Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, looks like I got bamboozled once again. This thanksgiving we are having a big family get together, and everyone is bringing a dish, only my dork brother has (as he often does) self proclaimed his mashed potatoes as his signature dish, and down the line everyone else has done the same. Never mind that MY tators, MY pecan pie, MY sweet potatoes, etc...are actually BETTER, they are just LOUDER leading up to the dinner. I was going to give them all a big HI PUMPKIN (inside joke...middle finger...see James Caan's reaction when Kathy Bates says "Hi Pumpkin!" in Misery!)...but then I decided I just have to reinvent an old dish or come up with a new one.
Here's what I know is being brought (so far):
Turkey
Ham
Mashed Tators
Stuffing/Dressing
Pecan Pie
Sweet Potatoes/Sweet Potato Casserole
Cranberry Dressing
Trust me, they are all very...average, but EVERYONE plunks their name and "world famous" down and calls them all signature dishes. Grrrr.
SO I guess my question is this:
Who has a killer dish that will knock 'em dead? I am willing to put some work into it...some time...and I even have access to decent stores to purchase things that may even be "hard to find". I'd love to hear everyone's suggestions...thanks in advance, and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

·
Super Moderator
12,060 Posts
Dessert, rather than side dish:

Carrot Crème Pie by Jerry D Young (Much better than pumpkin, in my opinion)

9” pie crust
1 ½ cup chopped raw carrots
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
¾ cup sugar
1 ½ Tablespoon melted butter
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ginger

Cook carrots with a little salt and as little water as possible, until soft.
Cool
Place carrot pulp and milk in blender.
Blend until fairly smooth
Blend in eggs, butter, sugar, allspice, salt, cinnamon and ginger
Brush bottom of pie crust with melted butter, and then sprinkle with very little flour
Pour filling into shell
Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes
Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake an additional 30 minutes.
Cool
Top with whipped cream/Cool Whip

If you really want to wow them, try the French Honey at breakfast, or as a sweet snack on home-made biscuits

French Honey by Jerry D Young

2 tablespoons butter
¼ cup white Karo syrup
1 egg, well beaten
½ cup sugar
¼ cup water
3 – 4 shakes nutmeg (I like a bit more)

Melt butter in skillet.
Mix together reaming ingredients.
Pour into buttered skillet
Bring to a boil, stirring often
Reduce heat to hard simmer
Stir occasionally until a transparent deep amber color and thickened to a coarse texture. Will be the consistency of orange marmalade when cooled slightly
Serves approximately 3 on hot buttered biscuits

Caution! This is a sugar syrup and gets very hot and will stick if you get it on you. Don’t try to eat until it cools some. I usually wind up with a burned tongue even though I know better.

Copyright 2008

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

9” pie crust
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
¾ cup sugar
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ginger

Cool
Brush bottom of pie crust with melted butter, and then sprinkle with very little flour
Pour filling into shell
Cool

If you really want to wow them, try the French Honey at breakfast, or as a sweet snack on home-made biscuits

2 tablespoons butter
¼ cup white Karo syrup
1 egg, well beaten
½ cup sugar
¼ cup water

Melt butter in skillet.
Stir occasionally until a transparent deep amber color and thickened to a coarse texture. Will be the consistency of orange marmalade when cooled slightly

Caution! This is a sugar syrup and gets very hot and will stick if you get it on you. Don’t try to eat until it cools some. I usually wind up with a burned tongue even though I know better.

Copyright 2008
Thanks, I will definitely keep those recipes...you triggered the mouth-water gauge!:thumb:

·
Super Moderator
12,060 Posts
An actual side dish:

Honey-Ginger Carrots

Boil baby carrots until done, drain
Melt a nice scoop of butter in a saucepan
Add a tablespoon of honey or so
Add several shakes of ground ginger (to taste - experiment a little)
Saute carrots gently in butter, honey & ginger until well coated
Pour into serving dish and serve

·
RockOut w/ your GlockOut
745 Posts
What, no Turducken! j/k

Green ... Bean ... Casserole is good, but I preffer my Green Beans slow cooked w/ bacon and red or yellow bellpeppers. Mmmmmm

"Frog Eye" Salad is a tradition @ my house. cooked little pasta's w/ a whipped cream mixture and fruit pieces, it's pretty good and the kids love it. Or Watergate salad, also a fruit and cream mix.

last year I made 90proof Rum Balls w/ my home made Rum:D: they were stonger than anyone had anticipated:upsidedown:....Good Times. OK, well maybe it was 110proof:eek:

So many good recipes, I'll have to let this one simmer and get back to you.

·
I'm keeping my eye on you
2,204 Posts
I didn't see any bread. Try homemade yeast rolls. They are easy to make. You just have to start early to let them rise twice. (don't take a shortcut with the rapidrise yeast, they won't be near as good) Your family will be impressed with the taste and quite possibly that you made them from scratch)

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Everyone, wow, these are all really good...keep em coming! I am going to save them ALL for my recipe collection!

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
I vote for the green bean casserole also. Oh, and Jerry's Honey Ginger Carrots sound terrific. I would probably go with the old standby that kids tend to like = homemade Mac and Cheese. Well, you could do a veggie plate for snacking while watching tv and visiting with one another. My family has a pretty set menu every year and it's always one year at my house, the next at my sisters but we both cook and so the meal never much changes. Turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole, cranberry (either sauce or some kind of fancied up congealed thingie), mac and cheese, corn casserole, sweet potatoes, rolls, ice tea/soda and then the deserts - cherry cheese pie, chocolate cake, bannana pudding. We eat then go into the den where we fall asleep watching tv and wake up drooling and leaning on one another and wonderin' what's left to eat. What a family!!!! Sometimes we have ham but not to often due to health/religious concerns.

·
I'm keeping my eye on you
2,204 Posts
Sorry firehiker...I got side tracked and forgot the recipe for the yeast rolls. This is a favorite at my house.

INGREDIENTS:
• 1 package active dry yeast
• 1/4 cup warm water
• 3/4 cup hot milk
• 3 tablespoons shortening
• 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
• 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
• 1 egg, beaten
• 4 cups all-purpose flour, or enough to make stiff dough
• melted butter

PREPARATION:
Dissolve yeast in warm water. Mix hot milk, shortening, sugar, and salt in large mixing bowl. Cool to lukewarm. Stir in yeast and beaten egg. Add 2 cups flour and beat until smooth. Gradually stir in more flour until dough leaves sides of bowl. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes. Place in a large buttered bowl. Turn over once to grease upper side of dough. Cover dough and let rise in warm, draft-free place until almost double in bulk, about 1 hour. Press dough down into bowl to remove the big air bubbles. Put a little shortening or butter on hands. Divide dough into small pieces. Roll into balls and place in shallow greased baking pan with sides touching. Cover loosely with cloth. Let rise in warm place until double in bulk, about 45 to 60 minutes. Bake in preheated 400° oven 15 to 20 minutes, or less times if your rolls are small. Remove from oven and brush with melted butter while hot. Makes 2 to 3 dozen, depending on size.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
OK here is what has always worked for me, because every guy and most girls around the United States Just love them!

The best part is.........I laugh all the way home from work because.........These guys have to go home and spend the night with their very angry wives. Ha! Ha!

yes- in-dee-dee, I'm talking about those infamous DEVILED EGGS !!!!!!!!! Aaaaahhhhhaaaa!

Place 18 whole eggs in a pan of cold water. Make sure water is 2" over the tops of the eggs. Once the water is on a good boiling roll, pull off the heat and place a lid over the pot. Let set for 30 minutes to finish cooking.

Pour hot water out of pan and replace with cold water......let set for 10 minutes......repeat last instruction pouring water out of pan after 20 minutes.

Crack and peal all eggs.

Slice each egg horizontally in half....scoop out yoke and place joke in a large bowl. Place egg white on large platter......repeat untill all eggs are cut and joke is scooped out.

Use a fork and smash all the yokes. Add enough mayonaise to make a smooth past from the yokes. Add enough mustard to give the tast that you like. Add enough horse radish to bring a ZING to your tounge. Salt and pepper to tast.

Fill a pastry bag with yoke mixture and squeeze mixture into each egg white. Sprinkle with paprika and place on the table.

The guys first hover like vultures......Then ATTACK like badgers to get every scrap of egg till non is left.

Yep! That's what I suggest. It has always worked for me.

·
Permanently gone
1,720 Posts
Deviled Eggs are THE favorite thing for me at ANY holiday or picnic or anytime!

But, you wanna knock their socks off?
I found myself in the same situation when I was doing a family Turkey Day dinner.
I was the last to be called and my sis said "Oh, just bring...whatever."
Okay...
Lasagna.
I use 3 kinds of meat (ground sirloin, ground veal and ground Italian sausage, ground together twice)
Several types of cheese, NO ricotta or cottage cheese! Fontina, Mozzarella, Parmesan, Romano, (secret ingredients that are not Italian) smoked Gouda and Havarti.(In most of Italy, the ricotta cheese is served in a bowl room temp, you add to your food what you want)
Red bell peppers, Yellow bell peppers and green bell peppers.
Three kinds of mushrooms. Button, Portabello, Shi-take
Spanish Red Onions.
Tomato paste (never the sauce!) Add water to get right consistency when cooking sauce.
Sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil, ground into a paste in food processor.
Fresh oregano
Fresh Basil
Garlic plus roasted garlic (yup, both)
Fresh parsley, minced fine
Black truffle oil (I sauteed the peppers and onions and mushrooms in it before adding to sauce)
I slaved over that stove for two days.

My sister was annoyed I brought something so UNtraditional.
She was even more annoyed when her hubby ate only a sliver of turkey but asked for seconds and then thirds of my lasagna.:D:

But, the yeast rolls are a good idea...I make some with a smidge of vanilla oil as well. (To make vanilla oil, break up one vanilla bean, put in canning jar, add one cup of warned oil--I use sunflower seed oil) Let set in back of cabinet for a week and then strain. Use the oil to oil the pans for your rolls or add a smidge to the dough when you mix it up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Three words:

Green ... Bean ... Casserole

:thumb:
YES!!! No Thanksgiving is complete without greenbean casserole!!!

9” pie crust
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
¾ cup sugar
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ginger

Cool
Pour filling into shell
Cool

2 tablespoons butter
¼ cup white Karo syrup
1 egg, well beaten
½ cup sugar
¼ cup water

Melt butter in skillet.

Copyright 2008

And all these recipes sound amazing too, I'm taking them! :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts