Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Tankgirl
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested un buying myself a set of throwing knives not 100% prepping but a skill i have been interested in taking up for while but I have no idea where to start!

please help!
\m/ Sam\m/

·
"Everbody has a plan . .&quot
2,187 Posts
Many people don't consider throwing knives as a viable self defense method (people don't just drop dead, like in the movies) but that doesn't mean someone shouldn't enjoy it if they like.
Google books on the subject to help you select your knife (knives) & have fun !

·
Tankgirl
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that's why I said it was just something I wanted to learn. I have crosswbows for the other (in uk no guns :-( ) "why throw a knife" being a collector of knives that made me chuckle!

\m/sam \m/

·
LEGAL citizen
15,269 Posts
The best thing to do is go to a knife shop and test drive a few. They typically have a cork board you can throw them into. There are a variety of them in various sizes and weights, so you won't know which you prefer until you try them. Also, instead of knives, consider purchasing you some steel rod and cut them to 12 inch lengths. Put a nice point on them with the grinder (both ends) and practice with those. You would be surprised at how much deeper a steel rod will go. Also, a round puncture wound is much more deadly than a knife wound (if you ever needed it for that purpose). You can use these rods for a variety of things... including traps, homemade grill to cook off of, etc.

PS. If you don't want to cut the rods down yourself, buy some Stainless Steel Dowel Pins in 12" length

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
throwing knives at stumps and such is a lot of fun. Mu buddies and I always drink beer and throw knives while camping out. Not so much for Rambo esque type moments, but just as something fun to do. Start with some cheap ones to get the hang of it..they break easily, but then go from there to see what types suit you.

·
LEGAL citizen
15,269 Posts
throwing knives at stumps and such is a lot of fun. Mu buddies and I always drink beer and throw knives while camping out. Not so much for Rambo esque type moments, but just as something fun to do. Start with some cheap ones to get the hang of it..they break easily, but then go from there to see what types suit you.
Agree 100%. The tips of knives tend to disappear. This is why I would go with the rods instead. Plus, knives can get expensive... rods, cheap.

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
I have a friend that throws competition his are Damascus (hello NSA) steel and weigh about a pound.
He recommended a spring steel, spear point, with a diamond cross section the one I found is roll marked RR (red rooster?)with a horseshoe and "china" with gray micarta slabs

have you considered a Cherokee star it is a + about 12 inches tall and wide sharpened to points on the ends.
make "gods eyes" or cover with decorative paper and hang them on the wall in convenient locations around the home or office.

·
Banned
117 Posts
I'd go to amazon and check out the cheap knives they have for sale. buy a bunch of different styles and sizes, try out different throwing styles and distances. break a few, loose a few, modify a few.

If need be you could use for self defense and give yourself a GREAT advantage in hand to hand combat.

Impress some ladies at a party

or hunt with them if needed.

I recently purchased the Cold Steel G.I. Tanto from amazon and i am waiting for it to ship

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
I used to have a lifesize dummy that I'd throw knives at. I got this really cheap set of chinese knives and tried to throw two at a time. The very first time I did it one knife snapped in half and the other imbeded straight into the solar plexus of the dummy. That proved that throwing knives can be crappy, unreliable, and deadly all at the same time.

·
V
21,713 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have a few throwers I used to toss into plywood, its something fun to pass the time with.

Never use a throwing knife for self defense, the last thing you want is to give someone else your weapon. Also the ranges you throw at have to be very concise to get repeatable results and the correct number of "turns" midair.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I've owned a few different ones and strangely enough a $5 pair of BudK throwers were the ones I was best with, even over the hibbins I spend a pretty penny on.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts