Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Demon of the Midwest
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car GPS just took a dump and I'm in the market for a new one, I spent about 30 minutes trying to figure this all out at Cabellas today only to leave with a headache. I'm looking to get a new GPS but there are 50,000,000 different ones. Thus far I have yet to find just what I'm looking for, I tried the search function and found nothing, so here goes.

I'm looking for a GPS that I can use in the car, on the motor bike, in the woods and in coastal waters at least, whole ocean is cool to. At the very least I must have road and turf, I can live with out surf.

I need rugged to, my gear takes a beating submersible is a must in case its raining wile I'm on the bike, or what ever else you can imagine(not that you pervert.). SD card capability would be great but if I can have all the maps for north America stored on the unit's internal drive, and can add or remove maps Ill live. Has to have good support for new or updated maps. I want the ability to set lat and lon way points, and nearest POI on the road, food, gas, ect. I want to be able to get the fastest or shortest route, including gravel or off road options, or avoid toll roads avoid interstate ect. I want a compass and altimeter. Long battery life is a must, or at the very least the ability to change them. I also want a unit that will not loose signal in dense forest, in case I travel to the Amazon or something.

Now for what I'd like to have, but can live with out. Picture taking and nav back to the picture stuff like the Garmin Oregon would be useful. Topo maps would be great to, there just short of a required item. Other neeto info like moon phase, and tidal info or any other nifty things like that.

So what do you use, what do you recommended?

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
I have a DeLorme Earthmate PN-60W. It pairs with a SPOT emergency locator to send your GPS location via satellite to emergency responders in the event of an emergency. You can also use it to text short messages to specific people and even have a real time map on facebook charting your progress. (All these extras cost extra money.) Haven't had an emergency to use it on yet but got it mainly because my wife didn't like me traipsing off into the wilderness alone.

You can put an SD card of whatever size in it and keep the whole North American continent in it if you like.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I haven't been able to find anything that would cross over from roads to turf. I have a Garmin handheld, can't remember the model. It's simple to use and light weight. I don't bother with one for the vehicle because we usually use a Thomas Guide for that if we don't know where we're going. I do have the dreaded iPhone with built in GPS for roads and such if we have to find a way around construction or whatever, but we don't use that much.

·
Banned
130 Posts
when you say you did a "search"was that just on this forum? I spent ten years selling gps for a specialty outlet, and you need to narrow your requirements. there are many really good gps, some are more consumer friendly than others. I sold more garmin units than all the others combined, perhaps you should vist garmins website and use it to educate yourself on what various models are capable of.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I like the Garmin 60 CSX. Not sure if it's submersible, but the thing will take a beating, and there are accessories that will allow you to attach it to all the things you want. On water, I just put it in a dry bag that still allows me to operate the unit.

·
Demon of the Midwest
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is there a left handheld gps?

-i just had to :D
Yes but they cost an extra 32 cents:thumb::D:

when you say you did a "search"was that just on this forum? I spent ten years selling gps for a specialty outlet, and you need to narrow your requirements. there are many really good gps, some are more consumer friendly than others. I sold more garmin units than all the others combined, perhaps you should vist garmins website and use it to educate yourself on what various models are capable of.
Ive tried a few other places, Ive been on Garmins website but I cant tell if I can set latlon coordinates, at least if they say they do I'm to dumb to realize it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts