Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Urban Nature Boy
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK... I'm going on a vacation to the Dominican Republic for a week for a friend's wedding. I know the airlines won't allow me to carry a lighter, a folding pocket knife, or even a small multi-tool. I'll feel almost naked without my Leatherman! Any suggestions on what I can bring for any "just in case" situations? Or will I have to acquire BOB-like items when I get there?

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
I don't know about the rules in the DR, but you can put a knife.leatherman tool in your checked baggage.

I have a small kit I put in my checked baggage...All inexpensive stuff.

Large folding clip knife, small LED flashlight, compass.

Check TSA (?) web site about the lighter.
I think they changed the rules. but you used to be able to carry a couple of books of paper matches...just put them in my pocket..NOT in any of your bags.

Have a great trip.

·
V
21,713 Posts
Are you worried abut an inflight emergancy or once your there?

If its the flight and your worried about becomming a Real Life LOST extra you should be able to get away with items like the leatherman in checked bags in the hold.
If its once there, you can pickup a few cheap items to keep you preped and just bin them on your way back out.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Ammo is right, put it into your checked baggage then you will get it at the other end, where you are most likely to need it, you wont be needing it during the flight.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Regular, disposable lighters can be carried on now. Refillable and "torch" lighters are still banned.

I would definitely take a water filter. I would get the bottle/straw type if not checking a bag and the full "horse" if checking a bag.

I'd also carry several energy bar type foodstuffs on the plane. And get a couple bottled waters once on the plane and as soon as you get off.

You might also what to do some quick research about where you will be staying and get a "lay of the land". Find out what is near your hotel, both in terms of potential threats and possible assets. I'd also do some preliminary research on alternative ways off the island and how to get to them from your hotel.

I always program certain phone numbers in my cell phone. If I'm flying, I alwasy have a couple numbers for the airline I'm flying on, a substitute, and a travel agent (hard to find these days). If my flight get's cancelled or delayed so I miss a connector, I can be the first on the phone, even while I'm standing in line at the ticket counter.

Lastly, I have a belt with a zippered compartment on the inside where I can stash a few bills. Don't touch them unless there's an emergency. Don't do $100s, do smaller bills. Noone is going to make change for you in the DR in an emergency situation. And $5 $10 will go a long way.

Finally, make sure your credit card issuer knows you are going. Some banks, particularly credit union, cut off your card if they see it being used in certain countries without prior notice. I learned this the hard way....twice.

Finally, finally, I always treat the staff where I'm staying with sincere respect, and I tip decently. Don't tip too much or you advertise that you have lots of cash on you, but tip them early. You'll get treated better and it might just help in a pinch.

Also, check the U.S. Dept. of State for background info and tourist warnings. http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1103.html

Don't know when you are going, but the three most likely scenarios I would be concerned about currently would be:

1) Hurricane. check noaa.gov before you leave to get a sense of what weather is headed that way.
2) SHTF in U.S. and getting back home. do the research on alternative travel opportunities, know where the U.S. Consular Agency office is on the island and how to get there.
3) Civil unrest in the DR, either generally or directed specifically at you (e.g. kidnapping) - know your surroundings, travel in groups, know the danger areas, be nice. Keep a low profile, some people love to hate Americans.

Flying in, I think a great deal of your preps is information.

·
Forum Administrator
16,782 Posts
I put my stuff in the non-carry on bags. Keep it as cheap as possible, just in case it is picked up by security.

Last year my wife and I went to washington state to bury her mother. There is a hiking trail at liberty lake, washington called liberty lake park. While we were taking care of business, I wanted to do that hike, but wanted a knife. Instead of bringing my cold steel recon scout I bought a cheap fixed blade knife at a sporting goods store liberty lake.

On the return flight, I put the knife in my luggage, checked the bags in at the counter and never had any problems.

If there is something you want to bring, put it in your luggage that goes into the cargo bay. Make sure the luggage is not pad locked, the security will cut the lock to inspect the contents of the luggage if they see something on X-ray.

But what ever you bring, it must not break the laws of the country either. I would not bring my cold steel recon scout to london. The brits have outlawed certain types of knives. So if you have to bring something, make it small and cheap.

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
Never check anything of value. All major airports have organised crime gangs harvesting electronics and other valuables on and off. I had an mp3 player stolen from my checked luggage.

If you are going to pack metal things that are supposed to be safe but might get you hassled you can try pack them for reduced exposure to the X-ray machine. If you have one of those packs with the pull out metal handle then you might be able to align your flash up with the rails so it will not show up on the X-ray.

As kev said, make sure you know the laws of your destination as well. AFAIK, Canada still has laws against "high capacity" magazines. If you come up here to hunt and bring some along the government will take them away from you, or worse.

If you have to carry expensive equipment you might want to consider this idea to deter theft by packing a "gun". IANAL and have never tried it... but it makes a good story even if it is not true.

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
I've gotten through security with this guy and this guy on several occasions since I never check a bag. I put them both on my with my keys and I've never even had anyone ask a question about them.

Not my first pick of tools, but it's better than nothing.
I have the looks like key tool, it goes with me everwhere. The fine screwdriver on it has come in handy a couple of times for tightening up the screws on my glasses. The blade is small but sharp. Handy little item.
Peter

Reactions: Syngin

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Dominican Republic eh?

Bring a gun if you want. Flying to the DR is like flying within the continental US. You can check your gun and ammo (read the airlines policies).

When I travel by air, I usually bring clothes with a lot of pockets, a knife, a web belt, a small backpack, emergency contact numbers, passport (even for domestic travel) water purification tabs, anti diahrreal (?) medicine, some benadryl, a mini-mag lite and a camera with spare batteries.

Have a great trip!

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,307 Posts
I have sent stuff to myself care of the hotel I was staying at several times. Send it FedEx and just stick a return bill in with it when you send it so you can FedEx it back to yourself when you leave.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Never check anything of value. All major airports have organised crime gangs harvesting electronics and other valuables on and off. I had an mp3 player stolen from my checked luggage.

If you are going to pack metal things that are supposed to be safe but might get you hassled you can try pack them for reduced exposure to the X-ray machine. If you have one of those packs with the pull out metal handle then you might be able to align your flash up with the rails so it will not show up on the X-ray.

As kev said, make sure you know the laws of your destination as well. AFAIK, Canada still has laws against "high capacity" magazines. If you come up here to hunt and bring some along the government will take them away from you, or worse.

If you have to carry expensive equipment you might want to consider this idea to deter theft by packing a "gun". IANAL and have never tried it... but it makes a good story even if it is not true.
the law is

5 Rounds IN a Semiautomatic WITH center fire ammo

now its its a .22 rifle mag go nuts no restrictions on them.. the laws are silly sometimes for example

its legal to have a bolt action rilfe in the window unattended in your house if.. the bolt is removed the mag is loaded and not in the gun that would be legal.. its not hard to put the bolt and mag in and you ready to go.. that would be considered safe and legal under the fedral law..

some provinces are better with the gun laws then other some refuse to proscute people with unregistered non restricted guns as long as you dont commit any crime with them.. or are arrested by a police officer

the hunting laws have more rules but the idea is so you dont have an unfair advantage over the animals.. and dont get caught poaching they will rape your a... if you get caught they caught 2 people that shoot a moose with a .22 from the states had them brought back to canada and they got 2 years for it..and a 10,000 fine each

also this story made me laugh
http://lakesuperiornews.com/Legal/ConservationOfficersBeat/FakeMooseShot/tabid/218/Default.aspx

cant hunt from a boat

1 - 16 of 16 Posts