Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been a sedan & compact car driver for 30+ years, but have noticed in the local want-ads some trucks that seem like real bargains. I think that as people's finances get worse, they're trying to unload things they don't absolutely need in order to get some cash. Anyway, I've got about $5-7,000 in cash to burn on a new vehicle, and want a truck so that I can 1) carry lots of stuff (A BOV), and 2) can make it over some pretty rough logging roads without ripping out my exhaust system (I did this with a toyota tercel--no fun!) IT does not have to be fuel efficient--just reliable and will hopefully last a few years. Also, I screened out the dodges, which seem to be awful & under-priced, thus making me suspicious of them

So, tell me your pick!

Here's the choices:

GMC Sierra, 65K miles, long bed, good body, 2004: $5,500

Ford F150, 2003, 7700 series, 94 k miles, $7,500

Ford Ranger XLT 2002, V6, 83k miles, $7,000

Ford Explorer XLT, 1999, 112K miles, $5,000

I'm leaning towards the Sierra--it's got the lowest miles and is very low priced.

HippieSurvivalist

·
Registered
25 Posts
What engines are those vehicles? Are you buying these trucks from individuals or dealers? Sometimes buying from dealers may give you a slightly better legal course of action should something go wrong right after you make the purchase. You can always get a better deal from individuals -- and if these individuals have taken care of these cars, they can be a much better deal. Where are you located?

Sometimes older cars with lower miles might mean the car had problems and wasn't driven because it wasn't reliable. Sometimes newer cars with higher miles were trashed and unmaintained because the owner was too busy driving to service the car! Think about how much you drive and how/what you will drive.

For these, I might go with the Ford, but I like Jimmies... I need more info. from you to be able to really give a more specific opinion.

I can see this turning into a Ford v. GM v. Chrysler thread...

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Which engine does the F-150 have? if its got the 5.4 triton go with that.For a little engine its tough.our company truck is a 2000 F-150 with 170K miles still runs like a champ.

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What engines are those vehicles? Are you buying these trucks from individuals or dealers? ...

For these, I might go with the Ford, but I like Jimmies... I need more info. from you to be able to really give a more specific opinion.

I can see this turning into a Ford v. GM v. Chrysler thread...
These ar all from individuals--no dealers. Dealr prices are almost always $1-2K higher than the exact same model from a private seller. I also think I won't pay the asking price on any of them--I'll only make an offer tha would include the cost of my taxes and registration, so that on a $5K vehicle I'll only pay about $4,500.

I REALLY don't like the Dodges--they are out of the picture for me.

Some of the trucks I listed do not list the engine size, but I'm assuming they are all V6 or V8.

I should mention, I also don't care about rust. Rust is a fact of life in Vermont, and even really rusted out vehicles can pass annual inspection.

I would like something with towing capacity, and am assuming that anything V6 or larger would be OK.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
You have a lot of Fords on your list; check out Mazdas, too; we have an older Mazda that's just a Ford with different trim. Ours is at least 9 years old and has 200K miles and runs like a top.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would go with the GMC. stay away from the ford exploder(there top heavy)
ford rangers are excellent trucks but kinda on the small side,however with a v-6 you would get better gas mileage and still have lots of power. But if you need to carry alot of gear, and I mean lots and lots then the long bed gmc is a good choice.I dont know much about newer f-150s but the last 2 that my dad owned (99 and 02) had nothing but problems.
Are any of them 4 wheel drive? At any rate I would go and personally look at the vehicles in question.Then look at your needs vs. what the vehicles have to offer.

·
Crazy old man
1,287 Posts
Ok Hippie so your looking at a 4wheel drive, so the first check under the dash for mud. Take a flashlight and look under the dash for signs of being under water. Also check under the carpets for mud. Other wise your choices are sound. Too bad you can't find a toyota 4x4.:thumb:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would go with the Ford the ranger wont do much in the way of towing (pretty small) but as far as the f150 goes I have a lot of experience in offroading and they have proven themselves capable of a lot more than logging roads;) Have you looked into any broncos? hate to add more confusion but a Full size bronco is always a good choice if you find a good one.

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No Broncos and no Mazdas or Toyotas are available in the 5-7K price range. Based on this thread, I'm gonne go either GMC or F150.

·
Dingleberry
156 Posts
Man for the year, mileage and killer price of that GMC I would jump on that deal ASAP. I've owned 2 Rangers so far and couldn't have been happier with them, but that GMC sounds like a steal to me.

I'd probably still get the Ranger though just cause I love em so much.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've changed my mind... You sure you want a newer model truck?

Look for an early-90's Volvo 245 (Volvo 240 station wagon), or a mid-80's diesel Mercedes station wagon -- e.g. 300TD/W123. The Volvo should have no trouble with those logging roads.

If you find a good one, she'll be as good as gold.

·
The Punisher
1,607 Posts
My one bit of advice is to stay far away from the Explorer. There's a reason they've earned the nickname "Ford Exploder's".:D:

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I'd go with the GMC. It's the best of those choices. What engine does it have? The 5.3 V-8 is a pretty decent engine and will get good MPG for a truck. I forget what year GM switched from the 5.7 to the 5.3; if it has the 5.7 it's an even better deal. Don't forget to add a locker or limited-slip to the rear axle.

Alot of people don't like Dodges. I bought a 98 back in 2000 w/ only 8K on it. I actually got to drive it a month later after it sat in the dealers service bays to fix the engine (3times). I finally got it back and fixed the problem myself w/ a Hypertech programmer. After that I had NO problems at all, not even the dreaded Dodge transmission that everyone had trouble with. It was a great truck, it just needed a proper computer program. And you just can't beat those SOLID axles front and rear.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'd also say to keep looking for a Toyota Tacoma.

I've had my Toy SR-5 for 22 years, 269,000 miles and I still drive it everyday! Most of those miles in the mountains of the Olympic Peninsula. The truck's out lasted two wives so far - LOL.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Look at the Toyota T-100 4-wheel drive. Or early model Tundra.

My T-100 has about 265,000 miles on it and still going strong. And its payed for.

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I love Toyotas, and have a little toyota with 200K + and is still on the original clutch! No tundras or other available around here for less than $10K, and that's a little outside my price range. I'm going GMC. Will let you all know if it turns out to be a lemon.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts