Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking for quite some time now, and finally figured I might be able to make some sort of useful contribution :) I'm near the York PA area but from southwest NY. I have a piece of paper that calls me a scientist, but I work from home and hold down the household along with the kid and the dog while the husband goes to the rat race for the time being.

If you have kids and watch Wonder Pets (it's on Netflix; nothing beyond basic cable for us), we've recently adopted the duck character's mantra of "This is serious!"; we were buying a couple items a month to start stocking up, but we're starting to shift into high gear. We recently raided a small amount from my Roth IRA and purchased a Mossberg, 55-gallon water barrel, a Berkey water filter, a small amount of silver and some food containers. We're in a holding pattern for the next couple weeks while we take a cross-country trip (planned this months ago; want to see the redwoods as long as the national parks don't close due to the jokers and their debt ceiling) and then we intend on figuring out our more long-term plan of attack.

I hope I can be of help to others, and plan on learning much more while here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the warm welcomes!

@WLynn - it depends :) My piece of paper says biochemistry, and although I can hold my own in certain areas (metabolism) I am not a great chemist (I still need to push my electrons on paper). I have a strong background in the nuts and bolts of molecular biology (ie. cloning, plasmid creation), but I worked with HIV and am generally knowledgeable in virology as well. I also used to work in medical research, so sometimes I actually have practical knowledge! I hope that my answer isn't too long-winded; if it is, my short answer is that I am a biology geek :)

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Greetings from San Diego. Hope you enjoy the upcoming trip to the redwoods. Will you be scouting locals for a Bug Out Lair on your trip? Or will it be strictly much needed relaxation? Either way welcome to the boards.

·
7,504 Posts
Thanks for all the warm welcomes!

@WLynn - it depends :) My piece of paper says biochemistry, and although I can hold my own in certain areas (metabolism) I am not a great chemist (I still need to push my electrons on paper). I have a strong background in the nuts and bolts of molecular biology (ie. cloning, plasmid creation), but I worked with HIV and am generally knowledgeable in virology as well. I also used to work in medical research, so sometimes I actually have practical knowledge! I hope that my answer isn't too long-winded; if it is, my short answer is that I am a biology geek :)
Cool, the assorted medical people here will love having another professional person around. Some of the conversations can be interesting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@Jelsey - we're not too far away from each other at all! I was just checking out the Gettysburg transition network at http://www.transitionnetwork.org/ this morning. There's not one here yet, but Gettysburg is pretty close.

@PhotonSD - purely R&R for us :) We're revisiting Glacier NP, but will be seeing the Redwoods for the first time. We're getting pretty excited now!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts