Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nice to meet all of you. Going on 22 years of active duty Army, finally moved my family from the suburbs to a rural, small farm on a river about a year ago, and slowly but surely progressing towards a self sufficient, or at least reduced dependance life style.

I stumbled on this site looking for plans for a "cold box" I can drop in my river as a refriegrator alternative since we lose power several times each winter.

Still haven't found any examples of a cold box though...

Mike-

·
Professional Lurker
4,105 Posts
Welcome from Oregon.

It sounds like you are looking for something called a springhouse.

I've seen them before and if built right they work really well, the only down side is you need a source of water that won't dry up and will stay cool during the summer.

Is this This what you're thinking of?

Click here​
to see Oregon's group page.​

Reactions: SSGNasty

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The trough described is about exactly what I was looking for. Some sort of wood box I can drop in the river with perishibles stored inside. My river is a deep running, mountain run-off so it's cold year round and low 30's in the winter.

I know it sounds goofy, but I saw one on a PBS special "Frontier House" sometime ago and can't find anything that replicates it. They called it a "cold box", and it was just some sort of wood design that dropped in the river that you could put cannisters in that allowed the water to flow through it.

I grew up on a farm in IL, my wife is a product of Los Angeles and San Diego. I forced her kicking and screaming to the country. I begged her to give it 6 months. 3 weeks later I had to fight her to go into to town to get groceries.

While I was on deployment, she researched on her own, and raised chickens which are now producing eggs, figured out how to mow the pastures on her own, and lives in her boots and barn coat. She's also learning to fish our river. I bought her a S & W .38 and Stoeger side by side 12 gauge coach shotgun, taught her to use them, now she's pretty much self sufficient while I'm gone. Milk goats are coming next. keep the faith!

Mike-

·
Registered
11,613 Posts
Welcome Much to learn here. Sounds like you have a good start on the items below.

Things to ponder follow:

Have a BOL?

Self-sufficient? Garden? Stored food?

Reload? Cast bullets? Practice with your firearms?

Practice permaculture? Gather wild foods?

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Is that cold river in a location where you could pipe the water to your house?

Build a box on the back porch, pipe the water through coils inside the box.

Reactions: SSGNasty
1 - 16 of 16 Posts