Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't post much on here but here it goes, I am 16 years old and 5'9 or 5'10 at 220 lbs. Mostly around the gut :( I am starting to walk regularly but with the holiday season coming (especially Thanksgiving) is there anyway I can stop GAINING weight, I have lost 20 already but I don't want to regain any of that weight during the winter. Any advice or help for me?

I don't smoke
I don't drink soda regularly
I don't drink except on occasions (weddings, 4th of july, New years etc.)
I only eat chips about once a week (bag of flaming hot cheetohs (my kryptonite.)

Any extra advice.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Get out, exercise, hike, hunt, stay outdoors, practice survival, do it with friends, eat more fruits and vegetables, drink only water.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
Eat a normal breakfast and lunch, lite to moderate dinner. Walk every day for at least 45 min and snack on apples and bananas. Drink water, coffee in the AM is OK. Reduce red meat / pork intake and up the vegetable intake. You'll lose weight.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'll back up kahn, eat a good breakfast to get you going, have a medium lunch (snadwitch, etc...) and snack on fruits/veggies throughout the day and finish with a lite dinner. The key is to snack all day long on healthy foods like carrot sticks, apples chunks, oranges and stuff like that to keep your metabolism going all day.

Try to work out a little bit every day as well. Go on a walk for a mile or so in the morning and jog at night, or join a local karate studio and learn some self-defense in the process. I say this with experience, I have lost over 140 pounds in the last year and a half with diet and exercise! And I have always had a really hard time with weight as well! Just keep in mind that it is never "easy". There is always that temptation to eat something bad, or to skip working out or whatever. It is an ongoing struggle (at least for me) but one that is well worth it in the end.

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
Do not stress about it. Especially over the holidays. Stress about weight will cause you to gain weight. Go easy on yourself and indulge a bit. Just promise you will get back to your diet and exercise soon... and then do it.

Have you thought about keeping a calorie diary? If you are consuming way less than normal you may have a medical condition. I kept a payment diary for a month when I could not figure out why I could not save anything. The results were enlightening to say the least. The diary will be some good evidence if you have to see a doctor.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
go nuts during the holidays. all i gotta say is NO PAIN NO GAIN. that statement is 100% true when it comes to working out. walking isnt enough excersise for a 16 yr old. start doing pushups, pull ups sit ups all that kinda stuff. start jogging or biking and make it hurt. it should be torture during the workout, then you will feel like a billion dollars afterward physically and mentally.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Au contraire.

I certainly agree that a mild walk is not enough for a 16 yr old. And my workouts do involve pain and sweat. Currently sore toe, knee, shoulder, and fingers. MMA + kickboxing 4 hours a week, plus hikeing etc.

BUT - you have to find the workout you enjoy, because it has to be a lifestyle change, not a temporary diet. Its useless to do 1 week of treadmill running and quit, better to do what you like every week the rest of your life.

AND - stop eating for emotional reasons. Feel blue? get outside. Feel angry, do some impact work, whether thats punchbag or woodsplitting. Feel bored? Do an activity, don't just eat.

·
In a pile of brass
3,775 Posts
i dont care what anyone else says about this...you can eat whatever you want accpet sugar... my great grandpa p. just died last year at 100 something (he never talked about his age...) and every single morning he would eat alot of bacon, eggs, coffee. and every night he had some kind of meat and WATER.... fat isnt what caused it, its sugar... i used to be a huge kid, and i eat more than anyone else i know but im skinny now because i dont eat sugar!!!! so fat=okay....sugar=bad....

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I would say get out and exercise like others have said until you're above average fitness, eat healthy, drink lots of water, and if you're still concerned about your weight after you're above average in the fitness category, start high-intensity interval training. It's a killer, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doubts their ability to do it, but man, you get fit.

·
Registered
816 Posts
i dont care what anyone else says about this...you can eat whatever you want accpet sugar... my great grandpa p. just died last year at 100 something (he never talked about his age...) and every single morning he would eat alot of bacon, eggs, coffee. and every night he had some kind of meat and WATER.... fat isnt what caused it, its sugar... i used to be a huge kid, and i eat more than anyone else i know but im skinny now because i dont eat sugar!!!! so fat=okay....sugar=bad....
You are right to an extent. It is true that Sugar, processed foods, and corn syrup are the real enemies. But while natural foods like eggs and bacon aren't 'unhealthy', if you are eating more calories than you burn you will still gain weight.

Stay away from processed foods and exercise religiously.

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
Could look up calories. There are many sites that have calorie counters for every little dish or food item. Sometimes people just don't know how one thing differs from another, ther "feel" like they have about the same amount of calories (Althought it could work in the other direction too, I found out to my huge surprise that I only consumed 700-900 calories a day which isn't good either).

I think to some extent it's attitude and what you are used to. People usually have a very allowing attitude towards food. Like you state you "only" eat a chips once a week. I hear people say they "only" eat a chocolate bar a day, or they "only" eat pizza once a week etc etc.

And replace. Don't just take away food. Make yourself eat stuff too. Things you know are good.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Drink a lot of water. This takes away your long for food and it's healthy. Ask your parents to help you. Set goals, but be realistic. Losing weight takes months not days. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Never skip a meal, this drops your metabolism which makes it harder to lose weight.

Have a good, solid breakfast. This gives your metabolism a boost.

Swim, walk, bike.

Maybe a small comfort, but most people gain some weight in the winter months.

Anyways, I hope these things help you.

Good luck, Tim

·
Squawker
145 Posts
Walking is good exercise, and will certainly help you lose weight. Something else to consider is weight training. If you have access to a gym, it will really help. Aerobic exercise is great, it increases your metabolism for many hours after you've finished. Weight training builds muscle, which is metabolically active tissue, meaning it burns calories, every minute of the day. Increasing your muscle mass will increase your total body weight, but the extra muscle will burn more calories, and help you lose fat faster (and it's really not "weight" that you need to lose, it's fat). The best exercise program is a combination of aerobic and weight training. Also, even though you're young, at your body weight, you would do well to see your doctor before increasing your exercise routine.

·
Just use a 2x4
822 Posts
Genetics. My grandmother ate bacon and eggs every morning until she was about 90.... then she had slight hardening of the arteries and switched to oatmeal for breakfast but never changed anything else about her diet. She walked every day and I know that helped.

But genetically, she (and I) was gifted with the ability to produce enough "good" cholesterol to cancel out the "bad" cholesterol for three people.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts