Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Nadafinga!!
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to put together a feasible GHB.

My scenario: The most common location for me other than home is work. I work on a federal installation that prohibits firearms. I live on one side of Houston. I work on the opposite side. As the crow flies, it is about 35 miles between the two with a major city in the middle. And, where I work is a prime terrorist target. In the event of something like a nuclear exchange, my workplace would be among the top 10 or 20 targets for attack. Oh, and just to the south is a nuclear plant. And, to the east is a sprawling network of oil refineries and chemical plants.

I have a lot of actual packs to choose from, so I am good there. I am looking for good suggestions on what to put in one.

It's a challenge to come up with a good plan to get home, much less a good GHB....

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
I travel about 90 miles each way ( up to Atlanta) every weekday, and I carry a back-pack with useful items, with an eye towards the get-home scenario,too. Off the top of my head, I keep in my back-pack:
-two local maps in a big zip-lock bag
-a lttle Brunton comapss
-a generic Leatherman-type tool
-a large Gerber folding knife
- two flashlights: an Inova X2 and Gerber Infinity with extra AA's
- a small Sony am/fm radio (also uses AA's)
- a Bic lighter and small Bausch & Lomb loup (magnifying glass)
-a couple sets of boot laces
-a pair of cool-max socks in zip-lock bag
-spare sunglass and reading glasses
-large Nalgene water bottle
-tan rip-stop boonie hat ( wool beanie,gloves & fleece pullover in winter)
-a couple packs of some kind of trail mix
-cheap PVC rain-jacket
-assorted other junk, like dental floss,aspirin,coinage,pens,deck of cards.
It ain't perfect, but it's light years better than nothing, and only weights maybe 10 pounds. :thumb:

(well,damnit :( i just checked my pack,curious to see what I missed, and noticed that I have a Benchmade folding knife in there ( not sure where I put the Gerber) and my spare sunglasses are busted all to hell !! I wore those Ray-Ban Cats for the first couple years I worked as a Divemaster/Instructor in Cancun & Cozumel back in '93-'94, they had a lot of sentimental value. My fault for being a dumbass and not keeping them in a hard case.)

·
Registered
Bugging In
1,825 Posts
Talk with the old guys down at range control. They know how to get in and out. Maybe take a hunter's safety course. (Gold mine) As for weapons, there will be a lot of them around if you need one. Pepper spray and knives are still OK, unless your Provost Marshal is a lot more strict than ours.

Tools are more important, though. Think about how you'd get back outside if your badge reader lost power. Consider keeping a small prybar, leatherman and flashlight in your locker or desk drawer along with the first aid kit, map, spare lunch stuff, baby wipes, hiking clothes, etc. Maybe a book bag / laptop carrier for your EDC stuff? Be the gray man.

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
Ouch

Seems impossible to get home in that scenario...so maybe you don't go home.

How about finding a nice strategic location to hide a stash close to were you work. Wait things out and then go from there.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Actually, in that location, you will probably be safer than at home if SHTF.

First off, I would not even try to cover that kind of ground unarmed in that kind of situation. Too many things could go wrong. It's Texas.

-Fire kit but I wouldn't bother with a stove. Bic, matches and tinder.

-At least one 32 oz water bottle. Maybe a filtered bladder.

-A very good medical kit to handle fractures and GSW.

-I would want a ghillie cape to completely camouflage myself.

-Say 4 MRE's and a couple lbs of trail mix to keep you fueled up.

-A fixed blade knife and multi-tool.

-Handheld light and small red LED.

-Quality maps of the area and a GPS.

-Prybar and carbide cutter for locks.

-Depending on the terrain, some tree steps.

-White smoke grenades if you can get them. Maybe mix it with a CS gas unit if you can get one of those.

-Good dust mask and maybe gas mask.

-Some very quiet shoes

-Very quiet clothing

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
In my research some of the items repeatedily needed are:

Water
Food
Good walking shoes with a hefty sole
Mask - for chemicals in the air (in both Japan and WTC the air was full of nasties).
SAK
Walking Pole/stick (in Japan to find the depth of water and help balance)
Fire starting kit and tinder
Warm clothes/change of clothes
Candy
Family photographs and documents
Money

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
You need a stash, and it don't have to be a hole in the ground. Dont you have a friend within walking distance of work? that you could leave a duffle bag at. Find one!
I would want a full chemical suit too. it's better to have it even if you dont need it - like Insurance. Then you could stock a little extra in a duffle, maybe for helping someone get moving too( if nothing else away from you)

35 miles is about two days walk for me normally, a young guy maybe a long day but it could even take a week in a bad disaster. I'd want stuff where I spend 1/2 my awake time.

·
Nadafinga!!
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Talk with the old guys down at range control. They know how to get in and out. Maybe take a hunter's safety course. (Gold mine) As for weapons, there will be a lot of them around if you need one. Pepper spray and knives are still OK, unless your Provost Marshal is a lot more strict than ours.
I work at a federal facility, but it is not a military base.

·
Banned
647 Posts
Ever consider creating a bag using some suggestions above or in other posts and rotating any food or medicines inside of it every 2 months but also include putting a rack on your vehicle for a mountain bike with a tire pump and patch kit? Roads will be parking lots, but you could pedal your way through all that and even go cross country if need be with a pack across your back. Mannnnnny people over look using bicycles, for guys I guess its a macho thing but its not difficult reaching 30mph on a bike or even 25, so in a little over an hour you could be home. Something to think about or consider.

·
Psalm 31:3
443 Posts
+1 for a hat. Summer in SE Texas can be brutal so consider that and water, lots of water. Also don't forget a water container, filter, and purification tablets.

My setup below;

The small bag stays in the front with me for easy access. In it is; a small LED flashlight, pocket knife, a small first aid kit, and a water filter that attaches to soda bottles.

A larger backpack style bag which holds;

-a full change of clothes
-another LED flashlight
-TP
-Emergency food and water (life raft rations)
-A Nalgen bottle with dried Gatorade packs to mix with water.
-Water purification tablets
-Fixed knife
-Leatherman
-A cheap poncho
-Poncho liner
-Hiking boot shoelaces
-Light jacket
-Bandanna
-Towel
-Baseball cap but I want a boonie hat.
-Bic light and matches.
-Larger First Aid kit.

·
Dios y Tejas
6,687 Posts
I'm on the north side of Houston and I know the areas you are describing. Most of the items listed by the above posters are correct and I wont re-list them, but definately a good fixed blade like a K-Bar, A taser of some type and some pepper spray. That area that you would have to traverse is one of the worst parts of town and in an emergency condition, you wont be able to make fast time. You'll have to be damn careful.
Think in terms of a lightweight camping ruck. I wouldnt count on being able to stop and pitch a tent, so raingear would probably be the most I would carry except for food (that doesnt require heat) and water
I wonder if the federal facility wont provide a "check your weapons" thing at the front gate. Maybe you could ask if that could be initiated. just a thought. Or maybe just dont park in the gooberment parking lot. park a couple of blocks away and walk in the gate. That would allow you to keep weapons in your vehicle.

·
Registered
89 Posts
"Mannnnnny people over look using bicycles... but its not difficult reaching 30mph on a bike or even 25..."

My job carries me 120 miles from home each day (all but 7 is Interstate), and I've been thinking about getting a small bike. Can anyone give me a link to a folding bike with which they've had personal experience? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I am going to assume you are doing this on foot because if you could drive home in under an hour (35 miles) you would not need a GHB.

When I think about my GHB I always try to keep in mind that this bag is only going to supply me long enough to get home (hence the term Get Home Bag). As such, the bag needs to be as light as possible so I can cover as much distance as possible as quickly as possible.

You should be able to cover 35 miles in 2 days, meaning you will likely be spending 1 night sleeping somehwere between your work and your home. This means the need to set up "camp" and get a fire going is not going to exist. There is no need to worry about sleeping arrangements too much because you can spend one night curled up in a ball somewhere, and most likely you won't be sleeping much anyways even if you do stop.

With the idea of 2 days and 1 night in mind, here is what I would pack:

3L water in CamelBack (should be enough for 2 days)
2400 cal Mainstay food ration bar (snacking on the go)
head lamp with spare batteries (to see obviously)
good running/hiking shoes (you may not be wearing comfortable shoes at work)
2 pair gym socks (you may not be wearing comfortable socks)
change of comfortable clothes (suited to your weather conditions)
sunglasses
multitool (lightweight and may come in useful)
lighter (you probably won't start a campfire, but it is light and good to have)
knife (folder or fixed, you likely won't be doing a lot of knife work anyways)
something for self defense (gun in the car, taser, baton, something)

The idea is to keep the bag light. You need it to get you home, not to set up camp and start a survival community, so plan it accordingly.

·
Forum Administrator
16,782 Posts
I live on one side of Houston. I work on the opposite side. As the crow flies, it is about 35 miles between the two with a major city in the middle.
Good luck with that.

You would probably be better off trying to work your way to a friends house that might be on the way, and going from there.

·
Nadafinga!!
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
...include putting a rack on your vehicle for a mountain bike with a tire pump and patch kit? Roads will be parking lots, but you could pedal your way through all that and even go cross country if need be with a pack across your back. ... Something to think about or consider.
I think a bike is a great idea. I drive a truck so I could lay it down in the back and lock it to the bed.

...definately a good fixed blade like a K-Bar, A taser of some type and some pepper spray. That area that you would have to traverse is one of the worst parts of town and in an emergency condition, you wont be able to make fast time. You'll have to be damn careful....
The K-Bar wouldn't be a problem. The pepper spray or taser is a no-go for where I work, though.

Yeah, there are some really rough neighborhoods between work and home. I am thinking more along the lines of making a wide detour. It could and 15-20 miles, I think, but may be worth it.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
thoughts

suppose this isnt a good question, but could you move closer to work? on the same side of town at least?

the other thing you could do is find the closest self-storage place to work and store supplies and weapons there. heck, all you need is a small closet type space, that should be pretty affordable.

if the power is out and or the place is unmanned you may need bolt cutters or Gerber Mil-spec Concertina wire cutters to get through the fence/gate.

are you sure you cant put at least one 9 mm in deep hiding in the car where it cant be found during a low level search at your work place?
Best of luck! ------------- Eric

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,711 Posts
Can anyone give me a link to a folding bike with which they've had personal experience? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

While i have don't have any personal experience with these, they are supposed to be pretty awesome, from what i've read and heard...

http://www.montaguebikes.com/

http://www.montaguebikes.com/paratrooper-folding-military-bike.html
•Speeds: 24
•Wheel Size:26"
•Folding Time: 20 sec.
•Folded Size: 36"x28"x12"
•Approx Weight: 29lbs
•M.S.R.P: $879.00

Good luck...

·
Nadafinga!!
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
suppose this isnt a good question, but could you move closer to work? on the same side of town at least?

the other thing you could do is find the closest self-storage place to work and store supplies and weapons there. heck, all you need is a small closet type space, that should be pretty affordable.

if the power is out and or the place is unmanned you may need bolt cutters or Gerber Mil-spec Concertina wire cutters to get through the fence/gate.

are you sure you cant put at least one 9 mm in deep hiding in the car where it cant be found during a low level search at your work place?
Best of luck! ------------- Eric
Well, stashing a pistol in my truck isn't worth me losing my job.

I really like the storage closet idea. In fact, it would make afternoon hunts a hell of a lot easier, too. Great idea. I am going to start shopping for one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts