent them home with a question that they need to answer and bring in proof from the net for class tomorrow:

What is the largest object by volume in the U.S.?

She was unable to find anything in her 30 min. search. She had to go to bed so I took over and told her she would have a clue in the morning so she could find it before going to school, and print it out.

Let the search begin, and thanks for your help.

Cory

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
stupid question.... what is an "object"?

worlds largest ball of twine? the Super Dome? the water behind the Hoover damn? maybe a mountain? the continental shield?

·
Freedom Is Not Free
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the teacher could haven't been more vague if she tried. So far I've come up with the Grand Canyon as a naturaly occuring one and the Georgia aquarium as man made(8 million gallons)

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
That's a pretty tall order. The Mississippi River is the largest river? Lake Superior is the largest lake by volume. Let us know what the answer is.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
it is but the air we breathe, young grasshoppa...:D:

ok, I dunno. but it's something for me to think about for a spell...

edit:
ask the daughter WHAT was being discussed when the question came up...often teachers will pose a question that will maek them think and relate it to the topic...

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
It is either the VAB at Kennedy Space Center (vehicle assembly building) or the Boeing Plant in Washington state. A building is an object, a sea or a canyon is not an object... let me go on line and look....

VAB_____3,665,013 cubic meters

Boeing 13,365,551.648 cubic meters

Boeing is almost 10 million more cubic meters than the VAB.... I think that would make it the largest object by volume. Now if the teacher is a dunce regarding what an "object" is then pick the pacific ocean...

·
Freedom Is Not Free
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone so far, I will let you know what the teacher says tomorrow night. Razor, those are some big buildings.

·
Freedom Is Not Free
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The "object" question was something I couldn't narrow down. The teacher only gave them the question that I started this with.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
The "object" question was something I couldn't narrow down. The teacher only gave them the question that I started this with.
If it is man-made it is the Boeing building,which is the largest in the world. If it is natural it has to be the pacific ocean.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
I was going to go with the hunk of floating goo in the pacific,

then I thought about the interstate highway system,

but there won't be any data on "volume"...so for now I am going with the Hoover Dam...at 4.36 million cubic yards of concrete. That's a pretty big THING...

·
Freedom Is Not Free
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
THis thread has covered it all. From the serious to the silly thanks.
Right now Razor and Jerry seem to be in the lead.
I'm still looking and printing out the data.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts