Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopping in to say "Hello"!

There's not much to tell about me. I've never thought of myself as a "survivalist", but strongly believe in preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. If living my life under that premise makes me a survivalist, so be it!

I'm a Mom to three teenagers - that might say alot to other parents here as far as my "grit".

My preparedness is far from being as detailed as many I see around the internet. The best thing to say about it would be that I can do most anything on a "shoestring". Improvising is a skill I foster in myself out of necessity. It works although it is challenging (read: frustrating).

I look forward to getting to know you all better, and you me.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Welcome from Dallas TExas to the community. I can appreciate your situation. Use this site as a tool to help you prepare. Meet people with similar beliefs to your own. Find people in your area. Most of all make a plan. this cost nothing but may save lives. Don't go crazy and try to go in debt to buy things you can't afford. find out what you have already that you can use. find friends on the site who will help you. GOd Bless.

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
Welcome, Trek!

A lot of folks on this forum are probably pretty similar, in that we're more "preppers" than what is typically thought of as survivalists. I would have made my forum name "HippiePrepper" but it had too many p's.;)

HippieSurvivalist

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I've never thought of myself as a "survivalist", but strongly believe in preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. If living my life under that premise makes me a survivalist, so be it!
Well put!!!

I'd suggest starting in stocking some extra food, water, batteries or what not. It can't hurt and can only help. There is a good video by a great member here name Josiah531/Josiah922. It's up on YouTube but I don't think there is a post here on it.

Basically, a good way to start is to spend an extra $10 a month or so on food items that last a long time next time you go to the store. Things like sardines, rice, wheat, etc. are good starting items. It's just one idea of many that you will find from members and posts here on the site.

Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
And I didn't mean to put you on the spot Josiah, but you do have some of the best (if not the best) videos on the site. And I mean that. :thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome! I'd thank individuals for their posts, but haven't figured that part out yet. :eek::

Once I have enough posts, I'll be sure to check out the NY section of the board.

Josiah has a new youtube subscriber! Thanks for pointing out his videos.

I'm loving the video mindset I'm finding around here. On another thread I saw someone mentioning having videos of plants on the web. Found his blog and was shocked to learn that sumac has any good about it! I'm looking forward to making some sumac lemonaide.

I think I gave the wrong idea about me... I'm not new to food storage, just living as though I am perpetually broke! None the less, my family and I have ample calories stored away to keep us going for at least a year. Nothing fancy & I'm always rotating because mylar type packaging is out of my reach.

While I'd love to feel financially comfortable with purchasing and using all the technologically advanced preparedness products out there; I feel more secure learning to do things the "old fashioned way". The more basic, the better in my thinking.

I guess my way of looking at these things comes from having the financial rug pulled out from under me one too many times. It doesn't seem to matter how carefully a person follows the "rules" of having savings, insurance, investments and minimal debt. All of it can be gone in short time with just the right run of bad circumstances. I guess you could say that I have had to endure and adapt so often that I stay focused on adapting and overcoming now.

Love that line, btw, "endure - adapt - overcome". It reminds me of my nursing professor telling us that above all things, nurses must be flexible and adaptable. If nothing else from that school stuck in my mind, that line did!

·
Registered
848 Posts
welcome and hello from the hudson valley.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts