Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!

Stumbled across this forum and got hooked on all the good info. I work at oil rigs across the state and in Louisiana too. My main concern and what brought me to this site is this up coming hurricane season. While I work abroad my fiance stays at home and watches the kid and right now our preparedness is nil, nada, nothing. I'm looking to change that!!

Thanks for the site and good info!:thumb:

·
Prepared in NH
12,852 Posts
Greetings from NH.

·
90/10 headed for 95/5
7,665 Posts
Welcome to the Boards, from Canada.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I stumbled on this site myself, and I'm glad I did. I have really found some good info here. As for hurricane preparation the good news is that the season is almost over and it looks like we managed to get through this season unscathed. The great news is that now is the perfect time to begin making preparations for next season.

I have lived through the onslaught of refugees from Katrina, Rita hitting Beaumont directly (where I lived at the time), and sat through Ike in Northwest Houston. As a resident of Southeast Texas for over 6 years, I have learned a few things that may help you out.
1. Especially during the peak of hurricane season (July to September) never let the fuel tanks in your vehicles get below ½ a tank. Fuel will be one of the first thing to have a short supply, and will be the hardest things to find during an evacuation.
2. Pick up your supplies at little at a time. Unless you have unlimited financial resources it is the easiest and probably most practical way.
3. Stock up on things you use normally anyway. This way if nothing happens, you haven’t wasted the time or money it took to stock up. If you don't normally eat kidney beans, then why buy them?
4. Canned goods and dry goods are the way to go. Canned vegetables, rice, beans, chili, etc. Their shelf life is good, their cost is low, and it’s easy to pick up an extra few cans every time you shop normally.
5. Make lists. Whatever circumstance you can foresee – write it down. Then sit down and figure out what you will need to get through it. It is the easiest way not to forget things.
6. Know your neighbors. This is Texas and more often than not neighbors will help – just remember it is a two way thing. It is always better to know the people around you before a crisis. You will know who has your back and who doesn’t.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi! My husband and I live in Houston. We are on the search for other Preppers/Survivalist like us in Houston/surrounding area. Mainly so we can form a "Go-Group". I dubbed it that name. What it means, is there is a group of us that meet in a specific location once SHTF and we go from there to survive together. All of us have specific skills to contribute to the group, but we are all equally cross-trained as well. If you'd like to meet up and if you know of any others like yourself, then let's set up a Meet-n-Greet!

Let us know,

SurvivalNurse781

1 - 20 of 23 Posts