Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have a buddy of mine who has started to get into firearms over the last year or so. He has an opportunity to take a trip to Alaska next year for some salmon fishing. He would also like to try and take in a little hunting. He does not and never has owned a rifle, but asked me what type of rifle he should get. I told him it really depended on what type of hunting he wanted to do. He said that he wanted a good dependable weather resistant (synthetic stock with stainless barrel) rifle chambered for a round that would take any thing from deer to mountain rams to brown bear if need be. We live in florida so most of his hunting would be for florida sized deer, but occasionally he would like to take trips to hunt elk, moose, rams, things of this nature. So he wants one rifle to do everything. He is not real interested in lever action or semi auto, he wants to stay with bolt action with detachable or internal mag. I have done a little searching on this site and another and come up with a couple of options in the caliber dept. From what I'm seeing the 30-06 and .308 seem to be the round, also easier to find these rounds (he wants a round that he can find just about anywhere). I was wondering if anyone had any in sight on this fellas situation. I was thinking about a Savage chambered in .308, with a nice scope. Now he has about $800.00 for the whole package (rifle and scope). So let it roll, am I way off base? What suggestions would you all have for my buddy? By the way I am in no way big hunter, in fact I have not hunted very much at all in my life (plan to get more involved this season), so this will be good info for myself!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Tbull:cool:

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Weatherby Vanguard series in 30-06 <----- take a serious look at this rifle.

Ruger model 77 in 30-06

Savage in 30-06

Remington woodsmaster series semi-automatic in 30-06

Burris or leopuld all weather scope in about 6X18-50 or 4-12X50.

I have a remington model 700 mountain rifle and do not recommend it. Remington made the rifle too light, and it kicks a lot worse then other rifles of the same size.

The 30-06 is an all around good caliber, its hard to go wrong with it. The 308 does have good points, but if your buddy is going to alaska, he might want the extra knock down power of the '06 over the 308.

The weatherby vanguard is weatherbys economy line. I have been told the rifles are made by Howa for weatherby, but I have not confirmed that. The vanguard barrel is a little heavier then the remington model 700 mountain rifle, so the rifle kicks less. The rifle also has an synthetic stock so it is not affected by weather. Its also priced a lot better then the remington bolt actions, and is about the same the Savage or Ruger. If you have a wal-mart close by that still sells guns, some wal-marts sell the weatherby Vanguard rifles.

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
Hope I'm not flogging a dead horse already.
You can't go wrong with a Savage set for 30-06. Good quality for a good price, and 30 ought will take down everything.

A Rem 700 of course is also good, but pricier than a Savage.

If he has cash to burn a Tikka T3 will be one of the best rifles he'll own.

I should mention that for some folk 30-06 might be considered too large a round if they're just starting out shoot, and poor technique might develope from anticipating the shot and recoil.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,005 Posts
You probably either better drop brown bear or step up to a very high power cartridge. .458 Win Mag. is ok for big bears. The 30.06 in the rifle Kev mentioned, the Vanguard in stainless is a very wise choice. People don't realise till they get there that low fog can pool moisture over every inch as well as inside of a gun.

Water proof is a good investment.

·
Registered
806 Posts
30-06 is indeed a very good 'all-round' cartridge. 180 grain bullets and up for the bears (and moose), and 150 grain for Florida.
However it is very hard to get ideal behavior for both 100 lb deer and 1400 lb bear. I'd rather have the .338 Win Mag for the big bear, with at least 220 grain bullets.
Then I could get a smaller lighter rifle for Florida. .308 or 7mm-08.

Flinch from poor training is definitely a concern. For me it was the noise more than the feel, so now I shoot with foam plugs AND muffs. Also my .308 had a simple hard plastic butt plate, replacing with a real recoil pad (only 1/2" thick) stopped the jabbs.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the input guys. upon further discussion today my buddy is rethinking what exactly he wants (sticker shock) I showed him the Tika and then the vanguard, then I showed him the Savage. Now he is thinking he wants to go with the Savage in stainless with a synthetic stock. Also, He has decided that he will probably not be HUNTING brown bear or any bear at all, the bear aspect would be in a "just in case" scenario. I am going to let him shoot my 270 savage to get the feel of things. I mentioned getting something with less recoil and buying a ruger alaskan for the "just in case" scenario but someone can start that thread seperately.

Thanks again guys! Keep the suggestions coming!

Tbull:cool:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hope I'm not flogging a dead horse already.
You can't go wrong with a Savage set for 30-06. Good quality for a good price, and 30 ought will take down everything.

A Rem 700 of course is also good, but pricier than a Savage.

If he has cash to burn a Tikka T3 will be one of the best rifles he'll own.

I should mention that for some folk 30-06 might be considered too large a round if they're just starting out shoot, and poor technique might develope from anticipating the shot and recoil.
I agree, just zeroed in my nikon bdc scope, on my savage 111 fxp3 with accutrigger in 30-06, shooting 1inch groups at 100 yards, very impressed with this weapon. have $700 in total package. very solid gun

·
Registered
448 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
That's one of their package guns. Was this the scope it came with?
no the scope that came on it I shoot a about 20 rounds of 180 grain with the gun and the eye piece threads blew out. recommend getting new scope before you waist ammo sighting in that scope, or just get the rifle without scope. the accutrigger is defintly worth it. by the way I quit shooting 180 grains and sticking to 150 grain, thats what iam shooting 1inch groups with, havent tried other grains since installed new scope. bought 150 grain winchester xp3 rounds for big game. Nikkon bdc buckmaster scope cost around 200. look for what you like but I like the scope. fit in well with this gun.

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
I agree, just zeroed in my nikon bdc scope, on my savage 111 fxp3 with accutrigger in 30-06, shooting 1inch groups at 100 yards, very impressed with this weapon. have $700 in total package. very solid gun
Another Savage fan! Great!:thumb:
When the barrel of my current one is used, I'm going up to a nicer model. Great company, Savage, even their econo rifles are good. Remington, on the other hand have been ripping quite a few new shooters off with their glued-in barrel, weak-bolted 770.

·
Registered
292 Posts
as long as no brown bear 30 06 will suffice. you could probably find a nice used ruger stainless synthetic for $350 range. a put some decent glass on it bushnell 4200 for $300 and have the do all rifle your looking for.remember shot placement and bullet selection is key.

·
Registered
207 Posts
A lot of people are saying the 30-06. A very good weapon. Don't get me wrong that is a fine weapon but I would also look into geting a .308 in the Savage line. Less kick and is up to par with the 30-06 as far as mid size game.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You probably either better drop brown bear or step up to a very high power cartridge. .458 Win Mag. is ok for big bears. The 30.06 in the rifle Kev mentioned, the Vanguard in stainless is a very wise choice. People don't realise till they get there that low fog can pool moisture over every inch as well as inside of a gun.

Water proof is a good investment.
A .458 is overkill, although the .338 win mag is a good all around range for alaska. Be it dall sheep, large bear, or any other game this will take them. The .338 is even large though the added security is nice to have after you have climbed up a mountain all day and only have one shot.

·
Registered
352 Posts
a 30-06 is the one caliber that is all you will need for 99% of all north american game and 90% of the worlds game as long as heavy controlled expansion bullets are used on bigger game.as to scope i have to dissagree with about everyone in here. an excellent quality 4 power compact scope is all that is needed for BIG game.forget the hype about light gathering. have checked my 4power scopes and they show the crosshair just fine in all legal hunting light. bigger scopes are very large and prone to breakage and are easily dammage in hunting situations.i might know what i am talking about as i have shot well over a 100 head of big game with 4 and 6 power scopes.as to guns i am very picky if you cant afford a pre 64 model 70 winchester or a fn mauser then the ruger 77 is an all steel alternative even though it is an investment casting firearm. it doesnt have plastic parts.hope this helps though opionated i carry a firearm with me every day and have most of my 55 year life.rugged reliabilty is the key.

·
Registered
272 Posts
My grand father is a great gunsmith and he used to be a guide out in wyoming. He used a 300 WIN MAG for moose elk and grizzly bear. I asked him what he would buy if he was to buy a new gun he said that it would definantly be a savage with an accu trigger. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My grand father is a great gunsmith and he used to be a guide out in wyoming. He used a 300 WIN MAG for moose elk and grizzly bear. I asked him what he would buy if he was to buy a new gun he said that it would definantly be a savage with an accu trigger. just my 2 cents.
brother has the savage 300 win mag. amazing gun and will take down anything on the American continent.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.