Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, y'all!
I am a retired public middle school school teacher (taught mostly music, then English and reading, and a year of basic math).

I became interested in being prepared when I was a young girl in Girl Scouts ("Be Prepared" remember that?). As an adult and a teacher getting paid monthly, I learned to plan ahead. We got paid on the last WORKING DAY of the month. December to January was a tough stretch. It was six weeks without a paycheck with Christmas gift-buying in the middle.

We also moved to the country twenty years ago. Nearest grocery store was 25 miles. Sam's Club was 37. I learned to get everything I needed when I "went to town." We also garden.

We are retired and we still group our errands when going to town.

Another major factor is that have reenacted the American Colonial period (our era is 1730-1776) so we have researched skills for that time period, which happen to be skills needed for a SHTF situation, in many ways.

I am happy to be on this site with you and I hope to learn a lot of new things, as well as share any of my limited knowledge with you.

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,729 Posts
Hidy MissPatti welcome to the boards from southern Oklahoma. :)

I am into genealogy and that got me into watching a Youtube channel called Townsends. He's an 18th century reenactor who shows how they lived, what and how they cooked, etc. back at that time. Love watching him.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hello,

I'm new here as well. I've seen a lot of the civil war reenactments but not many from the early 1700s we do have a live museum not far from me called El Rancho de las Golondrinas where they do reenactments and show old ways of life. Very interesting to see the old ways!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Rancho_de_las_Golondrinas

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Welcome MissPatti!
Sounds like you have a lot of good knowledge witht the re-enactment practice. Keep learning - that's why most of us are here too - would love to hear about some of your re-enacment skills!

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Welcome from Southern Illinois. A place ruled by a NAZI dictator running the state from Chicagostan.

Reactions: SSGNasty

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hidy MissPatti welcome to the boards from southern Oklahoma. :)

I am into genealogy and that got me into watching a Youtube channel called Townsends. He's an 18th century reenactor who shows how they lived, what and how they cooked, etc. back at that time. Love watching him.
In addition to his videos, Townsends has a retail website from which many reenactors from my time period purchase their goods. It is sort of the WalMart of reenacting stores online. We do make a lot of our gear. We also trade with other craftsmen who specialize in 18th century skills. Woodworking, blacksmithing, leatherworks, foodstuffs, sewing (my area), candle and soapmaking (also my area), cooking over fires, archery, black powder shooting, knifemaking, weaponry making, basketmaking, etc. These skills are researched by serious reenactors and practiced to perfection, or at least excellence. I have baked homemade bread in a brick oven - that was fun! I would like to have my own brick oven at home. I can cook in a Dutch oven over a fire (well, coals, actually) also hanging over a fire. Many 18th century skills are the same as what one would need in a SHTF situation, I think.

We live inland from hurricane areas but we do get the power failure and bad weather that hurricanes bring. We lost power one time recently for six days. We mentally and physically switched to "camp mode" and kept going. It turned into a simple inconvenience instead of a major catastrophe.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Welcome to the boards!
There is a wealth of knowledge here and we are happy you joined!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts