1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a take down .22 rifle. I have narrowed it down to two choices:

Marline Papoose
Taurus Model 62 Carbine

I have heard very good things about the Marlin but I am wondering about the Taurus. I like the Model 62 comes in stainless, breaks down easily into 2 pieces, holds 12 rounds and I just like the looks. I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with Model 62 or has heard good or bad things.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,740 Posts
I don't know anything about the Taurus but I can tell you the Marlin is great. It breaks down and stores in the stock, it floats, and it's a Marlin.

·
Getting There!
11,458 Posts
No interest in Ruger? I just looked at one at lunch. It's a quality gun!

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a Ruger 10/22, great gun but I need something that breaks down to a small package for when I go camping. I had an Ar-7 and it was very unreliable. Folding stocks on semi-autos are illegal in my state so I cannot put one on my 10/22. I think the Taurs and Papoose are my best choices for a .22

·
Registered
34,722 Posts

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I like the Marlin. I like the Taurus warranty. Taurus is very good about standing behind their guns but I would go with the Marlin. It is a known.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
That papoose is a great take down gun. I'd go for that one. I had an eye on it too, but have gotten carried away with getting another M4.

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like everyone is leaning towards the Papoose. I will get an idea of price tomorrow at the gun store. Any suggestions on where to ge 10 round magazines?

·
Registered
111 Posts
centerfire in versalles ky has just about anything you need as far as weapons and ammo/survival gear they also have a great on line store you can google centerfire inc. but i think the site is centerfireinc.com

·
Registered
148 Posts
Picking between your two candidates, the Marlin is clearly the preferred choice.

It is not the only takedown .22 that might fit your requirements. One potential candidate is the Marlin 39A Mountie: 20" barrel lever gun, breaks down, but is out of production. You would have to look for one and it wouldn't be inexpensive.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Bought a Marlin 70 Papoose yesterday. Got it for $125, with a broken firing pin. Replaced the firing pin, and it shoots as good as my Model 60 and my Mossberg. It also has the added benefit of being a breakdown rifle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bought a Marlin 70 Papoose yesterday. Got it for $125, with a broken firing pin. Replaced the firing pin, and it shoots as good as my Model 60 and my Mossberg. It also has the added benefit of being a breakdown rifle.

Congrats, sounds like a good price on a good gun.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts