Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3M 7800S mask and it is currently fitted with a FR-64 filter..

I would like to buy new filter(s) because the one I have I have used in a lot of dusty work situations and it is probably clogged or whatever..

Should I just get more FR-64 filters or what else is available?
What is the difference from the FR-57 filter?
Can't this mask also be fitted with 6000 series side filters like the 6003 filters my half face masks use?

What filters would be effective against, at minimum, viruses?

I think I have some parts with the mask to convert it to side filters or something.. I got it in a trade and don't know all that much about this stuff.. I like the mask a lot though.. It is very nice..

Thank you so much for some help understanding what I need or should get..

I also have a couple 3M 6000 series masks I might want to pick up some filters for..

What would be the minimum filters stop viruses and what filters are the best to stop, well, everything like radioactive fallout particles to military grade bio/chem weapons?

·
Emergency Manager
2,728 Posts
I have a 3M 7800S mask and it is currently fitted with a FR-64 filter..

I would like to buy new filter(s) because the one I have I have used in a lot of dusty work situations and it is probably clogged or whatever..

Should I just get more FR-64 filters or what else is available?
What is the difference from the FR-57 filter?
Can't this mask also be fitted with 6000 series side filters like the 6003 filters my half face masks use?

What filters would be effective against, at minimum, viruses?

I think I have some parts with the mask to convert it to side filters or something.. I got it in a trade and don't know all that much about this stuff.. I like the mask a lot though.. It is very nice..

Thank you so much for some help understanding what I need or should get..

I also have a couple 3M 6000 series masks I might want to pick up some filters for..

What would be the minimum filters stop viruses and what filters are the best to stop, well, everything like radioactive fallout particles to military grade bio/chem weapons?

You only need P100 to stop biological threats.

·
Cat and parrot whisperer
1,233 Posts
So here's a question. I know JACK about filters, etc. but it seems to me that for real blocking of epidemic type threats, one needs a full face mask and filter combo. Still not 100% certain of course, but at least a good component. So would a facemask and filter combination like that linked below be sufficient? I assume I'd need to get some N100 cartridge filters that they sell for this mask to be as protected as possible, or does what it comes with seem adequate for viral hazards? Sorry again, I just know what I don't know. I'm doing a lot of reading on this since the latest 'hoo-hah' virus from China has hit the news as it kind of exposed a hole in my planning. I've got regular N95 and N100 face filters, but those aren't full face solutions and I got to thinking.... Anyone have the lowdown on this? I'm HOPING I don't have to get one of the $400 CBRN facemasks I see advertised everywhere to be safe! :)

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Remediati...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=T1D3Z0XP9242EF80297K

thanks in advance for any advice and input!

Reactions: FE3

·
Ingloriously Deplorable
2,610 Posts
Both are rated for chemical warfare threats and NIOSH for industrial chemicals. The FR-64 is P100 rated, the FR-57 doesn't list that on the data sheet. If you go to the 3M site they'll have data sheets on all of this.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So FR-64 is is then for maximum protection canisters for my full face 7800S 3M..
Thanks for saving me from the FR-57 if it won't do viruses..

And anything P100 or better for all masks/filters is good for viruses?

What about experiation dates?
Does it really matter as long as they are new and unsealed or what? $$$$?$$??$?$?

·
Emergency Manager
2,728 Posts
So FR-64 is is then for maximum protection canisters for my full face 7800S 3M..
Thanks for saving me from the FR-57 if it won't do viruses..

And anything P100 or better for all masks/filters is good for viruses?

What about experiation dates?
Does it really matter as long as they are new and unsealed or what? $$$$?$$??$?$?

The FR-57 will work just fine. It’s listed as a particulate filter as well. It’s a little overkill, but most 40mm filters will be. The expired filter question is a hard one to answer because I don’t want to take responsibility for the QC of all filter manufacturers nor do I want to take responsibility for unwise users who try to push their luck with possibly degraded filters. So my primary recommendation is, don’t use expired filters. However, that said, provided the filter media is intact and hasn’t collapsed or degraded, an expired filter that was capable of filtering particulate threats before it expired, should still be able to do so after expiration. The problem you can run into with expired filters is if the filter materials absorb moisture or if the catalytic materials required to filter/neutralize rated chemicals age or degrade, the filter is no longer useful for chemical threats. There is also the possibility that the material that provides the particulate filtration could age/degrade/collapse and allow contaminants to bypass the filter. There’s no way to know if or at what point any of the above could occur so it’s always best to avoid using expired filters. But, in a pinch, they may work for particulate threats.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
That's for CBRN application. Everyone this week is discussing what seems to be a SARS type virus (though CDC, typically, seems to know diddly and the chicoms aren't helping) See CONELRAD's post.

Do a visual inspection of a filter if package has been opened. If filters have been in use do you detect breathing resistance (is clogged with particulate matter)?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
This seems like an appropriate place to post this. Apologies in advance to the OP if not and moving to a more appropriate thread would be welcomed (there are so many CV threads I wasn't sure where to put it). I was looking at what's still available, mask/filter-wise last night on Amazon and other places.
As has been noted, N95 masks have evaporated. There still seems to be decent availability of more pricey options like 3M (and other brands) half and full face masks and filters. From what I see each step up in masks from N95 to half mask (with goggles) to full face mask seems to increase protection.
Of the filters available for half and full masks there are still P100's out there. However, it looks like care should be used in which you choose as there are a few different model numbers of P100 with different capabilities. I was looking at, and purchased, 6000 series 3M full face. For those, I went with #2097 filters, partly for their rating and partly because they are still showing "in stock" at my local Home Depot and between online and local purchase I want to make sure I can build a decent inventory.
Anyway, I saw that there were also quite a few 2091 P100 filters and they were slightly cheaper. Between the two the 2097's were rated for both the oily and non-oil coated creepies where the 2091 and others were not. I don't know if it's been determined which the CV is but I went with 2097 just in case it's better. They also apparently offer some relief from bad smelling organic stuff which might be helpful depending on how bad the situation gets. I don't expect the availability of these other options to hold out long. As the cheaper N95 options dry up, people will start spending the money for the more expensive options.
From the last potential pandemic go-round I still have a more than ample supply of N95's, goggles, other protective gear and disinfectants for the wife and I. Also enough to get friends, family and employees started. On masks anyway.
I also have made kits with Isreali Civil Defense gas masks with spare filters, air supplies and canteens/hoses for my wife and me. I haven't researched the effectiveness of those filters yet but I would assume they'd be adequate.
In addition, last night I ordered two of the 3M 6000 series full face masks and a dozen spare filters for a start on additional preps. I figure, if needed, I'd start with the 3M's and use those up first before going to the gas masks in public. More comfortable and less psychological impact on my neighbors, lol.
I am not an expert at this and it's possible I am missing the mark but I just wanted to relay what I have done and observed in the past and present to try to prepare me and mine for the possibility of things turning bad.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I would also like to vent a bit about articles I have seen, as well as a couple posts here that I fear may confuse or mislead people trying to prepare for this.
That is articles questioning whether surgical masks are effective or not. I've seen people read these headlines, and maybe the article and come away with the idea that they are useless.
Many people may not know that surgical masks and N95/P100 are different animals with different purposes. These articles may prompt people to not even try because they think it's useless and that's pretty dangerous.
In my mind, if a surgical mask or a bandana is all I have...I'll wear it. It seems to me that anything that catches any droplets from a sneeze or cough could help reduce the load of creepies that get into your lungs.
Again, I'm far from a doctor or other health professional but stuff that encourages people to not take any precaution seems like bad advice to me.

·
reluctant sinner
17,577 Posts
Just some thoughts for respirators.

How do you know when to put it on?

How do you know when its safe to take it off?

How do you know you have a good seal?

How do you drink water while wearing the mask.

Not all things are filterable, no filter last forever. There still needs to be oxygen in the air you are filtering; not always true in confined entry or say in a fire storm.

You might consider at least a 2 week supply of iodine pills and a few tyveck suits.

A full face mask is a good choice. There are things out there that can go threw your skin.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What?
Are you saying that the expensive 40mm filters, fr-64 fr-57, are only good for 24 hours after opening? (against chem/bio warfare agents?)

I think the last time I used my fr-64 was just a couple months ago, disinfecting a small room with bleach spray from floor to ceiling, and I wasn't smelling any bleach in the mask so it must have been still working.. It is years old for sure, atleast 4 years I've had it and used it randomly mostly while spraying things or grinding things I didn't want to be breathing..

I think my 6000 masks have only been used against acid fumes at work.. They seem to work still..

Would any of those be INEFFECTIVE against viruses?
Maybe the white one 6002 wouldn't work against viruses?

·
Emergency Manager
2,728 Posts
I would also like to vent a bit about articles I have seen, as well as a couple posts here that I fear may confuse or mislead people trying to prepare for this.
That is articles questioning whether surgical masks are effective or not. I've seen people read these headlines, and maybe the article and come away with the idea that they are useless.
Many people may not know that surgical masks and N95/P100 are different animals with different purposes. These articles may prompt people to not even try because they think it's useless and that's pretty dangerous.
In my mind, if a surgical mask or a bandana is all I have...I'll wear it. It seems to me that anything that catches any droplets from a sneeze or cough could help reduce the load of creepies that get into your lungs.
Again, I'm far from a doctor or other health professional but stuff that encourages people to not take any precaution seems like bad advice to me.
It's not necessarily bad advice. Advising the public to use unproven precautions is undesirable because it generates a false sense of security. That, in turn, increases the number of people taking unnecessary risks or engaging in undesirable behaviors.

·
Emergency Manager
2,728 Posts
What?
Are you saying that the expensive 40mm filters, fr-64 fr-57, are only good for 24 hours after opening? (against chem/bio warfare agents?)

I think the last time I used my fr-64 was just a couple months ago, disinfecting a small room with bleach spray from floor to ceiling, and I wasn't smelling any bleach in the mask so it must have been still working.. It is years old for sure, atleast 4 years I've had it and used it randomly mostly while spraying things or grinding things I didn't want to be breathing..

I think my 6000 masks have only been used against acid fumes at work.. They seem to work still..

Would any of those be INEFFECTIVE against viruses?
Maybe the white one 6002 wouldn't work against viruses?

They’re only rated for particulate/viruses if they have they say they’re N95/N100/P100. The rectangular cartridges can have a pink N100/P100 or white N95 pre-filter attached.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
It's not necessarily bad advice. Advising the public to use unproven precautions is undesirable because it generates a false sense of security. That, in turn, increases the number of people taking unnecessary risks or engaging in undesirable behaviors.
I can surely understand that. My problem has just been that the title of the articles has kind of imparted the idea that masks can't help. A lot of people scan a headline and move on. Rather than word it in a way that invites people to read the article to become informed about which ones may. I think having a bunch of people take no precaution is worse than encouraging people to take some precaution. And wearing the wrong mask isn't going to increase their chances of contracting the virus. If anything it may decrease it, however so slightly.
On a different note, I was in Home Depot today and they still had quite a few N95's and half/full masks and filters.

·
Emergency Manager
2,728 Posts
And wearing the wrong mask isn't going to
increase their chances of contracting the virus
If it prompts them to engage in risky behaviors because they think they're protected, it absolutely will increase their chances of infection. It's human nature... if you provide the appearance of safety, people generally engage in riskier behavior as a result.

A mask (even the correct mask) won't do them any good if they can't read beyond a headline because they won't bother to read the instructions either. If you don't wear it properly, there's no point in wearing it at all.

·
Cat and parrot whisperer
1,233 Posts
They’re only rated for particulate/viruses if they have they say they’re N95/N100/P100. The rectangular cartridges can have a pink N100/P100 or white N95 pre-filter attached.
So a 6000 series facemask like the link below or their newer FF-402 model will work just fine for epidemic type situations with the appropriate filter? I've noticed they sell some with a non cartridge "filter" that is P100 as well...are those ok too, or should you go with the cartridge based filter?

·
Emergency Manager
2,728 Posts
So a 6000 series facemask like the link below or their newer FF-402 model will work just fine for epidemic type situations with the appropriate filter? I've noticed they sell some with a non cartridge "filter" that is P100 as well...are those ok too, or should you go with the cartridge based filter?
The FF-402 or any other bayonet-style 3M mask will work just fine with the filters below...

If you mean filters like the 2091s: https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-17120/Reusable-Respirators/3M-2091-Particulate-Filter-P100
vs
an organic vapor+P100 "cartridge" like this: https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...921-Organic-Vapor-Cartridge-Filter-Combo-P100
Either will work... but you'll find the former far more affordable.

·
Cat and parrot whisperer
1,233 Posts
The FF-402 or any other bayonet-style 3M mask will work just fine with the filters below...

If you mean filters like the 2091s: https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-17120/Reusable-Respirators/3M-2091-Particulate-Filter-P100
vs
an organic vapor+P100 "cartridge" like this: https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...921-Organic-Vapor-Cartridge-Filter-Combo-P100
Either will work... but you'll find the former far more affordable.
Thank you! Thanks for the info on the filters too. Sorry to bother you and not doubting what you said. Just curious as to why the two types of filters when both work? Do the cartridges last longer or something? Trying to figure the cost difference, etc. Thanks again!

·
Emergency Manager
2,728 Posts
Thank you! Thanks for the info on the filters too. Sorry to bother you and not doubting what you said. Just curious as to why the two types of filters when both work? Do the cartridges last longer or something? Trying to figure the cost difference, etc. Thanks again!

No problem. Not bothering me at all, I’m here to help.

No, the cartridges don’t last longer. The “cartridge” is for gasses or vapors not necessarily related to the viral particulates/droplets. For example, pesticides or paint fumes or mold or whatever... that’s what the colors in one of the previous posts mean.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts