Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I currently live and work in Dubai with my wife and kids. We are originally from Missouri but also lived in the southwest and northern california for a few years.

Starting to consider some urban survival scenarios given the instability of the region we live in. Dubai in itself is always teetering on the brink of disaster whether it be terrorism or just a food shortage. I could see things becoming very difficult in this city if there is ever a crises of some sorts.

I look forward to learning more information from you all!

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
Hello and welcome. I believe if it did hit the fan I would want to be closer to home. Seems like every time they get pissed over there they hunt down Americans to take their frustrations out on.

·
I love this *****
33,883 Posts
What's up? Glad you found us. Thanks for joining. How's the weather?

·
Banned
653 Posts
You're about to be in a crisis over there, oil is fixing to fall like a cheerleaders dress on prom night....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dubai is an interesting place for many reasons.

Even though we are surrounded by crazies in the neighbouring countries, it feels very safe here. I can't stress enough how SAFE we feel being around town or shopping etc. I often find myself feeling uneasy about how safe we feel and wondering if it's a false sense of security. Violent crime and for the most part, petty crime are non-existent. 99% of the people here have families with a Mom and Dad living at home. Probably the highest marriage rate in the world.

We are pretty insulated from what's happening in the markets because so much money is being pumped into this region for growth and development.

What scares me the most is that the country is so dependent on imports. Nearly all of the food is sourced from outside the country and the same goes from consumer goods. If something were to go wrong and they were unable to process imports for any period of time longer than a week, we would all be in big trouble. I am very aware of the fact that I need an exit strategy and a strategy to deal with things in the event that no exit is available. I refuse to rely on the local authorities in the event of a crisis on any scale. They will simply not be able to keep up with the demands. With that in mind, I will keep reading these boards and looking for ways to have a plan in place should the need arise.

Oh, weather is still in the mid 90's with nasty humidity that is off and on at times. Looking forward to cooler temps in October and beyond.

Take Care,

·
Registered
289 Posts
use to pass thru Dubai-when working Afghanistan -like you said depended on import of everything -firearms control pretty bad-once forgot had m-4 mag- in bag customs told me hi-cap mags illegal there--the police i saw didn't carry guns--the money is good i'm sure --if the company you work for has a plan for keeping workers & family safe--bug in is really only thing you can do--of course you can go to the mall to ski while you figure it out--take care /good luck

·
veritas aequitas
2,253 Posts

Even though we are surrounded by crazies in the neighbouring countries, it feels very safe here. I can't stress enough how SAFE we feel being around town or shopping etc. I often find myself feeling uneasy about how safe we feel and wondering if it's a false sense of security. Violent crime and for the most part, petty crime are non-existent. 99% of the people here have families with a Mom and Dad living at home. Probably the highest marriage rate in the world.

We are pretty insulated from what's happening in the markets because so much money is being pumped into this region for growth and development.

What scares me the most is that the country is so dependent on imports. Nearly all of the food is sourced from outside the country and the same goes from consumer goods. If something were to go wrong and they were unable to process imports for any period of time longer than a week, we would all be in big trouble. I am very aware of the fact that I need an exit strategy and a strategy to deal with things in the event that no exit is available. I refuse to rely on the local authorities in the event of a crisis on any scale. They will simply not be able to keep up with the demands. With that in mind, I will keep reading these boards and looking for ways to have a plan in place should the need arise.

Oh, weather is still in the mid 90's with nasty humidity that is off and on at times. Looking forward to cooler temps in October and beyond.

Take Care,
Hi Billystyle and welcome--

we are a USMC family and I felt very vulnerable whenever we were stationed in Hawaii. Being on an island, we were also dependent on imports. I hated the feeling. I was there for Y2K and stored up as much food as possible at the time (I figured a couple months worth would be enough to get us off the island and flown off to relatives' house). Even the *rumor* of a dockworkers' strike was enough to set off rice and toilet paper shortages in the stores.

Good on you for developing an exit strategy. Good luck.

·
Banned
13,890 Posts

Take Care,
Hey Billystyle. I've got a coworker here who worked in the UAE on contract for just under a decade. Best time of his life, he said. Just out of curiosity, have you worked out multiple egress routes, and identified foreigner-friendly locales you can head to? There must be some distance and logistics involvied in something like that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts