Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to find a CFP-90 pack in excellent condition on eBay for under 80 bucks, and would like some assistance in modifying this to fit my needs.

A disclaimer for those who have heard horrible things about the CFP-90, the horror stories of packs busting open at the seams only happens on packs manufactured by F.C.I. out of South Dakota, they broke regulation and decided to cut costs by using non mil spec materials which proved to hurt them greatly. If you have one manufactured by SDS, DJ Manufacturing or the actual designer of the pack, Alpine Lowe, you're good to go.

Avoid all copies sold by Rothco or the like, like the plague. These are knock-offs made in South Korea out of "tactical polyester".

First some general information about the pack:

The CFP-90 is an internal frame pack, which uses two aluminum bars as it's frame. It uses a rather aggravating and unreliable track and clamp system for adjusting the shoulder straps. The pack is made out of 1000D Cordura with a PU type backing. It has a removable and re-positionable back support pad, It has three side pockets, two on one side, one long one on the other, all the pouches have a draw string and cord lock, a nylon loop for passing a compression strap through, and all the pouches have their own backing material are only sewn on at both vertical ends, allowing for objects like axes, skis, etc to be slipped behind them and secured. The pack does have load lifter straps. The main compartment flap has a map pouch similar to that found on ALICE packs. All the plastic hardware is ITW Nexus, not sure of the origins of the metal components. The back of the pack does have ALICE webbing. There is a patrol pack that clips onto either the top or the back of the pack. The main compartment does have a snow collar. The main compartment has a false bottom, made up of two flaps that are attached by some gutted paracord. The sleeping bag compartment has it's own zipper and can be accessed when the main pack has contents in it.

Sorry to those of you who own this pack, or aren't blind but I think it's necessary to list what the pack has going for it, and what it doesn't off hand before listing modifications.

Here's a photo set of the pack, showing various details of the pack.

Now for the mods.

Keep in mind that I'm no pack expert, nor do I have any idea of what I'm talking about, so if you know better please do reply and tell me why I'm wrong as I have absolutely no experience in pack design what so ever.

If you also have insight that would help me preform these mods, or know of someone who is willing to do them for a reasonable price, that is even more appreciated.

Here is what I have in mind based on my observations of other modern packs:

Remove middle ALICE webbing and add in MOLLE between the top and bottom

Replace Shoulder straps and waist belt with ILBE Shoulder straps, ILBE Waist Belt, and implement a less adjustable yet more reliable strap adjustment system:

Just to illustrate how skimpy the straps and waist belt are, here is a picture of the CFP-90 compared to an ILBE.

I will also need to fabricate or purchase a back pad for the waist belt as the one on the ILBE is not removable and is permanently attached to it.

I have already procured the tongues that fit into the ILBE straps quick release buckles, so that isn't a problem.

Remove and save side pouches, and either adapt for MOLLE or PLCE compatible rucksack pouch attachment.

The above ties into the next mod which is to add in PLCE bergen zippers to accept PLCE/Berghaus pouches:

Here is what the pouches look like attached to a compatible pack:

Another interesting thing about PLCE side pouches is they can be fashioned into a daypack:

As far as my own ideas for mods, I've reached the end of them.

Again, any and all suggestions are welcome.

·
Banned
3,896 Posts
Nice! A Frakenpack! I was going to suggest going with MOLLE II shoulder straps and waistbelt in keeping with the Woodland Camo theme, but you can go wrong with ILBE for comfort. That's a really nice looking CFP90 you got there. Woodland Camo is my favorite pattern followed by MARPAT.

Before I knew the specifics of the CFP90, I configured my exterior pouches on my
Hellcat and ILBE just like it (long pouch on right side, 2 smaller pouches on left).

Hellcat

ILBE

I'd suggest a small pouch mounted to the opposite shoulder pouch of your dominate hand
for quick access to emergency items like a signal mirror & whistle and possibly a compass.

Packing-wise, I'm sure you're familiar with the lightest items bottom/heavies close to your back & top layout.
I'd use the radio pouch to house the heaviest bits of kit and store them in ditty bags for quick access & retrieval.

I'd suggest a hydration system mounted to the back of your pack that's detachable and acts as an independent
unit to act as a satellite pack when at your campsite. Of course, you can also get some that are packs in themselves
and add c.i.'s to your load.

I have 14lbs of my load evenly distributed in the side pockets (7.5lbs per side). In my long pouch, I keep the
pack rain cover (a Woodland Camo cover that I'm going to replace with a MARPAT cover, so it'll be for sale or
trade soon ;) ) and my poncho on top of it for instant access to my rain gear in case of a sudden downpour.

On my left side, I keep my USGI Mess Kit in the bottom pouch and Canteen in the top pouch where I plan to
keep filled with sports drink juice (Powerade, Gatorade, etc...) for those times that I need a little bit more than
just water to drink. I also keep tools on the sides (saw, machete, axe, etc...). In my ILBE as with my Hellcat,
they slipped in behind the side pockets conveniently. Main pouch; sleeping bag in first with everything else
on top of that.

So basically, a small shoulder pouch, rain cover in the side long pouch, rubber bottom , MOLLE II shoulder/waist
belt set (see Tony's Tactical/Victor 23 member here on board for that set) and a hydration pack is all I could offer.

One mod I'm going to do to my ILBE will be a thick rubber bottom. I'll possibly recycle a car mat or something
like that for when I put the pack down on the ground. Of course, I could've just suggest you get an ILBE and
have everything you're going to mod to the CFP90, but that would be too easy, wouldn't it. ;)

·
Registered
593 Posts
One mod I'm going to do to my ILBE will be a thick rubber bottom. I'll possibly recycle a car mat or something
like that for when I put the pack down on the ground. Of course, I could've just suggest you get an ILBE and
have everything you're going to mod to the CFP90, but that would be too easy, wouldn't it. ;)
I'd say FILBE, but otherwise, I agree.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
A disclaimer for those who have heard horrible things about the CFP-90, the horror stories of packs busting open at the seams only happens on packs manufactured by F.C.I. out of South Dakota, they broke regulation and decided to cut costs by using non mil spec materials which proved to hurt them greatly. If you have one manufactured by SDS, DJ Manufacturing or the actual designer of the pack, Alpine Lowe, you're good to go

I had a source of genuine CFP-90s several years ago. One of my customers refused to pay the 150 asking price (going rate at the time), and instead got one for less than $50, if i remember correctly. He experienced the separating at the seams issue after he was hiking with it in the rain, and the pack got soaked. Ended up buying one of mine, to replace the bad one after all.

My source long dried up. Wish I had gotten one for myself at that point. However, I do have a Tawian made CFP-90 that seems to be holding up fairly well. The only issue is several of the plastic buckles broke when fully weighted. I made the fix by jamming Alice clips into the part.

I am not sure who makes it though. I got mine through a wholesale account I have with Fox Outdoor.

I have several other of thier Taiwan made packs as well. All are really tough and durable.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I had a source of genuine CFP-90s several years ago. One of my customers refused to pay the 150 asking price (going rate at the time), and instead got one for less than $50, if i remember correctly. He experienced the separating at the seams issue after he was hiking with it in the rain, and the pack got soaked. Ended up buying one of mine, to replace the bad one after all.

My source long dried up. Wish I had gotten one for myself at that point. However, I do have a Tawian made CFP-90 that seems to be holding up fairly well. The only issue is several of the plastic buckles broke when fully weighted. I made the fix by jamming Alice clips into the part.

I am not sure who makes it though. I got mine through a wholesale account I have with Fox Outdoor.

I have several other of thier Taiwan made packs as well. All are really tough and durable.
The Rothco/Fox Outdoor copies are made by a Korean firm known as Koimex Corporation of South Korea.

It looks to be the company that supplies all the surplus stores with cheap knockoffs of surplus from days gone by.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice! A Frakenpack! I was going to suggest going with MOLLE II shoulder straps and waistbelt in keeping with the Woodland Camo theme, but you can go wrong with ILBE for comfort. That's a really nice looking CFP90 you got there. Woodland Camo is my favorite pattern followed by MARPAT.

Before I knew the specifics of the CFP90, I configured my exterior pouches on my
Hellcat and ILBE just like it (long pouch on right side, 2 smaller pouches on left).

I'd suggest a small pouch mounted to the opposite shoulder pouch of your dominate hand
for quick access to emergency items like a signal mirror & whistle and possibly a compass.

Packing-wise, I'm sure you're familiar with the lightest items bottom/heavies close to your back & top layout.
I'd use the radio pouch to house the heaviest bits of kit and store them in ditty bags for quick access & retrieval.

I'd suggest a hydration system mounted to the back of your pack that's detachable and acts as an independent
unit to act as a satellite pack when at your campsite. Of course, you can also get some that are packs in themselves
and add c.i.'s to your load.

I have 14lbs of my load evenly distributed in the side pockets (7.5lbs per side). In my long pouch, I keep the
pack rain cover (a Woodland Camo cover that I'm going to replace with a MARPAT cover, so it'll be for sale or
trade soon ;) ) and my poncho on top of it for instant access to my rain gear in case of a sudden downpour.

On my left side, I keep my USGI Mess Kit in the bottom pouch and Canteen in the top pouch where I plan to
keep filled with sports drink juice (Powerade, Gatorade, etc...) for those times that I need a little bit more than
just water to drink. I also keep tools on the sides (saw, machete, axe, etc...). In my ILBE as with my Hellcat,
they slipped in behind the side pockets conveniently. Main pouch; sleeping bag in first with everything else
on top of that.

So basically, a small shoulder pouch, rain cover in the side long pouch, rubber bottom , MOLLE II shoulder/waist
belt set (see Tony's Tactical/Victor 23 member here on board for that set) and a hydration pack is all I could offer.

I've looked at the ILBE, and for the same reasons the Marine Corps ditched it, I wouldn't adopt it.

The ILBE for one is quite a bit harder to pack, especially any of the larger sleep systems. Considering the CFP-90 was designed as a cold weather pack, it has quite a bit of room for bulkier items.

·
Banned
3,896 Posts
I've looked at the ILBE, and for the same reasons the Marine Corps ditched it, I wouldn't adopt it.

The ILBE for one is quite a bit harder to pack, especially any of the larger sleep systems. Considering the CFP-90 was designed as a cold weather pack, it has quite a bit of room for bulkier items.
The reason they ditched it was because it wasn't compatible with their body armor.
As for the MSS, once compressed, I get mine okay. Just slide it vertically in then
right before it hits bottom, I swing it horizontally. I'd only have to go through that in
the winter anyway because I wouldn't carry the entire MSS for 3-Season use.

:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The reason they ditched it was because it wasn't compatible with their body armor.
As for the MSS, once compressed, I get mine okay. Just slide it vertically in then
right before it hits bottom, I swing it horizontally. I'd only have to go through that in
the winter anyway because I wouldn't carry the entire MSS for 3-Season use.

:)
True, It is a great buy for the civilian market, and the padding is most definitely the most comfortable I've found on any mil spec rucksack available. Trouble with that was, most if not all marines couldn't feel that padding under their armor so it made virtually no difference.

Don't get me wrong, the ILBE is a great pack but there were just certain things that ended up attracting me to the CFP-90.

·
Banned
3,896 Posts
True, It is a great buy for the civilian market, and the padding is most definitely the most comfortable I've found on any mil spec rucksack available. Trouble with that was, most if not all marines couldn't feel that padding under their armor so it made virtually no difference.

Don't get me wrong, the ILBE is a great pack but there were just certain things that ended up attracting me to the CFP-90.
I'm the first one to tell you to go for exactly what you want. I'm the kind of person who
strongly believes in a person using exactly what they want to use when they want to use it. :)

I went from the MOLLE II harness to the ILBE. Undeniably better. Or I should say "better for me" because they might
not be comfortable for someone else and I'm a firm believer that comfort (like a lot of things) is relative to the user.

As for the CFP90, I have a fetish for USGI gear. You don't have to say much to convince me. I'm looking forward to
your project. As you can see, I had a ball with upgrading and modifying my own ALICE Hellcat. I ended up trading it to
someone I now consider a good friend here and I got something I really wanted in the deal. I knew I was going to get
the ILBE and that Hellcat deserved to be used.

:D:

·
Registered
593 Posts
I went from the MOLLE II harness to the ILBE. Undeniably better. Or I should say "better for me" because they might
not be comfortable for someone else and I'm a firm believer that comfort (like a lot of things) is relative to the user.
It's interesting that the FILBE went back to a MOLLE II-esque shoulder harness and hip belt. I can hardly wait for those to enter the surplus market because I have serious lust in my heart for a set to try out on a 1606AC-framed Hellcat.

On topic, I remember when the CFP-90 was first issued. It made a big splash because it was the first modern US military ruck to have an internal frame and a detachable sub-pack. It seemed like it didn't last long in the system, though, and was issued only for cold-weather use. I've always wondered about that. Is it because of the early production issues or did the design of the pack not meet the military's expectations?

In any case, the CFP-90 looks like a fun pack to modify, and it should be really nice for BOB/camping use.

I didn't see this mentioned in the thread (pardon me if I missed it), but Tactical Tailor offers a boatload of mods for the ALICE ruck, similar to the ones the OP is proposing here. I wonder if they would be willing to apply some of those to a CFP-90.

As for a CFP-90 source, though they don't have any right now, Uncle Sam's Retail Outlet did have NIB ones about a month ago for about $100. If you're looking for one, I'd keep an eye out there to see if any more show up.

·
Banned
3,896 Posts
It's interesting that the FILBE went back to a MOLLE II-esque shoulder harness and hip belt. I can hardly wait for those to enter the surplus market because I have serious lust in my heart for a set to try out on a 1606AC-framed Hellcat.
Yeah. Mystery Ranch went back to the ALICE design with an exterior frame that's someone incorporated
into the pack and with a MOLLE II design. It's like they took the best of both worlds and compromised.
It's already available on ebay, but they are going for about $450. Well worth it IMO when you consider
when you're getting a Mystery Ranch pack.

On topic, I remember when the CFP-90 was first issued. It made a big splash because it was the first modern US military ruck to have an internal frame and a detachable sub-pack. It seemed like it didn't last long in the system, though, and was issued only for cold-weather use. I've always wondered about that. Is it because of the early production issues or did the design of the pack not meet the military's expectations?
If you look at it, it looks like a transtionary pack between ALICE & MOLLE. Notice that?

In any case, the CFP-90 looks like a fun pack to modify, and it should be really nice for BOB/camping use.

As for a CFP-90 source, though they don't have any right now, Uncle Sam's Retail Outlet did have NIB ones about a month ago for about $100. If you're looking for one, I'd keep an eye out there to see if any more show up.
That'd be a good price on NIB examples.

I don't think I have one pack that I haven't in some way I modified. I love thread like this.

:D:

·
Registered
593 Posts
If you look at it, it looks like a transtionary pack between ALICE & MOLLE. Notice that?
Yeah, the CFP-90 is sort of like a proto-ILBE. All of those ALICE attachment points would be really nice for setting things up to your liking. I've thought a couple of times about removing the built-in pockets on my ALICE pack and replacing them with PALS webbing that would also extend to both sides of the pack. Unfortunately, I thik that's beyond my sewing capabilities.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The CFP-90 was supposed to be the next step in packs, it went along with the IIFS load out system that really never made it's way into the field, and was replaced by MOLLE.

Strangely enough, the acronym CFP-90 wasn't army kosher. The actual acronym for the pack is FPLIF or Field Pack, Large With Internal Frame.

Far less memorable then ALICE or MOLLE.

·
Have gun,will travel
4,538 Posts
I have two CFPs. They are good, solid packs and when properly packed and organized they will haul a LOT of stuff. I don't know if yours came with the repair kit, but both of mine did. A zip-loc bag full of replacement buckles, and a VHS tape.

Reactions: kev and stabnshoot
1 - 20 of 54 Posts