Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to buy a large amount of bee keeping equipment.

I have no idea of the value of these things however.

They have around 20 "brood boxes", and 20 "super boxes" as well as quite a lot of other probably minor pieces of equipment. They have screens for 75% of the boxes and the seller says that I can order the extras as I need them.

Truthfully it sounds like more than a novice would need but if the price is right why not go ahead and get everything I would need now?

Ive seen pictures and they look to be in very good condition.

What is something like this worth?

·
Here's Johnny!
306 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
For $500, I got 2 bee suits, gloves, a smoker, a hive t00l [why is the generic name for hammers, etc. censored???], two books on beekeeping, a hat and veil and a few other miscellaneous things, an extractor frame and tub with a strainer, about 20 built hive bodies with frames plus a nuc, plus enough parts, wire and wax to build about another hive bodies and about 40-50 frames. Plus the table saw finger joint cutter to make more.

And that was in Seattle, WA.

You need at minimum a smoker, a hive t00l, gloves, duct tape [I'll explain that], a jacket with built in veil [I use one of those overall things painters use, plus the jacket, muck boots [rubber boots], plus the hive bodies, etc. Do not let somebody sell just you a bunch of boxes.

You will have to flame every one of the frames and hive bodies before you can use them to kill any foulbrood [see here for more info]. Contact your local beekeeping group - probably county or regional folks - and ask them about any mentor program they have if you are a novice. Read, and then read some more about beekeeping...lots of sites online.

Oh...the duct tape. Well, bees can find their way in just about any little opening in your gear, so you want to tape the top of the boots to your pants or overalls or bee suit. You can also use clear plastic package tape if you prefer.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
It runs about $300 to get one hive set up, that's 2 brood boxes and 5 supers and wax inserts for each box. Then you need goves, hat and vail, smoker, bee brush, wax knife, honey seperater, strainer and buckets for honey storage. But most important you need a beekeeping book for information. This all could easily cost you up to $1000. If it is used I would say half priced. If you are getting a steal, grab it. Honey is one of the products that is going up in price right now.

It is also, a renewable source of food that most people enjoy. It is great barter item.

Because these are used hives, You need to take a blow torch to the boxes, NOT THE WAX AND FRAMES. Don't burn the boxes, just run the torch over the inside of the box to kill any bacteria or mold. Place the wax frames in a bag and put them in the freezer to kill off any eggs that are waiting to hatch.

Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.