Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all.....this is the deal, I'm pretty confident that we will see another assault weapons ban, and probably without the grandfather clause or sunset provision of the last one. Granted,I could be wrong,hope I am, but considering the history and statements of those now in power, one would be an idiot not to at least give VERY serious consideration to the possibility.
I've been a fan of assault rifles for some time, and own..uh..a couple, or so.
But considering the present climate, I want to be careful not to get stuck holding a bunch of high-dollar toys that could conceivably make me a felon someday,especially when they could make me a bunch of cash,now.
Don't misunderstand me, I'm as big a subscriber to the "Molon Labe" ideal as many of you,and I'll say it right here, I'll bury the sum-bitches if I gotta,but I'd rather not stick extra guns in the ground, when I can (gag:() sell some now, for pretty good money. Keep in mind, this ain't my "plan A",I'm just trying to adapt to the present realities, unpleasant as they may be.
A couple weekends ago, I went to a gunshow near Atlanta, and sold one of my beloved AK's. I was asking only $200 more than I had in it, and sold it 10 minutes after walking in the door. I then went and bought a .357 revolver,
(a beautiful Ruger GP100 that I've been slobbering over for years !! But I digress......) and a used 5-shot 870 pump shotgun from a freind,specifically because both revolvers and 5-shot pumps seem to have been bypassed in the latest anti-gun legislation, and hopefully will remain so.
Now, to the point of this query, I'm wringing my hands over selling an all original,Colt SP1 (car15),mint condition,low-low miles,that I bought new when I was stationed at Camp Pendleton in the early 80's. ( in fact,first gun I ever bought).To sweeten the deal, I'd throw in several mags and a few hundred round of xm193, without missing them. I'm thinking,that in the present climate, I could get $1500 plus,easy, and that would supplement my cash reserves,and go towards more silver and gold eagles ( which I've lately taken a liking to).
Keep in mind, this wouldn't leave me with a firearm/ammo deficit. My sacrifice would mostly be sentimental. Which means,of course,if nothing materializes, then I look and feel like an idiot for selling "my precious", but again, I don't think so, and after all, it's only "stuff",right?
What say "the matrix" ?

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply,T. and I respect your resolve, but that doesn't address my situation, or the "present realities" as i've described them.:)
Same to you, GF, thanks, but I already said this would not leave me with any deficit. Seriously, I can only shoot one at a time! And I only have so many nephews to arm !!

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another point, though I have deep affection for this decades-old toy of mine, since "going to the darkside",as they call it, and getting my first AK, i've felt that the AR system was a finicky,over-engineered, BS weapons system.
Admitteddly, the AR is lighter and more accurate, and I don't recall ever having a jam or malfunction, in the military or with my personal rifles,but compared to the AK, it's an expensive,over complicated, difficult to clean rifle.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
I decided to only buy what I really needed. Not bashing anyone here with tons of guns, there are many I would love to own( a really sweet M1 carbine amongst them), but I have a Glock 27 that will be my carry pistol/home gun, an AK-47 for a general purpose rifle, and an old Marlin .22 for game getting/marksmanship/plinking. I am not one to judge on what firearms are best for others, but these work for me.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply,R, but I also posted this over in "general", and as I said over there, this doesn't address the issues I presented. If the "gubment" outlaws or confiscates every gun you now own, then you likely won't
regret the ones you sold ! Right ?

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
I'm like Rshooter. I buy guns and don't sell too many. The ones I do I usually regret selling. Wait 6 months, your SP1 maybe worth twice what it is now, if you are determined to sell.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
(quote)"Wait 6 months, your SP1 maybe worth twice what it is now, if you are determined to sell."

Now THAT addresses the issue !!!:thumb: I'm just concerned that the Obamerator may start firing off the executive orders, or sign something already on the table ( HR1022) and catch us all napping.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Now, I've got a Bunch of EBR's to sell...

But I bought them to sell. (I have a stack of NIB WASR's I'm gonna flip at some point)

YOU seem to be selling them out of fear.
But considering the present climate, I want to be careful not to get stuck holding a bunch of high-dollar toys that could conceivably make me a felon someday,especially when they could make me a bunch of cash,now.
THat being the case I councel you to sell ALL of your guns NOW.

You obviously have no will to use them for their intended purpose.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wrong,Nomad, I fully understand their intended purpose, and am mortally afraid it really may come down to that. But as I said, I'm not willing to surrender them all, I just don't want to get stuck with more than I can realistically use, should it come to that.
A couple of my AK's, including the one I just sold, were in part purchased for the same reason you've accumulated so many, as potential investments.
But also, just 'cause I love AK's !! :D:

·
Registered
954 Posts
Remember...... gollum had a PRECIOUS TOO, look where it got him !:D:

Sell it & buy 2 cheaper ones, AKs maybe?

·
Registered
109 Posts
from my experience with previous bans u will get a higher price for your guns after the ban is actually in force.....that is if they grandfather existing weapons....i sold several hk 91 and 93s some norinco ak legends and an uzi or two after bush #1 banned importation.....i made a lot of money but still kicking myself in the ass over selling them...

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
(quote from OP ) "Keep in mind, this wouldn't leave me with a firearm/ammo deficit" ;)
Remember,boys, a small part of the objective is to end up with just a few LESS assault rifles, rather than MORE !!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts