14,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,955 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Mil, that seems alittle high with out the bottle???? I do like the burnners though. My son changed mine out to that style(big round ones instead of the cone shaped ones) I'll check Academy next time I go.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I go 2 of these for 39.95 each with the pots to cook turkeys, they were marked down 30. each at Lowes last yr. the tanks didn't come with them. we even use them to run the pressure canner on the back porch as propane is a lot faster than our ele. stove.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Camp chef makes good stuff. I have never been dissapointed with them. I used a big three-burner for an entire summer, 3 meals a day and no problems of any kind. Fast, convenient and safe.

That oven is awesome.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, :thumb: I was leaning toward just a double burner,something more solid than the Coleman unit I have now,but I really liked that Camp Chef stove/oven. ****'s Sporting goods may have them in-stock, or at least be able to order one. Cabellas has them too, and free shipping for an order that large, though they may not honor it considering the size and weight.
Anyway, thanks for the replies, any other suggestions appreciated.....

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Redpoint,thanks for chiming in, and welcome to the forum !! :thumb:
Those stoves look pretty solid,do you have any idea about how much they run ? They don't say, but I have a feeling they ain't cheap .;)

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I go 2 of these for 39.95 each with the pots to cook turkeys, they were marked down 30. each at Lowes last yr. the tanks didn't come with them. we even use them to run the pressure canner on the back porch as propane is a lot faster than our ele. stove.
Nice. How well do those hold up in the wind. Looks like they've got a decent shield around the burner. May have to make a special trip to Lowes to see if the one near us has anything like that. Might you know the brand name incase they don't?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey Redpoint,thanks for chiming in, and welcome to the forum !! :thumb:
Those stoves look pretty solid,do you have any idea about how much they run ? They don't say, but I have a feeling they ain't cheap .;)
Thank you!

Yeah, not too cheap: $265 for a two burner. That said, considering how tough/reliable they are, it's not a terrible price. High-end MSR multi-fuel camping stoves approach $150. From what I've read, they're insanely tough ... river guides just lash them to their rafts [with no protection]. I bet you could pick-up a used one. Seems to me they're in between a Coleman and an overpriced high-end Brunton. If this is meant for car camping/semi-permanent use, you could mate it with a small, refillable Worthington aluminum LPG tank.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
My $10 "gasmate" camp stove + another one as backup is all I have.

I figure stoves are fairly reliable, not much to go wrong on them, and I dont have the money for something better at the moment...

·
Right Handed
1,371 Posts
Lots of good options for propane stoves shown. You don't have to spend big dollars to get a decent stove. I have a northern tools double burner table top model that does me very well. Very portable as well.

A single burner is great for simple cooking, stews, soups, frying, etc.

Double burner will give you more versatility, cooking multiple items at once.

Triple burners are good as well but surface area suffers for large pots. (unless u use two burners at once.)

Double burners with a small "stove" are also good to cook multiple items and warm up stuff.

Search and find what will work for your situation. You shouldn't go wrong. Make sure you get atleast two to three propane tanks (full) or more for back up.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Something that worked for me was I found a cabover pick up camper that was gonna be trashed and took a 3 burner stove with oven ,along with everything else worth takening.I even have one you can have if you will come take it apart.I have mine hooked up in my shop and I haven't done any serious cooking on it and other than being a little small it should do great .i know its not a backpacker ,but would sure be nice at your BOL and only cost 25$$.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ive got a propane stove/oven out of an old camper, It has 4 burners on top and nice little oven on bottom. Bought the camper w/out title for $400 sold motor trans for 500, kept the oven and a nice lil mini firdge then hauled the camper in for scrap and got 400 bucks out of it. I wouldnt take anything for the little stove it makes great beans and cornbread in our mtn cabin.... long story short if you watch your local paper/craigslist you can find some pretty good deals :thumb:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Nice. How well do those hold up in the wind. Looks like they've got a decent shield around the burner. May have to make a special trip to Lowes to see if the one near us has anything like that. Might you know the brand name incase they don't?

I have to block the wind with a piece of plywood if in the back yd.

I don't know the brand now but have seen them at wal-marts, and HD, with thanksgiving around the corner, it's time for them to be all over the place.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts