Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new here and have searched for BOL information but couldn't find much.

I'm sure I'm missing something.

Can you please point me to threads or information about this please.

Thank you

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
Well, put some time first into analyzing your own situation, where you are now, what hazards there are, natural and human-made obstacles and assets. Bugging out is not everyone's optimal choice. For me, for example, it's bugging in.

If you live next door to a nuclear plant and that scares you, then look at how much warning you might have of trouble and how far you could get your family away in that warning time, what kind of safe place you could get to in that warning time, and if it's worth bothering with.

Bugging out to one person might mean an off-grid cabin nobody knows about. For someone else, it might be a 40-mile drive to Grandma's house where everybody plans in meeting with as much supplies as they can load into their cars.

Every situation is so individual, you really have to do the analysis.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for this information. I checked it out and watch the video. Good stuff.

However, I'm still not finding any ideas or suggestions as to how a person is to figure out where to camp. I live in a suburb of a large city. (30 miles out or so)

Don't have land and am not an avid camper. What do people in my situation do to find a good place to camp?

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
I was wondering when someone would post that. :)

Jackflack, get on your state's state parks website and pick out one that's a reasonable drive away, make a reservation, and go camping. Go just 2 nights, Friday and Saturday. Start small. Work on your skills. Have some fun with it.

Reactions: Bullets~n~Beans

·
Sua Sponte
976 Posts
Thank you for this information. I checked it out and watch the video. Good stuff.

However, I'm still not finding any ideas or suggestions as to how a person is to figure out where to camp. I live in a suburb of a large city. (30 miles out or so)

Don't have land and am not an avid camper. What do people in my situation do to find a good place to camp?
FEMA camp?

Hehe, couldn't resist ;)

Really, Kevs links are great. He does good work.

Selection though...

Part of the selection process will depend on how far you feel you are willing to travel. As a general rule, the further you get away from your urban setting the safer you are thought to be. However, the greater risk you incur during the movement. So, closer is safer from a movement point of view (and you are more likely to get there). But further away tends to have safer and better locations.

So the first thing you need to decide is how far away you are willing to move - look at the max. That is all you care about. Don't worry about 'needs to be at least'. Just figure out the max range you are willing to travel.

To advance the discussion a bit, you may want to consider that max from both a vehicle movement and foot movement perspective. So, two locations.

The vehicle movement location probably being 'better', but less likely to be achieved in an immediate disaster scenario. Which then pulls for the foot movement location as a backup, or plan B.

But what location?

Usually you will hear people talk about high ground and defensive and all kinds of stuff like that. I'm going to take you in the opposite direction.

See, my theory is that none of us are nearly as smart as we would like to think we are. If we (you) have identified this location as a BOL then someone ELSE probably has as well. The better the location, the more likely other people will arrive (or arrive before you). No matter HOW sure you are that you are the only one that goes camping there.

So, I'm going to offer this instead. Choose a $!tty location. The only requirement is that it have water in the area that you can access and that it not be an area subject to flood.

But let me pull just a bit more from you. Please, dear God, please don't go the 'bugout bag' route. Don't do the rucksack survivalist thing. Please.

If you are going to do this and you cannot at this time develop your own retreat (on land you own) or have friends/family with like assets then you need to develop a cache system on public land (not private, don't buy that kind of trouble).

A cache would have you pre-position supplies at your BOL in hidden (buried) locations. Now, instead of trying to play man-vs-commonsense you have the supplies you will need to make a serious go of it waiting on you. You have a plan that might actually work. And you can travel light to your BOL instead of carrying that three hundred and fifty pound ruck that you have convinced yourself you can hump 'because you will do it by force of will when the time comes'.

Just to work out the plan a bit more, consider your foot movement options. What if instead of rucking it you instead placed several mini caches along your route? Just a five gallon bucket or two ever day or twos foot movement distance. Toss in a few freeze dried this an MRE that. Just enough to top you off to get to the next cache. Maybe toss in some mini survival stuff just in case you lose some of your stuff along the route.

Doing that, might help you move your foot cache option out far enough that you get some real security out of it. Shucks, you could end up making your foot cache location and your drive location the same (although that makes logistics easier, you invite risk by not having a backup location - choices choices).

Regardless, please, cache at your BOL. If you do not have a cache developed BOL then you are nothing more than a better prepared refugee. Don't be that guy.

Just a few pre-positioned five gallon buckets of rice and other goods (an extra tent, water filter, few lighters, some clothes, etc) could change everything.

Travel light, cache ahead of time.

To sum up, BOL selection.

Determine your maximum vehicle distance you are comfortable with. Determine your maximum foot distance you are comfortable with. Locate public land at that distance (each). Locate a water supply in that area that you can access. Determine the worst camping location there is, that will not be flooded (because of damage to cache) that still allows access to that water supply.

Cache at that location.

YMMV,
Chad

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,959 Posts
It sounds like you are at the beginning stages of this, which is fine.

We are each at different stages. I searched and found a state that I consider to be the best for post-SHTF survival. Then I went there, found land in a forest, bought some land, built a house, moved into that house, began building it in to a farm.

Many stages you see.

We are still not off-grid yet. But hopefully soon :)

·
Registered
556 Posts
If your looking for a place in Colorado let me know , I'd be happy to help. I did ALOT of reseach on quite a few areas before we settled on our place.

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm new here and have searched for BOL information but couldn't find much.

I'm sure I'm missing something.

Can you please point me to threads or information about this please.

Thank you
I believe Allamakee County posted some going points:

1) Identify the threats you are most likely faced with.

2) Determine what location is nearly immuned to those threats that is as close to possible to you home/job.

3) Learning to identify a good location boils down to a few things in my book: trees, dirt, water, seclusion, neighbors, local threats, weather.

I contend that we should all be homesteaders, attempting to grow our own fruits, veggies, livestock, storing our own water, etc. as much as reasonably possible. Survivalism to me is more of a lifestyle than an address in the next county over.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts