Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a survivalist off and on since the 70s but recently got way more serious about it. Then I started looking for info on handling the heat - something common in Houston, but not talked about much in survival literature. Ran across one of Kev's videos on YouTube and ended up here.

I'm a computer programmer by day and a photographer nights and weekends. I'm interested in guns, food storage, food production and other survival topics. I'm also a long SLOW runner and just finished my first half marathon a couple of weeks ago.

I'm a husband and father. Better wife than I deserve and two homeschooled boys. The oldest is a junior at UT Austin studying Actuarial Sciences. The youngest is 17 and attending duel credit courses at Lone Star College.

My dream is to have my own place in the country far enough from Houston to lessen the Golden Horde, but close enough to go on the weekends. I'd really like a place I could go shoot my rifle that wasn't as restrictive as Carter Country.

My goals this year are to go through stages for food storage - 72 hrs, 30 days, 90 days, 6 months, 1 yr. I've handled 72 hrs and am working on 30 days.

In addition to food storage I'm also looking to build a good ammo supply and increase my weapons. Right now I carry an XD 45 and my wife as an XD 9mm subcompact. I've also got a AR-15. So I'm stocking up on 9mm, 45 ACP and .223.

Since 45 is so expensive and hard to find, I'm thinking I may downgrade to another 9mm just to standardize. I'm also looking at getting a 22 pistol and rifle.

I've written a few things on my personal blog on the topic of survival if any one is interested.

Guess that's mostly it. Turned into a thesis.

Ron

·
Prepared in NH
12,864 Posts
Hello Ron - Welcome to the Forum.

On a side note; “Drunken posts do have a certain level of entertainment value…”

·
RH-O Negative
5,647 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Nevada (North DFW), Republic of Texas.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've been a survivalist off and on since the 70s but recently got way more serious about it. Then I started looking for info on handling the heat - something common in Houston, but not talked about much in survival literature. Ran across one of Kev's videos on YouTube and ended up here.

I'm a computer programmer by day and a photographer nights and weekends. I'm interested in guns, food storage, food production and other survival topics. I'm also a long SLOW runner and just finished my first half marathon a couple of weeks ago.

I'm a husband and father. Better wife than I deserve and two homeschooled boys. The oldest is a junior at UT Austin studying Actuarial Sciences. The youngest is 17 and attending duel credit courses at Lone Star College.

My dream is to have my own place in the country far enough from Houston to lessen the Golden Horde, but close enough to go on the weekends. I'd really like a place I could go shoot my rifle that wasn't as restrictive as Carter Country.

My goals this year are to go through stages for food storage - 72 hrs, 30 days, 90 days, 6 months, 1 yr. I've handled 72 hrs and am working on 30 days.

In addition to food storage I'm also looking to build a good ammo supply and increase my weapons. Right now I carry an XD 45 and my wife as an XD 9mm subcompact. I've also got a AR-15. So I'm stocking up on 9mm, 45 ACP and .223.

Since 45 is so expensive and hard to find, I'm thinking I may downgrade to another 9mm just to standardize. I'm also looking at getting a 22 pistol and rifle.

I've written a few things on my personal blog on the topic of survival if any one is interested.

Guess that's mostly it. Turned into a thesis.

Ron

Welcome from Brunswick, Ga. I live in Tomball for a year, 2006. Dude sorry Houston really sucked.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Welcome from Oregon. I, to, have always been a prepper in my own way. I gardened and canned/stored food to get through the winter (higher bills to pay). But the last couple of years I am prepping like mad and bought my first semi-automatic rifle and loads of ammo.

When grandma gets backed up against the wall, stay out of her way.

·
U.S.M.C. 86-90
21 Posts
Ron

Welcome. Drop Carters and go to Memorial Shooting center. It's a tactical range right off I-10 around Gessner. It's run by combat vets. It's a great place to shoot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ron

Welcome. Drop Carters and go to Memorial Shooting center. It's a tactical range right off I-10 around Gessner. It's run by combat vets. It's a great place to shoot.
I've got a good indoor range near me - Sportsman Outlet in Humble. Just don't have a good range for rifle.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Welcome, im in se houston near almeda mall and ellington field.Try academy, ive found monarch .45 there a couple weeks ago.We are trying to get out of Houston area,hopefully next couple years.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts