Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been full bore prepping since 2001. We had done some prepping before 9/11 but not enough. After 9/11, it kicked us into high gear.

We bought a retreat, then sold our large subdivision house and moved to our retreat full time in '03. We ended up downsizing in house size considerably so we could have adequate funds for the rest of our prep needs.

We have over a year of food for our extended family; we also have goats, chickens, llamas, horses, guard dogs, the mouse patrol (cats), a couple ponds, a well, (plus county water). This place has two barns and we seriouly upgraded the fencing (a never ending project).

The house was a worn out 1900's home, but we have added a new furnace/new central air plus a soapstone wood stove, refurbished the exterior and interior.

I do a lot of canning, including lots of meats, soups, stews, chilis. I have learned to dry veggies, make fruit leathers and jerky. Our garden needs help, but we did make a three year supply of different pickles last year and I have enough grated zucchini in the freezer for lots and lots of zucchini bread!

We just planted 12 fruit trees and are working hard to get our berry bushes to take off. Still want to plant a good amount of grapes and more types of berries.

We have learned to shoot firearms fairly well and are well stocked in that regard.

We have a very well stocked medical supply closet and the knoweldge to use it all.

I try to help educate those whom I meet who seem to "get it" to get started prepping and keep working at it.

Biggest Beef: Family members who live a laid back lifestyle, overspend and don't prepare in any way, and expect to show up at my place and be taken care of. We have let all know, THAT AIN'T HAPPENIN'! In Little Red Hen style-- if you don't help, we won't share in the bread. Their choice.

·
Registered
118 Posts
welcome. it looks like you might have a lot of first hand experiance to share. looking forward to read your posts.
what area of missouri are you in?

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Welcome to the community. Sounds like you got it together. Hope this site is good for you. There are a lot of good people on the site. Make friends. See you in the posts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi. I just joined a few days ago. We're in Illinois, about 20 miles North of St. Louis. It's good to have like minded people so close. I just started preparing. It sounds like you're doing great. I wish I had started sooner. At least we have always gardened and preserved some of our food, so we're not new to that, but there's still a lot to learn. Hope to hear from you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would really like to move to Hannibal or anywhere in NE MO. I am originally from Arnold, just south of St Louis and really like the eastern border area between IA and MO. Nice people and clean living. I now live in the Middle East so reading this post was a nice mental escape to the mainstreet in Hannibal.

Take Care

·
Registered
735 Posts
A couple of month ago I was stuck at the J in Wayland MO watching cable when I saw a PSA on having a plan during a terror attack . I looked the driver sitting next to me ands said " I got a plan , your looking at it."

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello and welcome

Just wanted to say hello. Looks like we are both newbies to this site. It looks like you are well on your way to self sufficientcy. Best wishes and talk soon.:thumb:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hannibal and NE MO

Billy,

When you take your next trip to Hannibal, be sure to stop by Rumor Has It on Main Street and have a Blue Cheese Burger with a basket of their fries! If the night is nice, sit outside and eat and watch the quiet move over the sidewalks as they roll up for the night. There is a new movie theater being built right downtown, so you may be able to follow up your meal in a brand new theater (designed to blend into the architecture). We looked for "home" for 20 years. We found it here and won't be leaving anytime soon.

I would really like to move to Hannibal or anywhere in NE MO. I am originally from Arnold, just south of St Louis and really like the eastern border area between IA and MO. Nice people and clean living. I now live in the Middle East so reading this post was a nice mental escape to the mainstreet in Hannibal.

Take Care

1 - 17 of 17 Posts