Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I'm mostly a lurker type... but I'll post if I have something worthwhile to add. I turn 44 this month, married for 21 years, and will be a grandfather for the first time sometime around Christmas.

I don't know if I consider myself a survivalist or not. That word has always held alot of lifestyle conotations for me. But, that may just be a semantic hangup on my part. I do consider myself a survivor, though. I do think we live in fragile times.

I don't believe society will collapse, but then again I don't think my house will ever burn down - but I still have insurance. I don't think I'll have a wreck on the way to work tomorrow, but I still wear my seatbelt (if in the truck) or helmet (I'm a biker :)

I don't intend to abandon "normal" living and let survivalism take over my entire life. You've all met people like that - can't have a conversation about anything that doesn't turn into MRE's and "SKS vs. AR". But I do think its smart to take steps to ensure that my family is safe, if trouble does decided to come 'round.

So, basically, I'm pretty much like the vast majority of posters here - just a normal guy :D:

Paladin

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Welcome from Dallas. The term Survivalist leaves a bad taste in much of the publics mouths. You have to remember most of us who have been raised in the lifestyle have always kept to ourselves. Now that we are getting older it is for our kids that we work. Don't let terms hold you back. You will face enough obstacles on your road to being prepared. You will find a lot of people who will make lite of preparing for anything. they still believe the Govt will take care of them. If you look at FEMA you will see the govt is telling people to get prepared because they can't take care of them.

You need a plan and you need to get started as soon as you can.

If you want to call yourself a Preparedness Buff then that is okay too. the main thing is to get prepared. What part of the state are you from? I don't need to know your address, just are you from Houston area or from North Texas or valley.

Have you sat down yet and written anything down you need to do? Texas is a very good place to be and be from. Do you have your CHL? Keep in touch and know that any of us is happy to help in any way we can. Best wishes to you and your family.

Again welcome to our community.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need a plan and you need to get started as soon as you can.
I've got the beginnings of a plan, and a base of equipment/supplies left over from the Y2K disaster - that wasn't. Once that hurdle passed by, preparedness kind of got shoved onto the back burner. You know how it is.

But ever since Ike, the gas shortages back east, and the unexpected financial market upheaval... I've started thinking I'd better get back on the ball and get my house in order. There's too many opportunities for the natural world, and mankind's destructive nature, to knock us out of our easy chairs.
If you want to call yourself a Preparedness Buff then that is okay too. the main thing is to get prepared. What part of the state are you from? I don't need to know your address, just are you from Houston area or from North Texas or valley.
I'm north of Dallas. I live in the 'burbs now, but my parent's farm is about 1/2 hour farther north. That would be our eventual destination if things got crappy enough for us to abandon our home and bug out.
Have you sat down yet and written anything down you need to do? Texas is a very good place to be and be from. Do you have your CHL? Keep in touch and know that any of us is happy to help in any way we can. Best wishes to you and your family.
Thanks!

Paladin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts