Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something was getting into the herbs on my porch. I keep the security door closed all the time, and the only way something could be getting in would be to scale an over 4 foot high wall, walk along the top which is 7 or 8 inches wide with a good slant to it which should dump the animal to the ground since it slants downward away from the house, then go through a 3 inch in diameter hole.

I want to catch the animal before closing up the hole so it doesn’t just make another hole, so I put some rat sized (not the smaller mouse sized) sticky traps down. They’re the ones with the sticky stuff at the bottom that’s supposed to keep a rat or whatever from running off with the trap. I’ve seem some pretty good sized rats unable to move them because the sticky stuff on the bottom of the trap holds the trap in place.

The first trap disappeared. I found it on the lawn with white fur in it. This morning another trap disappeared, and I found it near the fence line upside down in the dirt, again with white fur in it. The fur is a little over an inch long.

I have never seen a rabbit on my porch, and they wouldn’t make it through that obstacle course anyway. The feral cats are the wrong color, and would never make it through the hole.

This would have to be something that lives in the desert in east central Arizona. I'm not finding any poo and rodents don’t have that type of hair. It comes out at night. I’m stumped. What the heck am I trapping??? Here is a picture of today’s trap.

Edited to add: I put the traps at the entrance to the hole.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ditto-- Possum. Usually pretty stupid critters and therefore easier to trap. Large box trap with something sweet like an apple core or banana peel. Set it at or near where the animal is used to getting the herbs. By the way, if you can bring the herb garden inside overnight, I would do so.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd rather not have the expense of buying a game camera, but if this keeps up, I just might. Catching it would answer the question. Opossums aren't something that I've ever seen around here, but who knows. I do have several box traps. It's probably time to put them to use.

·
Wrong Side of Heaven
3,598 Posts
Im thinking that a possum would have a darker base and be thicker (size reference 2" trap?). I would lean more towards a coyote.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im thinking that a possum would have a darker base and be thicker (size reference 2" trap?). I would lean more towards a coyote.
The rat traps are 5" by 10" and a coyote wouldn't get through that hole. It probably wouldn't care about my oregano, mint, etc., either. But thanks for the thought.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have to hedge my bet, ten on an opossum and ten on a skunk. Both are adept climbers.
Aaack! I didn't think of that. I've never seen an opossum around here, but we do have plenty of skunks. Some mornings I can smell them. The hole gets closed off and the traps put up ASAP. I'm not messing with an angry skunk. Stuff that.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Aaack! I didn't think of that. I've never seen an opossum around here, but we do have plenty of skunks. Some mornings I can smell them. The hole gets closed off and the traps put up ASAP. I'm not messing with an angry skunk. Stuff that.
Hehe, I had to live trap an egg-napping skunk once.
It was an adventure relocating and releasing him. All while dressed up and on the way to a dinner I couldn't miss.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I have to hedge my bet, ten on an opossum and ten on a skunk. Both are adept climbers.
Groundhogs, good climbers. Opossum, good climbers. Never heard or seen a skunk climb anything above ground level lol. Although it’s cousin, the mink, I have seen climb (straight up a 8’ x 1.5” steel pole). I suppose anything’s possible.

OP said it’s a 3” dia hole so it would have to be a kit whatever it is.

·
Registered
43 Posts
if you trap it in a live trap wrap the trap in a tarp in case it is a skunk, they won't spray you if they can't see you. lol, best way I've found to let one out Is throw it in a creek or river for about an hour then retrieve the trap.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,152 Posts
if you trap it in a live trap wrap the trap in a tarp in case it is a skunk, they won't spray you if they can't see you. lol, best way I've found to let one out Is throw it in a creek or river for about an hour then retrieve the trap.
DING DING DING DING...
we have a winner...

That is exactly what I have done to loathsome critters i live trap.
I have trapped several skunks who actually came in through the dog door to get to the garbage. Throw a blanket over them, they don't do anything.
then
I walk them to the pond, I have about a 15 foot long rope on it,
I launch the trap towards the pond while pulling the blanket,
you look into the eyes of the flying skunk trying to figure out WTF is going on...

Come back later, get the well washed skunk into the garbage bag
dispose of appropriately.

What I will NEVER EVER EVER do again...
many many years ago, I got up north, flipped on the yard light, and Mr stripes was humptying across the yard.
Without thinking I grabbed the .44mag I just got back from Magna-Port, and let fly with a hot handloaded Sierra 200gr HP that literally vaporized the skunk.
It was WEEKS before the smell went away and the job of bagging the tattered remnants, I never want to go through ever again.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm in the desert with no creeks or ponds, but maybe something can be rigged up. There's a motion sensor light where I had the traps, but apparently it's not scaring the animal off.

Not sure I'd want to use a skunk for target practice. If I miss, he might not.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,533 Posts
DING DING DING DING...
we have a winner...

That is exactly what I have done to loathsome critters i live trap.
I have trapped several skunks who actually came in through the dog door to get to the garbage. Throw a blanket over them, they don't do anything.
then
I walk them to the pond, I have about a 15 foot long rope on it,
I launch the trap towards the pond while pulling the blanket,
you look into the eyes of the flying skunk trying to figure out WTF is going on...

Come back later, get the well washed skunk into the garbage bag
dispose of appropriately.

What I will NEVER EVER EVER do again...
many many years ago, I got up north, flipped on the yard light, and Mr stripes was humptying across the yard.
Without thinking I grabbed the .44mag I just got back from Magna-Port, and let fly with a hot handloaded Sierra 200gr HP that literally vaporized the skunk.
It was WEEKS before the smell went away and the job of bagging the tattered remnants, I never want to go through ever again.
They now sell special cage traps for skunks. They are built from Sch 80 PVC pipe, with one solid end, and a door on the other end.
https://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/animal/NWSTT6.html

When I mentioned this to a friend, he commented it looked like a potato gun.
Drill hole in solid end. Catch skunk. Tip trap up at angle. Open door. Fill bottom of trap with fuel. Light fuel to launch skunk.

Attachments

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They now sell special cage traps for skunks. They are built from Sch 80 PVC pipe, with one solid end, and a door on the other end.
https://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/animal/NWSTT6.html

When I mentioned this to a friend, he commented it looked like a potato gun.
Drill hole in solid end. Catch skunk. Tip trap up at angle. Open door. Fill bottom of trap with fuel. Light fuel to launch skunk.
Aim trap at rioters. Film it so you can watch and re-watch it with popcorn. Post video to this board.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts