Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how online scams work, maybe you can help me with this one.

On Craigslist a lady advertised a truck for $2,800.00

I email her, and this is her response.

Hello,

My name is Kerri Braga, I am emailing you regarding the 2004 Toyota Tundra AccessCab Limited 4x4 that I have for sale.
The truck is in perfect condition , with no need for additional repairs, no scratches, dings, special marks whatsoever, never been involved in any accidents. The interior looks great (NO SMOKING). It has 57,749 miles , automatic transmission, 8 cylinder, 4.7L DOHC EFI 32-valve V8 i-Force engine,gasoline ,red ( salsa red pearl ) exterior and oak leather interior .I have a clear and clean title for it , no liens or loans ready to be signed and notarized on your name ...
I'm selling my son's car , who died in Iraq two months ago and I want to get rid of it asap because the sight of it makes me think of him often and often and the pain is too great . Put yourself in my shoes and you'll do the same (selling the car of your dead son, no offence) !!!
As you probably noticed , the final price that i want for this car is $2,890.00 if you will buy it today or tomorrow .
Here are the pictures with the truck:
http://www.use.com/0ba72d0e9ef89faa51bd
(if the above link does not work copy and paste it into a new web browser window)

Let me know where are you located and any other details you need about it.

Thank you,
Kerri

So I tell her, that I am interested, and I can pay for it today. What is her address so I can first look at it. Also I need the VIN to do a Car facts Report on it. She writes back.

Hello again,

I`m located in Helena,MT (the car is here with me) right now because i got a new job here,the thing is i`m very busy and i don`t have time to stay and meet with all my potential buyers, that is why i gave to a shipping company that will ship it to the next owner(on my cost). I will make the deal only to eBay. I am a member of the eBay buyer protection program and using this service you will get a 7 days testing period after delivery. During that 7 days testing period I will not be getting any money. I need to know if you are interested in buying it so I can ask eBay to send you the details on how this works. If interested please include in your next email your contact info for eBay ( full name, full address ) so we can get things started.

I write to her:

That is great! My Dad lives in Helena,MT! He can pay for it for me. He can come over when your off work, or just swing by and look at it for me! What is the address, and VIN#?

So what is her (or his) scam? My gut tells me scam.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't know how online scams work, maybe you can help me with this one.

On Craigslist a lady advertised a truck for $2,800.00

SCAM !!!! walk away.

im a Computer I.T tech, i deal with this allot.

point one, you cannot go and look at it.. they always have it in storage.
and they want to ship it to you.

point two. they want to lower your guard by making you think your going through ebay, but the link they give you is to their fake look alike site..
you do it, and you can kiss that cash goodbye.

on second thought, dont walk, run away fast.

·
Ringin Your Gong From 600
7,683 Posts
Lol...the EXACT same type of scam that I replied to...until the vehicle was in Minnesota. The story matches almost EXACTLY...except for the auto type and place where it is 'stored'.

Funny thing is, the ad I responded to was a good deal, but not a steal like yours was. They must think we are a bit harder to fool up here. ;)

·
Registered
428 Posts
scam

Same thing here in Wilmington. I found a 2002 ford f150 4x4 for 2000 she got it in a divorce and has no drivers license is why she was selling it i called her and told her I would be right over to lok at it. She then informed me she and the truck are in miami! I thought she said she had no dl!! its a scam!!

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I kind of like messing with the guy.

I knew it was a scam. That is why I said My dad lives where "she" lives. LOL

Reactions: onemoreday

·
Ringin Your Gong From 600
7,683 Posts

I admit...I do the same type of thing if I'm bored.

I once got a 'I'm a super model escaping Cuba, I have 12.6 million dollars but I need to borrow a couple of thousand to get out' emails. I ended up emailing them back and forth several times before they finally found out I was f-ing with them and they moved along. :thumb:

·
Here's a man who stood up
650 Posts
Thats nothing I found a 1987 Ferrari Testarossa in the "Deals on Wheels" magazine for $4,000.00 only 16K miles.

Lady said she was in CA and she wanted to get rid of it because she caught her husband cheating on her in the car.

She won the car in the divorce.

She said the car was in storage in Reno and a friend of hers didn't have time to meet with buyers.

And her phone number wqasn't working because the phone company was "doing work" in her area.

She said she would ship the car to me I'd have 7 days to look the car over.

I asked for the Vin# then did a search.

I found the car in a dealers lot south of San Francisco. I called the dealer.

He said he was looking at the car as I was talking to him. I told him about the scam.

He said he would call "Deals on Wheels" and inform them.

I asked for the car as a reward.

He laughed and declined, doesn't hurt to ask.

So yeah its a scam, mess with this woman as much as possible, get the law involved if possible.

·
Surf or fight
449 Posts
I had someone try to pull this one on me too, I called ebay just to see if they provided this service and they said no. If you think about it, why would ebay help someone sell something on craigslist?

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Type in divorce sale on craigslist You never know what you will find

Now as for the main OP I dont trust any CL ad that doesnt have a number (80% are spam)scam)

·
Christian
39,500 Posts

Absolutely mess with them. Waste their time. You may just be saving some poor guy 3k.

Reactions: OhioMan

·
Registered
33,395 Posts
Now this makes me wonder about the N igerian Prince that has contacted me via email. It seems he just needs me to put up only 5K to release his accounts here in America and he's willing to pay me $100,000 just for the trouble.....WOW!

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,431 Posts
Ohioman,

You mean the Prince isn't real? I'm shocked.

Yeah mess with the dude as much as you can. I'd ask him/her about her son, try to get his name and check with the military. I bet they take a dim view of that too.

·
Registered
33,395 Posts
Ohioman,

You mean the Prince isn't real? I'm shocked.

Yeah mess with the dude as much as you can. I'd ask him/her about her son, try to get his name and check with the military. I bet they take a dim view of that too.
Yea, I usually trust all the emails from N igeria as 100% on the up and up!!:D:

seriously, I never open that trash up:thumb:

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,493 Posts
If it seems too good to be true...

I hadn't heard of that scam yet, but then again, there are so many of them out there that it's hard to keep up. They must make a fortune taking advantage of idiots. Not that I don't like to see idiots get slapped around for their idiocy. But scams are just low.

·
Agent of Influence
1,938 Posts
Let me get this straight.

She wants you to send her money directly in response to an advert on Craigslist and tells you that the money will be protected by Ebay?:rolleyes:

If you really think that is possible then i suggest contacting Ebay and asking them if they extend their protection to Craigslist sales.

Incidentially, that sob story she gave you is a big red flag. It is unlikely that someone really in that situation would be quite so garrulous about it. Also, anyone who tries to rush you into a sale, has to sell today or tomorrow, no time to think!! is almost always dodgy.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
Okay, to summarize...You can't see the car...You send them money...Then they will ship it to you? Hahahahaha I wont even do that for a pair of shoes!

If you think you "might" be getting scammed, you definately are.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts