Survivalist Forum banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Just keep in mind with a full face type motorcycle helmet. If someone is able to grab hold of that chinbar, you are about to go for a ride!

The additional leverage provided by the chinbar also increases the chances of a neck snap maneuver if you encounter the right person..

Here are some arborist helmets, some of these can be fitted with both eye and ear protection. In my opinion ear protection will be critical. I think you will see sonic cannons put to use here if it all goes south. And protecting the eyes is always a good thing.
http://www.sherrilltree.com/easearch#!Safety-Clothing/Helmets&ea_d=_1

Or maybe a loaf of rye bread!!

·
ironsights.com
82 Posts
We had this in the works when I spotted this thread, so I used some of loki81's pictures because they fit the post's argument perfectly:

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2014/07/30/forget-what-melee-weapon-shtf-what-armor/

TL;DR version is: if the S really does hit the F, everybody's going to be wearing whatever protection they can get your hands on. I hate to get negative, but if you're telling the OP that helmets are dumb, then you're a fool.

·
Registered
223 Posts
that thing makes a better target than a blue helmet, lol

the climbing helmets are good for large rocks and slips and falls and such, and vent well, but honestly i would want something that is fully enclosed even if it's not a combat helmet, think about what would happen if a thrown bottle hit you upside the head or if a smaller rock came at you the wrong way....
That **** would definitely get painted :D:

·
Howsit bru
78 Posts
If you're buying armor, buy Patriot Plate - it's cheaper than AR500 even with the body bends ,Line-X coating, and entry level vest. Plus it's actually rated for 30-06 armor piercing rounds. MIL-DTE4100 is made to stop bullets. AR500 is made as a skid plate for APCs, IIRC.
Have you seen torture tests on AR500? Its insane what they can stand up to, and now with the PAXCON anti-spall coating, its even better. IMO, AR500 will beat the pants of ceramic/kevlar in SHTF. It can withstand multiple hits from 556 and 308 at extremely close ranges and still be useable and serviceable. Thats the problem with ceramic, few hits and its done, and its fragile.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Have you seen torture tests on AR500? Its insane what they can stand up to, and now with the PAXCON anti-spall coating, its even better. IMO, AR500 will beat the pants of ceramic/kevlar in SHTF. It can withstand multiple hits from 556 and 308 at extremely close ranges and still be useable and serviceable. Thats the problem with ceramic, few hits and its done, and its fragile.
I hope you realize that fully 80% of ammo used in ARs and many in AKs would penetrate the steel armor. If I were cynical, I would have concluded you want people to die.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I hope you realize that fully 80% of ammo used in ARs and many in AKs would penetrate the steel armor. If I were cynical, I would have concluded you want people to die.
Thats actually confirmed very well during events in Ukraine. The common conclusion in a situation like that anything below level 3 is useless.

·
Howsit bru
78 Posts
what ammo are you referring to? can you post a link to a "common" ammo that will penetrate level III ballistic steel plate?

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
No, I meant Level 3 is a minimum that is useful (note, not 3a though)

AR500 IS (supposed to be) level 3. So it is largely suicidal to use it. Even worse, there are many instances when the steel failed to stop even class 3 threats.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
AR500 IS (supposed to be) level 3. So it is largely suicidal to use it. Even worse, there are many instances when the steel failed to stop even class 3 threats.
that maybe related to the fact, that in russia the grades are a bit different. They have protection levels from 1 to 6a, and if you look at translation table, levels 3 to 5 all translate to NIJ III. The difference between 3, 4 and 5 is what type of AKM or AK-74 bullet they stop, with 5 being able to stop certain SVD rounds.

If you look at russian version of Body Armour wiki page, you will see the tables at the bottom.

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Бронежилет

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
that maybe related to the fact, that in russia the grades are a bit different. They have protection levels from 1 to 6a, and if you look at translation table, levels 3 to 5 all translate to NIJ III. The difference between 3, 4 and 5 is what type of AKM or AK-74 bullet they stop, with 5 being able to stop certain SVD rounds.

If you look at russian version of Body Armour wiki page, you will see the tables at the bottom.

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Бронежилет
I am using, obviously, U.S. designations. It is bad enough dealing with those.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts