Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to get a Mora. I'm leaning heavily towards the Mora Companion MG to take the edge
off of me having to wait until I can pick up an ESEE-3 or 4 (to partner up with my ESEE-6).

I decided on the carbon blade over the stainless steel blade
because I suspect it will hold an edge better & longer.

Advice? Opinions? Alternatives for a sub-$20. knife of this quality?

·
Registered
6 Posts
SR69,
I have two of that very model and at least five other Moras, both Frosts and Erikssons. That is a good choice. You can't really go wrong at under $20. It's all a matter of what style handle you prefer. That style is right in the middle of what Frosts offers. The classic wood handles are slightly smaller, the one-piece plastic ones are slightly larger.
You will have an excellent edge right out of the box. Enjoy your new blade.
santo

·
Banned
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SR69,
I have two of that very model and at least five other Moras, both Frosts and Erikssons. That is a good choice. You can't really go wrong at under $20. It's all a matter of what style handle you prefer. That style is right in the middle of what Frosts offers. The classic wood handles are slightly smaller, the one-piece plastic ones are slightly larger.
You will have an excellent edge right out of the box. Enjoy your new blade.
santo
Thanks.

It's one of those pieces that someone who's getting into knives almost "has to" buy.
There's no excuse not to at under 20 bucks, but besides all that, Mora really seems
to be producing solid good quality knives.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
I love my mora knives. VERY durable and reliable for under $20. But I just want to point out that the stainless will hold a edge better and longer than the carbon. It is that the carbon sharpens up better and seems sharper when cutting.

Personally I like the classic Mora #1. The red handle can get a little slippery. But take off the paint and your are good. Also I carved into the birch handle some grooves to keep my knife from slipping.

·
Banned
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But I just want to point out that the stainless will hold a edge better and longer than the carbon. It is that the carbon sharpens up better and seems sharper when cutting.
Really? I was under the impression that SS will only hold an edge as well
as carbon if it has a hardened edge. Is this the case with Mora SS blade?

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
53,660 Posts
I have to get a Mora. I'm leaning heavily towards the Mora Companion MG to take the edge
off of me having to wait until I can pick up an ESEE-3 or 4 (to partner up with my ESEE-6).

Advice? Opinions? Alternatives for a sub-$20. knife of this quality?

Here are my three:

1) A $135.00 model (LAPP-95)
2) A $45.00 model (Bushcraft 2010)
3) An under $20.00 model (Classic Mora)

My favorite is the one in the middle. It's stainless steel with a non-slip handle. The more expensive one is full tang though which I appreciate. The 3rd and least expensive model will take care of most small tasks.

·
Stop YOLOing
3,364 Posts
Stainless steel is a very hard metal, so it holds its edge for a longer time...but since it's so hard, you can't really sharpen it like you can the carbon steel. Pretty much any sharpening stone will give you an edge on the carbon steel.

I just got two moras last week, and both shaved my arm hair right out of the box.

Remember that the carbon steel has to be cared for...keep it oiled or it can rust.

·
Banned
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stainless steel is a very hard metal, so it holds its edge for a longer time...but since it's so hard, you can't really sharpen it like you can the carbon steel. Pretty much any sharpening stone will give you an edge on the carbon steel.

I just got two moras last week, and both shaved my arm hair right out of the box.

Remember that the carbon steel has to be cared for...keep it oiled or it can rust.

Yep really. Generally speaking of course.

And yes all steel is softer before it is hardened. All mora stainless and carbon knives are hardened.
Good to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I picked one of these up from my local surplus store yesterday and it is indeed scary sharp. One thing that I'm not totally enthused about is the spine of the blade. I looks and feels unfinished, almost as if someone didn't send the blade through part of the polishing process. It will not effect the functionality but just does not look or feel right.

·
Banned
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They're both great knives. The SS holds an edge longer and is rust resistant.
The Carbon is slightly easier to sharpen.
Well it depends on how you want to use it and the purposes. Personally I like the carbon steel because I like a sharp knife and don't mind more frequent sharpening.
I plan to use it for small game & fishing.
I'll have a 3-4" knife for detail work and a 6" for utility.

I thoroughly enjoy maintaining my tools & equipment.
Knowing me, I'd regularly maintain any edge on any knife I own.

However, stainless steel attracts me for it's hygienic properties.
I think based on the fact that I will be using it for food prep,
stainless steel will be the way for me to go.

Yep...It's going to be a SS Mora MG for me then. Thanks a lot!

:thumb:

Help me out with this guys:

Is carbon better for brute work than SS?
(chopping, batoning, notching, whittling, etc...)

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
I plan to use it for small game & fishing.
I'll have a 3-4" knife for detail work and a 6" for utility.

I thoroughly enjoy maintaining my tools & equipment.
Knowing me, I'd regularly maintain any edge on any knife I own.

However, stainless steel attracts me for it's hygienic properties.
I think based on the fact that I will be using it for food prep,
stainless steel will be the way for me to go.

Yep...It's going to be a SS Mora MG for me then. Thanks a lot!

:thumb:

Help me out with this guys:

Is carbon better for brute work than SS?
(chopping, batoning, notching, whittling, etc...)
Well there is no hygienic difference between carbon steel and stainless. even stainless steel will rust. And I think that the SS Mora is a great knife.

Really the only big differences between the two steels are the way it cuts and how much it takes to maintain.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.