Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a preparedness group in my area and I am trying to get the word out. Any ideas on what I can do? I am currently giving lectures at churches about the importance of being prepared, i've tried getting into schools but have been shot down. What can I do to spread the word? Should we be using our network and knowledge to spread the truth? What are the possible negatives associated with doing this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I saw that you are in Florida.

I would play off the Hurricane Scenario, mentioning Katrina and showing how FL is a Pennisula.

Start with Food, First Aid, Water and Community Groups. Keep it calm, go slow and avoid politics.

The group dynamics will only work if you guys share a common thread. Neighborhood, Social Group, etc.

Empower others and ask them to speak as group speakers. Network, Network, Network without giving out too much info. Hurricanes, remember? Good for the Community, crime watch. Open the eyes and strengthen the community.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would play off the Hurricane Scenario, mentioning Katrina and showing how FL is a Pennisula.

Start with Food, First Aid, Water and Community Groups. Keep it calm, go slow and avoid politics.

The group dynamics will only work if you guys share a common thread. Neighborhood, Social Group, etc.

Empower others and ask them to speak as group speakers. Network, Network, Network without giving out too much info. Hurricanes, remember? Good for the Community, crime watch. Open the eyes and strengthen the community.
Great Ideas! Thanks! didnt even think about incorporating crime watch...ill keep opsec out of it tho lol

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,430 Posts
pickneters,

Your profile says you are in Florida.

The disaster de jour down there hurricane. I think that's the angle I would take. Start asking the question, "How will you prepare for the next Hurricane Andrew, Katrina or Camille?" "What will you do after the wind and rain die down?"

I'd use that as a hook to get them in. After the discussion about hurricane prep, then move into prepping in general.

I think there are a lot of people out there who view the word "Survivalist" with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Can you put together a "Preparedness Expo"?
Start a local blog
Word of mouth
Stress "We as a group need to stick together to help ourselves"

I think the last thing you want to do is get labled a militia or some kind of nut case, that's the fine line we all walk with our own family and community.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pickneters,

Your profile says you are in Florida.

The disaster de jour down there hurricane. I think that's the angle I would take. Start asking the question, "How will you prepare for the next Hurricane Andrew, Katrina or Camille?" "What will you do after the wind and rain die down?"

I'd use that as a hook to get them in. After the discussion about hurricane prep, then move into prepping in general.

I think there are a lot of people out there who view the word "Survivalist" with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Can you put together a "Preparedness Expo"?
Start a local blog
Word of mouth
Stress "We as a group need to stick together to help ourselves"

I think the last thing you want to do is get labled a militia or some kind of nut case, that's the fine line we all walk with our own family and community.
Very true telling them to buy 5000 rounds of 7.62x39 may not be a good idea...I have been using the hurricane angle and people are receptive...thanks!

·
Set Free
1,352 Posts
I started a preparedness group in my area and I am trying to get the word out. Any ideas on what I can do? I am currently giving lectures at churches about the importance of being prepared, i've tried getting into schools but have been shot down. What can I do to spread the word? Should we be using our network and knowledge to spread the truth? What are the possible negatives associated with doing this?

Thanks!
Keep up the Good Work!

·
American fearmaker
14,248 Posts
Use FEMA as your ploy because FEMA urges all of us to be prepared for emergencies. Introduce people and children to the FEMA website complete with - get this - FREE classes on emergencies...

http://training.fema.gov/IS/crslist.asp

http://www.fema.gov/prepared/train.shtm

When you or the students take a class and pass the required test, you get nice certificate telling people that you passed the course. It's really kind of a neat way to lure people into prepping and the nice part is that our own government encourages us to do so!! Now how patriotic is that???

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Encourage everyone to get their CCW and then get a good instructor to come and teach for a couple days of rifle and pistol courses. Have someone do a CPR/1st Aid or First Responder class.

Do it on a weekend, otherwise nobody will show and keep it cheap or nobody will take it. Make it easy and enjoyable.

·
Why is the Rum gone?
4,774 Posts
I'm impressed by your attitude. Maybe find local groups like the Scouts and offer to give a talk and activity session based on preparedness.
This is a great idea.
Offer to teach the Merit Badge classes for Emergency Preparedness and/or Wilderness Survival and/or First Aid to the boys in the local troop(s).
Ask the parents of the Scouts if they want to sit in on the classroom and field sessions.
These classes usually spark family conversations in those areas and get people to thinking. Especially when the Scouts are putting together their kits.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My community does this very well. We do everything through our church groups. Most of the information is spread by people talking to their neighbors, but there are flyers posted in all the city buildings about how to participate and what it is about.

Our philosophy, and that of the city, is that the city will never have the ability to see to everyone's needs in a disaster. So we take care of ourselves and our neighbors and report the big things to the city, like gas lines and water mains.

Most everyone in our neighborhood goes to the same church, so communication on a weekly basis is pretty easy. We are organized by city blocks. Everything is on a voluntary basis. We have volunteer block captains whose job it is to know everyone on their blocks and their needs, i.e. disabilities, widows, oxygen, and to know their resources, like chainsaws, trailers, ATV's, excavation equipment, etc. If you want to keep your preps to yourself that is fine, but our philosophy is that we are much stronger and capable as a community than we ever could be alone. The block captains are by no means 'survivalists', they are just good, caring, responsible citizens. In an emergency, they assess the status of their blocks and report to the neighborhood leader, who reports to the city. We are very lucky to have the support of our church and the city in our efforts.

We don't just prepare for emergencies though. There are several elderly families in the neighborhood who live on an acre or so and have large gardens and orchards. They don't have the means or physical ability to keep up their land, so they enlist the help of the scouts and anyone else who wants to help. The rule is, if you help take care of the garden/orchard, you are free to take whatever you need for your family. Most people just take a few bags of vegetables each week for dinner, there is no hoarding of produce.

All this has taken a long time to achieve and a lot of thought and effort. It also takes support from the city and our church. It also takes good communication between neighbors and a willingness to share and help others. The result is a sense of community, security, and a feeling that we, as a collection of city blocks, can deal with any event that may happen to us.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.