Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you read this you may think I am ungrateful and complaining about my situation, I assure you this is not the case. In light of the unemployment that is rampant in the states now and people being forced into lower paying jobs I am extremely grateful for having the job I have now.

That being said - I am currently working in a Shipping and Receiving Warehouse. I am working 40 hours a week and making 15.93/hr. My take home is about 450/weekly.

For the last 2 months I have picked up another Job as a casual at the Post Office making 12.88/hr. I am doing 20/hrs a week there with a BIWEEKLY take home of about 450. So basically I make in 2 week at the Post Office what I make at my current primary Job.

I would really like to see myself making around 20/hr and upwards if possible. I have a tendency to be an alarmist, but this time I truly feel justified. With further and deeper research into the financial state of our economy I am bracing for the worst and have begun my preps this past month, after only recently buying into the idea. I would like to get prepped as best as possible and as fast as possible for me and my family of 5 . I am 23 and living at home still and will be working in unison with my Father who I have discussed all of this with.

But back to my question, with my experience in warehouse type work, but also being a pretty intelligent person where is the best Job Market for me? I am good a thinking critically and being assertive and cool headed under pressure. Anyone know somewhere you could lead me?

If it makes any difference I am living in Western Mass. I don't know if there is anyone on these boards from that area. but it may help to give an idea of the local job market. Thanks for the input!

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Seems to me that you are making a pretty good wage at your jobs without getting into professional or management.

You have a family of 5 which will require more resources. But you are living at home which will reduce your amount needed for living expenses. Personally I think that is a good way to go. Many other cultures live with extended family in order to save money and support each other. I think that is the way it should be.

Right now you are taking home about $700 a week so $2800 a month. That really isn't bad depending on your other expenses. Share the housing and utilities, that leaves Food I think as your largest expense for a family of 5. Quit eating out to save money and serve more beans, rice, and fresh foods to cut down on feeding costs.

Now all that aside, looking to improve your job situation is always a good thing. If you can make the same amount (or more) doing only 1 job... then why not? To pull in 20$ an hour you are looking about a salary of about 40k a year or more. Take a look at these jobs and see if anything in that salary range looks good to you. Research the area you are living to see what certain jobs are paying in those fields.

http://www1.salary.com/Salary-Ranges.html

Good luck!

·
Registered
858 Posts
Mike could you please provide a CV of sorts, it is difficult to help you if we don't know what skills, training and education you have.

Did you go to university?, is your work experience predominantly in the warehouse environment? etc

As important as prepping is sometimes its better to not go out and spend your money on preps but to save and provide yourself a better financial situation.

I'l help more once I have more info.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Get trained as a emergency medical technician.

It looks good on a resume for many jobs.
Companies like to have someone around that is trained as a EMT just in case.(job security Hired first laid off last)

I was a EMT working construction and mining jobs for over 40 years.
I had my main trades as a industrial construction electrician and underground miner.
But i was also the site EMT if there was a emergency.
And also took care of site first aid like bandaging fingers, heads, ECT

In most cases i got paid 1 to 3 dollars a hour extra just for being there on top of my regular pay.
Some times i even got a company truck to use.

Plus you can find work on weekends at major public events, concerts.

I did work at off road races and desert motorcycle races.
I also did part time on weekends on a transport ambulance taking psychiatric patients to the state hospital. Some in restraints with a ride along cop.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You are doing well for your situation. I know a family where the two providers make $13 an hour working in the medical field in an assisted living facility here in California. They are able to prep for 5. Unless you have the education to get in to management, look for a better deal. But the chances are, $10-17 is the going range, even for here. It beats fast food, although you can still manage to prep from income there too. You don't have to walk out with $500 of food each time you go and prep to work towards something substantial. I even know an Army PVT who still sends his part of his check home to his dad to help with preps. Good luck to you in your search Mike.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike could you please provide a CV of sorts, it is difficult to help you if we don't know what skills, training and education you have.

Did you go to university?, is your work experience predominantly in the warehouse environment? etc

As important as prepping is sometimes its better to not go out and spend your money on preps but to save and provide yourself a better financial situation.

I'l help more once I have more info.

Well here goes. I graduated High School, then went on to Community College for an AD but never completed it. I seem to remember either being a few credits short or my GPA not being up to par. I was thinking about going back and finishing it, but was unsure if its even worth it nowadays.

I worked 2 Summers at the County Corrections Office as a Correctional Officer. Before that just menial minimum wage jobs. And for the past 2 years I have been in the Manufacturing/Shipping&Receiving Business.

My current employer is an Ice Cream Company. The reason I bring all this up is I am shaky about the longevity of this company. Last year it stopped matching 401k's and has been cutting back, citing loss of revenue. And I have noticed a considerable decline in product being ordered from our plant. I feel it is better to get ready for a possible lay off now than to rush into looking for a job when that lay off actually happens (hopefully not).

I feel I could do really well in counseling, nothing to high up just basic counseling. I am very good at giving advice and mediating situations being unbiased and far. Other field that would tie into that would be some kind of mediation relations, between say divorcing couples or civil disputes what have you. I am unsure of what kind of credentials are needed to get into this field and I have heard it does not compensate very well - regardless, it does peak my interest.

Let me know if you would like further information. Thank you to all of you who responded, your getting the wheels turning in my head!!

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
I know a growing number of people who no longer look for a "job", and have simply begun to subsist on trading used goods, clothing, shoes, doing odd jobs, handyman work, lawn care, etc. Hour per hour, they can do as well or better than the wages you provided here. But they can also set their own schedule, deduct expenses, and perhaps grow their business -- whereas the only way to grow an income with a salary or wage job is to work more hours. Unless you have a Boomer-style job with time-and-a-half overtime pay, or you work sales and get a commission.

·
war comin, choose a side
401 Posts
I have started my own security supply company. It is a job where however much you put in determines how much you get out. I have two different catalogs to sell from and a great ship. ping system.so you wouldnt have to worry about shipping i will take care of that. All of this can be done on the internet. Or however you choose, tons of freedom and wiggle room. My wife sells some stuff on ebay. You do not have to invest loads of money to get the equipment to sell. I could take care of all of that for you. This job offers tons of flexibility. And you are only limited by your imagination on how you want to sell. It is a perfect spare time job. It has a good profit margin in it too. Always a plus. Anyway, i guess i am offering you a job. If you think you might be interested, feel free to PM me. I will then give you more information and answer any questions you may have. I will help anyone else who may be interested.

·
Still here...
1,153 Posts
I feel I could do really well in counseling, nothing to high up just basic counseling. I am very good at giving advice and mediating situations being unbiased and far. Other field that would tie into that would be some kind of mediation relations, between say divorcing couples or civil disputes what have you. I am unsure of what kind of credentials are needed to get into this field and I have heard it does not compensate very well - regardless, it does peak my interest.
You need a Masters to be a licensed counselor in most states. Then you'll need to apply for licensing.

The time goes quickly, though.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
You have to take into account the fact that if you leave the jobs you have now for a "better" paying job you run the risk of being the last in, the first out in the new job. Things have not gotten any better and chances are that will not happen for a long time.

·
Most Thankful Guy here
38,965 Posts
15 and change an hour is nothing to sneeze at. Good luck with your search.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts