Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking on this site for a couple of weeks and decided to join. So far, it seems like a very respectful, informative place and I haven't seen too much of the drama that is on similar forums I've been on.

Umm.. I'm a homemaker. I do some volunteer work, but my kids are young so it is actually more cost effective for me to stay at home then to pay for daycare. I have 3 children, pregnant with our 4th, and have been married almost 10 years. My husband is in the Army but is in the process of being med boarded. Very long process and we are given no timelines. Kind of frustrating since I am a "plan and prepare" kind of gal.

Been interested in prepping for quite some time but DH didn't really get on board until after he got back from Iraq. He's not as into it as I am, but he is pretty supportive.

We are really in the beginning stages and it is going pretty slowly.. many things I would like to have are out of our price range right now. Still, it is a start and it is better to have something in place then nothing. And I'm so amazed with the number of people who have nothing in place.

I don't talk a whole lot about what we have or don't with friends and family, although I do try to encourage them to prep because "you never know". Never really had a SHTF scenario. The only hurricane I experienced didn't amount to much for us. We've had tornados but they've missed us and power outages have been minimal. Still, I know that anything can happen and I know that, at some point, my DH will be jobless and I certainly want to prepare for that! I do know what it is like to try and decide between buying food or paying your electric bill. Don't really want to be in that situation again if I can help it.

We don't live out in the country, although it is a dream of ours to oneday buy a house and some land. We do have a large enough backyard to have a garden. It's a learning experience as I have never done anything more then container gardening. It's not enough to feed our family for the winter, but it will supplement our diet. So far, so good. Hoping to plant some berry bushes next year along the fence.

DH did buy me our first weapon.. a .38 special +P hammerless revolver. He wanted me to have something that was very much a "point and shoot" since I have no experience with guns. After the baby it born, I'm going to hit the range and practice with it. It's strictly for protection. Something we've been talking about for years. I admit, I feel better knowing that it is there.

We are not hunters. As a matter of fact, I've been a vegetarian for 23 years. I just don't care for meat but I promise I'm not one of those people that hound others for eating meat or hunting. It's just not for me. I don't think I could kill an animal unless I was desperate and growing up I didn't really like to eat meat at all. DH eats meat, but doesn't hunt. I don't think he's ever been.

I guess that is about it. :)

·
Registered
11,613 Posts
Welcome Much to learn here. Things to ponder follow:

Have a BOL?

Self-sufficient? Garden? Stored food?

Reload? Cast bullets? Practice with your firearms?

Practice permaculture? Gather wild foods?

·
Professional Lurker
4,105 Posts
Welcome from Oregon.

Click here​
to see Oregon's group page.​

Reactions: SSGNasty
1 - 11 of 11 Posts