Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gents,

My name is Josh, and I'm from Wabash IN.

I'm a Mosin-Nagant and 1911 nut. I also enjoy rimfire, and have a tendency to either build, rebuild, or extensively modify my firearms, to keep in practice until the day I decide to actually take the plunge and put my gunsmith's training to good use on other peoples' firearms.

I currently make adjustable Mosin-Nagant sights. I cannot say enough good about these rifles: They're accurate (yes, they are, though there's a myth out there that they are not), and lend themselves to as much or as little modification as I wish. (I personally prefer "sleepers", but have seen others that I can appreciate, even if they're not for me.)

I grew up camping and learning how to live off the land. My biggest problem right now is figuring out how to purify water that has been polluted with chemicals that may evaporate at approximately the same temperature as the water. Something with a low boiling point I'd just boil off then run through a still, but beyond that I'm not sure. Food is not hard to acquire. Water from sewage outside of an abandoned chemical factory is the challenge.

I have been looking at small buildings, one of which I will be using as a small "off-the-grid" home, though if I get a lot of surplus electrons, I'll certainly feed it back onto the grid for the cash.

Ah, well, not so good at talking about myself. Any questions, please ask!

Josh

·
Registered
11,613 Posts
Welcome Much to learn here. Things to ponder follow:

Have a BOL?

Self-sufficient? Garden? Stored food?

Reload? Cast bullets? Practice with your firearms?

Practice permaculture? Gather wild foods?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome Much to learn here. Things to ponder follow:

Have a BOL?

Self-sufficient? Garden? Stored food?

Reload? Cast bullets? Practice with your firearms?

Practice permaculture? Gather wild foods?
I do not know what a BOL is.

Not as self-sufficient as I'd like, yet. No garden this year. Plenty of stored foods.

I reload, cast bullets, and practice daily.

Permaculture... to a greater or lesser extent, yes. Gather wild foods, yes. My backyard is a forest. All over the ground before getting to the forest are wild strawberries, dandelions, and shrubs of berries.

I enjoy nature. It is not at all unusual for me to take a few extra pieces of gear (canteen, maybe a blanket) and wander into the woods for a couple days.

There is plenty out there to eat, and it's peaceful.

Josh
smith-sights.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts