Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been theoretically interested in survivalism and preparedness, but never did much about it. Then, this fall, just a few weeks after the financial crisis, we had a local gas shortage. When I tried to buy gas and couldn't, it scared the heck out of me. Luckily, it turned out to be unrelated; it was because the hurricanes had damaged our pipelines from Texas, and in about a week they got more gas into the city.

But the fear I felt then made a deep impression on me. It wasn't a complete systemic breakdown then, but it made me *feel* how possible such a breakdown is. Since then, I've begun to take steps to prepare myself. I finally bought a gun, after meaning to for years (and yes, took a class in how to use it, and I do practice). I've stocked up on certain things and bought tools of a kind I've never really needed, but will if TSHTF. I also moved out of my apartment (I would not want to be near the people who live in that complex WTSHTF) and into a house so that I can have a vegetable garden and fruit trees.

Also, I'm taking a CERT class next month. It's ironic, I heard about it last month because someone in a local book club I belong to was talking about it and encouraging people to sign up; the club has nothing to do with preparedness, survivalism, politics, anything like that. I'm also joining the Women's Outdoor Network so I can join them for hikes, camping, etc. I intend to keep on learning more things to look after myself if and when the time comes.

·
Banned
28 Posts
Hello Jane!

I am older than sin and managed to live through the Arab Oil Embargo in the early '70. I can honestly remember when a dollar bought 4 gallons of gas...during that time, the price went from about 50 cents a gallon to over two dollars. I understand your feelings and have had them myself.

What I hated the most was the feeling of being completely at the mercy of someone else or the "system" itself. I, like you, had a quick conversion there and then.

Learn everything you can and PRACTICE. You can control the situation if you prepare.

Warmest Regards,
Mountain Man
mman

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Hey there and welcome from SE Ga. What part of Ga?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts