Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
May *** help us all.
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm having a dilemma. I've been set on getting a home defense shotgun now for a while, but am warming to the idea of an AR.

Obviously, the AR is significantly more expensive, so that factors into the decision.

·
*** Bless America
480 Posts
I guess it depends on your application for the weapon. For home defense i got the 12 ga first because i needed something to compliment my revolver, im not made of money, so i went with the 870. But it really all depends on YOUR situation. I think you probably already know, but it doesnt hurt to get a second opinion

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, I'm having a dilemma. I've been set on getting a home defense shotgun now for a while, but am warming to the idea of an AR.

Obviously, the AR is significantly more expensive, so that factors into the decision.
if i were you i would go with a 870 12ga.It also will save you some money.

·
Keeper of Tomes
1,704 Posts
If its defense here's what i think. A 12ga is great until you step off the porch. An AR is good indoors or out. Here in Augusta there have been cases where Home Intruders have been using ballistic vests. As these vests become more and more affordable the less the 12ga is relevant. Criminals in IOTVs is the future.

·
Time to hit reset
25,656 Posts
For what it's worth, I'd opt for a 12 ga. and work toward an AR. Not only based on cost, but your proficiency with the weapon. Another major factor when considering this is obviously who will be using it, but having a 'back stop' if you overshoot. Bullets will tear thru drywall and wood, and you dont need any high-speed rounds travelling thru walls with kids in the next room. Obviously a shotgun gives you the flexibility of ammo types.

Just my 2 cents. :)

·
Keeper of Tomes
1,704 Posts
If you have to step off your porch in HOME defense, unless it's a SHTF scenario, you would be a WORLD of legal trouble.
Here is GA your allowed to protect you property. ALL you property. This extends off your porch. Someone breaking into your car, i have outbuildings 100yds away. Just because SC doesnt allow you to defend your property from theft doesnt mean other states dont. So yes there are a lot of times when you may need to step off the porch.

Again cases are on the rise of criminals using body armor. I would hate to good outside to check a noise and find some thug breaking into my building, especially if he's got an AK. I consider a 12ga a turtlers gun. If your plan is to never go outside to defend your property from theft then i say go for it.

·
Time to hit reset
25,656 Posts
If its defense here's what i think. A 12ga is great until you step off the porch. An AR is good indoors or out. Here in Augusta there have been cases where Home Intruders have been using ballistic vests. As these vests become more and more affordable the less the 12ga is relevant. Criminals in IOTVs is the future.
Now thats scarey...never thought of that. Thanks.:thumb:

·
Keeper of Tomes
1,704 Posts
For what it's worth, I'd opt for a 12 ga. and work toward an AR. Not only based on cost, but your proficiency with the weapon. Another major factor when considering this is obviously who will be using it, but having a 'back stop' if you overshoot. Bullets will tear thru drywall and wood, and you dont need any high-speed rounds travelling thru walls with kids in the next room. Obviously a shotgun gives you the flexibility of ammo types.

Just my 2 cents. :)
Its funny. Everyday i see little girls come to the range and with only a weeks worth of instruction shoot expert on military qualifications tests. I have yet to see a weapons system in the world that will take you more then a month to become proficient at.

2,236 Posts
"Home Intruders have been using ballistic vests. As these vests become more and more affordable the less the 12ga is relevant. Criminals in IOTVs is the future"

You should be able to shoot them in the face with a 12ga..... or in the nuts!

·
Banned
1,927 Posts
"Home Intruders have been using ballistic vests. As these vests become more and more affordable the less the 12ga is relevant. Criminals in IOTVs is the future"

I gaurantee the force of the muzzle blast at close distance,vest or not will be enough for the intruder to say he dont want any more of this animal.All you people who never been shot dont seem to understand how that amount of force on someones chest will still cave it in and break all the ribs.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Here in Augusta there have been cases where Home Intruders have been using ballistic vests. As these vests become more and more affordable the less the 12ga is relevant. Criminals in IOTVs is the future.
No s#!t. There are level IIIA vests on e-bay for $500.

·
Keeper of Tomes
1,704 Posts

I agree, if you are aware they are wearing vests. If not, where do most people aim? Center mass. There are just to many variables these days and as time passes these become greater. If you do decide to go with a shotgun i'd shift my training. Most people train center chest, pump, center chest. I suggest training a center chest, pump, crouch sequence.

Once again i'd go with the shotgun only if i plan to never leave my house in a combat environment. If you have property outside you wish to protect or you live in an area where you may have to evacuate your home because of rioting i'd go with the AR. The AR is a good platform but if cost is an issue then a M1 Carbine or an AK may be a good choice as well.

·
layered like onions
62 Posts
Thank you for your correcting me on GA defense law Urban. Now if every state would enact this, I wonder what would happen to the crime rate....

Georgia Home Defense Law

I still would go with the 12 gauge for defense though because you get some room for error in aiming at 2am when suddenly awoken by a noise.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Buy the 870 and a stripped AR lower. Togther the bill should be less than 400. You got your home defense and you own a semi auto before a future ban may present yourself. The rest of the rifle will cost 500-700 depending on how you put it together.

Stripped lower reciever is the FFL registered part of the rifle.

In a few years that part may have apprieciated 300 percent or more.

Look at the price of pre 1986 full auto arms. Same may happen to semi autos

·
Ego Dominus Vos
565 Posts
12 ga 00 buck/slug/00 buck etc ... don't give a crap about body armor, aim low and any door kicker is going down like a sack of potatoes crying for mommy ...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts