Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Tankgirl
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've wanted a khukuri for ages, a genuine Nepalese one, but when you Google khukuri house there seems to be a million different ones all claiming to be the genuine one. can someone point me in the right direction I wouldn't want to spend that amount of money on a fake!

·
Survival Actual
4,684 Posts
I've wanted a khukuri for ages, a genuine Nepalese one, but when you Google khukuri house there seems to be a million different ones all claiming to be the genuine one. can someone point me in the right direction I wouldn't want to spend that amount of money on a fake!
I have actually spoken with kukri house before, concerning another fake one. I sent them a pic and they quickly identified it as one of their "tourist" models. roughly $20 retail.

They're very nice there, and probably point you to a legitimate seller if you ask.
http://www.khukurihouseonline.com/

For a tip, stay away from the ones that have coins glued onto the sheaths. Those i believe are the tourist models.

·
Psalm 91
502 Posts
I used to have a himalayan imports ang khola.
Extremely well made knife, very sharp, very thick blade.
My main complaint is the size of the handle, it is made for people with very small hands.
I would not buy another one for that reason, I would like to get a Cold Steel, personally.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You want a real Khukuri, go to the website "House of Athena." Also, everything Cold Steel makes will kill you fast. You can get real, battle-ready swords of all sort. Beware! I consider a real sword more dangerous than a handgun. If you've never handled a carbon steel, battle-ready sword, you're in for a surprise.

·
Registered
13,841 Posts
Back in the late 60s I met and became good friends with a young man from Malaysia .
He was about 19 at the time.
He had been working as a guide during the Viet nam war in the jungles.
Any way, he carried a Khukuri since he was 12 and actually had to defend his life with it.
His knife was better detailed than commercial ones sold or made available now days. Having made knives of my own, I could appreciate his more than most teenagers might.
The deep full moon cut out at the base has a definite trim fork facing the opening not a sloppy or fat one.
The body of the blade has 2 wide hollow grounds on either side and the blade tapers smoothly from the back to the edge of the blade ,I think was about 3/16" thick.
The grip was laminated/stacked, horn and leather if I remember right. The 2 spare blades were beautiful as well not cheesy like I see offered now days.
We had gone our separate ways and later I found a Krulri in a sporting goods store in Lawrence Mass.
It was not the same exactly, but I was glad to find what I did.
It's a chromed wall hanger , with water buffalo horn handle and leather sheath and small blades . one of those things that take you back in time.
Any knife you get now days is not going to be exactly the same as the originals simply because artisans change for production purposes and even religious reasons.
But we are talking practical here and that is where companies like cold steel come in and provide a similar tool designed more utilitarian than combat. More production than religious.
For this reason If I were choosing one for EDC it would be full tang and good carbon steel , with a ballistic nylon sheath, or preferably one of my own design.
The grip panels can be made of any thing practical .
I like the idea of a lanyard ,I use them on some of my other knives.
It's for work not for show.
It is a throwing knife ,however ,,
i'd recommend making some junk knives for learning with, the same weight and design.
They don't have to be pretty, they are going to get messed up ,till you become proficient.
Have fun.

·
here for the experience
53 Posts
modifications

Good info in other posts. Him. Imports, if you're wanting a real item, are solid, and there are places in the states that sell them. i've had several and love 'em. Sharpening and handle/blade modifications can be had through Northern Knives, Anchorage -- don't know where else.

·
Banned
1,931 Posts
Cold steel fan as well, Never tried their khukuri I just debated between those 2 & a few others. In the end, the Ka-Bar version won me over for one reason or another I dont remember.

No complaints so far.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.