Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
statists' be statin'
3,330 Posts
I don't know anything about the Texas desert. Around here that would be a possum. A skunk is possible but less likely. The 3" diameter hole doesn't sound like a skunk. Young possums travel alone and could fit through that hole. young skunks travel with Mom and she wouldn't fit. Without her, they wouldn't go through.

I've done a lot of trapping of fox, coon, and skunk and have caught a bunch of possums I didn't want to catch. I would use a box trap baited with marshmallows rolled in jello powder. Both skunks and possums like it and you won't catch house cats.

Possums are pretty stupid and will walk into just about any trap. Skunks are a little smarter. A piece of fabric over the trap makes a skunk more comfortable.

Just in case it was a skunk I would put a piece of cardboard down on the ground before setting the trap on the ground. This prevents a nervous skunk from leaking next to your house. I've never had one spray in the trap but they do leak a little.

Skunks and possums can be carried around once they're in the trap as long as the trap is covered and the skunk can't see you. Skunks spray at a target. If they can't see the target they don't spray. At least I've never had one spray.

You won't like my dispatch method. I always shoot them while they're still in the cage. If I don't want the pelt, I dump the carcass into a pre-dug hole. Skunks and possums will fit into a hole dug with a post hole digger. They do leak a little once you shoot them so choose the location carefully. A chest shot is best for skunks. A head shot disrupts the central nervous system and sends electrical signals everywhere. Head shots can result in lots of twitching. With skunks that's a dangerous thing. A chest shot and they expire within a few seconds quietly. No risky twitching.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I saw what's probably it a few days ago. It was a squirrel, and it was running along the slanted edging near the hole. I've never seen a squirrel out here before and have no idea how it got here, unless it stowed away in a vehicle or somebody trapped it and decided to let it loose out in the country. That's all I can figure. But I saw the thing and so did the dogs, who were not happy.

Unless it's something else other than the squirrel.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I saw what's probably it a few days ago. It was a squirrel, and it was running along the slanted edging near the hole. I've never seen a squirrel out here before and have no idea how it got here, unless it stowed away in a vehicle or somebody trapped it and decided to let it loose out in the country. That's all I can figure. But I saw the thing and so did the dogs, who were not happy.

Unless it's something else other than the squirrel.
https://www.desertmuseum.org/books/nhsd_squirrels.php

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_gray_squirrel

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Twice in the last week I've seen that squirrel in my plants, and a few days ago it zoomed right past me. That horrible animal just kills my plants and runs off, and doesn't even eat them. It's doing it for fun.

I have a Havahart trap baited with peanut butter waiting for it. So far, it's squirrel 1, me 0, since it managed to spring the trap without getting caught.

I have a piece of aluminum that will fit over the hole, and will be covering it today.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,533 Posts
Victor sells an oversized mouse trap designed for rats. The one with the big flat plastic pan works great for rats, weasles, and squirrels.
I have used small leghold traps (size 0 or size 1) for squirrles. They used to chew holes into our corn crib, so I got good at getting rid of them.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts