Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - I googled "survivalist forums" and you were one of the top results.

I been spending time lately trying to come up with a plan for a SHTF event. I've purchased 5 acres and a cabin about 75 miles from my home and now am working on equiping it. Here come the questions!

I'm looking forward to being part of the community!

Hawk

·
Pastor
1,965 Posts
Hi All - I googled "survivalist forums" and you were one of the top results.

I been spending time lately trying to come up with a plan for a SHTF event. I've purchased 5 acres and a cabin about 75 miles from my home and now am working on equiping it. Here come the questions!

I'm looking forward to being part of the community!

Hawk
Ask away !
you mentioned 75 miles, would that be N or S ?

Reactions: SSGNasty

·
Forum Administrator
16,846 Posts
One of the top results? Let me check - dang it, we got bumped from the number one spot.

Thank you for joining us, make yourself at home.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
West

We bought our weekend place 75 miles west of Jacksonville. It takes us roughly 1 hour and 15 minutes to get there (distance is 90 miles by car).

I checked 50 years of hurricane tracks and found none that came close to posing a threat to the area - the gulf stream currents push most storms in different directions. The surrounding area is mostly agricultural and timberlands. My property is wooded and fenced with a good size pond (stocked) on it. I am on well and septic but am planning on looking into putting in an artesian. I'll try to add some pics later.

I wanted someplace close enough to get to without to much difficulty (easy by car, 3 days on foot if its required) but far enough away to isolate ourselves in the event the crisis is disease based. Also - I wanted to be outside the circle of civic chaos.

·
Pastor
1,965 Posts
We bought our weekend place 75 miles west of Jacksonville. It takes us roughly 1 hour and 15 minutes to get there (distance is 90 miles by car).

I checked 50 years of hurricane tracks and found none that came close to posing a threat to the area - the gulf stream currents push most storms in different directions. The surrounding area is mostly agricultural and timberlands. My property is wooded and fenced with a good size pond (stocked) on it. I am on well and septic but am planning on looking into putting in an artesian. I'll try to add some pics later.

I wanted someplace close enough to get to without to much difficulty (easy by car, 3 days on foot if its required) but far enough away to isolate ourselves in the event the crisis is disease based. Also - I wanted to be outside the circle of civic chaos.

Madison area?
Give or take a few miles?
I lived close to that area for 7 years.
There are some very good people, and some snakes.
I hope you are a good shooter, as most in that area are.
Be very weary of whom you accosiate with, small town there are gosipy, and segrigated.
IE:
White church, Black Church
White grocery, Black grocery
Etc.
It is like a time warp too the early 30's
I had friends in both groups, but with that, you will make enemies with others.
Just a heads up.
PS
Great hunting in that area !!!
Turkey, Deer, and my fav. Wild Hog, ferul, and Russian black boar !!!
Good fishing too, you will be very close too the swanee.
Small ponds in the area will net 15+ lb large mouth bass.
Try the Bass Assasin (Pink) worms, the water is brakish, and they tend to go for the neon colors the best.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Live Oak

My place is in Live Oak, just off 252! You hit it right on the head about the gossip! We brought our contractors in from Jacksonville, the neighbors thought we were "city slickers" (from Jacksonville???) and constantly nosed around.

Now my concern is where to store a years worth of food. I am thinking about burying a shipping container in one of the "hills" on the property.

·
Pastor
1,965 Posts
My place is in Live Oak, just off 252! You hit it right on the head about the gossip! We brought our contractors in from Jacksonville, the neighbors thought we were "city slickers" (from Jacksonville???) and constantly nosed around.

Now my concern is where to store a years worth of food. I am thinking about burying a shipping container in one of the "hills" on the property.
I would not recommed burying anything on your property !

Buy yourself a nice little canoe, use it for a trip down the Swannee.
You will find many cuts, small feeder streams down that path.
Choose a very small one, ie difficult too enter.
You will find lots of good places to plant some goods.
The Swannee runs a very long way south, do not go further then crystal river, as this is a nuclear power plant, I recommend 50 miles north of that local, or farther.
Crystal River is on the fallout sheets.
Good hunting now though, great for hog.
There is a little town, just south of there, called Inglese.
Just before you get into Inglese, there is a side road too the west, go about 1 1/2 miles, too your right, there is a "Camp" grounds, very primitive.
This is St. Joes paper company land, along with the union pacific railroad.
Very close to the store for ice, and very close too hunt.
I took a 400 lb. Russian Black Boar there, about 10 years ago, my eldest was freakin out, his first hog hunt.
If you need any contacts in the area, I may still know a few.
Drop me a PM

Reactions: SSGNasty

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
Welcome! Good to have another Floridian aboard.
ps. no hurricanes, but they have had forrest fires, in that area If I remember.

·
Board Supporter
2,049 Posts
Welcome Hawk,
Very glad to have you here. I been through Jacksonville a few times, heading to the Keys. The one thing that stuck out in my mind was instead of saying center lane closed on a three lane interstate, they had a sign that read, "I95 South - Right Lane" and then a little further, it said, "I95 South - Left Lane" ...:eek: I was in panic mode trying to figure out which sign was correct, until I realized I was running out of road, and that the center lane was a hole to the road below. Hope you enjoy your stay here, and if we can help, just give us a shout.
Graywolf

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey wussup, I live in Jacksonville but im stationed in Japan right now (Marine Corps) I come home in September and im looking to get connected with the right people in case of SHTF circumstances. I cant afford land but I can get supplies. What should I buy and how much? Lets get accquainted. PM

·
Registered
11,613 Posts
Welcome Much to learn here. Sounds like your cabin is a good start!

Things to ponder follow:

Have a BOL?

Self-sufficient? Garden? Stored food?

Reload? Cast bullets? Practice with your firearms?

Practice permaculture? Gather wild foods?

·
7,504 Posts
One of the top results? Let me check - dang it, we got bumped from the number one spot.

Thank you for joining us, make yourself at home.
OH NOES! Our fearless leader must once again go forth in battle vs the net daemons, and return his beloved forum to it's proper place, on the tallest pedestal!

In other news, I hear we have a new member from Florida. :thumb: Welcome, enjoy, there's plenty to find here. Don't accept any kool-aid from strangers, and don't take life too seriously.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts