Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everybody out there. I am a new SurvivalistBoards member. Like many people, I'm concerned about the direction this great nation is moving in. My family and I are trying to become as self-sufficient as is possible at the moment. My/our interests as relates to survival are: firearms, food, shelter, and becoming less dependent on utilities. We live on an island off the coast of Maine. I am a lobster fisherman, my wife is a homemaker/homeschool teacher, and we are trying to raise our son to love God, country and the principles it was founded on, be respectful of others, and to be able to take care of himself. Looking forward to exchanging ideas and information with all of you.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Reactions: Dano62

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
we are trying to raise our son to love God, country and the principles it was founded on, be respectful of others, and to be able to take care of himself.

Welcome to our family. It's good to have people like yourself who still raise their children with values and respect. Thank you, our country depends on it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
welcome to the site. I bet your area has been hit hard by the economy. I live in southern Oregon. We've been hit really hard with lay offs in this area.
Thanks for the welcome. The area where I live, coastal Washington County, Maine, is about a seventy mile stretch of shoreline that reaches to the Canadian border. A large number of people here are self-employed, specifically lobster fishing, so although nobody can lay us off per say, the boat price for lobster has dropped to about what it was when I was in high school, and that was in the late 1970's. The majority of our catch this time of year goes to Canadian processors who ship it to Europe. The European buyers can't get working capital from the banks to buy, so we've been hit extremely hard. The whole situation has been compounded by high bait and fuel prices. Things are tough, but we'll survive somehow. Our elected officials here have done just about all they can to tank the economy. Same party has been in control for the past thirty years. We have some of the highest taxes in the nation and our jobs and young people are leaving.

What's the major industry in southern Oregon?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to our family. It's good to have people like yourself who still raise their children with values and respect. Thank you, our country depends on it.
Thanks for the welcome Highpower. I'm sure there are a lot of good folks on these forums with similar values to yours and mine. Hope to meet some of them over time. A girl that my wife had in her Sunday school class about ten years ago now lives in Tennessee, just outside of Nashville. She and her husband are good people and have started a family there.

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
I used to live on an island surrounded by lobster fisherman. it was up the coast across the border from you. I learned a lot from that time but my first rule of food is still, "do not eat anything with the skeleton on the outside".

Welcome to the forum.

·
Banned
27,826 Posts
Hi Dano62,

Welcome and Nice to have you aboard. It's cool how you are home schooling. I have home schooled one myself and I know it can be tough of a few fronts. Here is Cali the public schools don't like to let students go based on the funding they get for the students so will fight with most trying to home school.

TaKe care,
Wes

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used to live on an island surrounded by lobster fisherman. it was up the coast across the border from you. I learned a lot from that time but my first rule of food is still, "do not eat anything with the skeleton on the outside".

Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the welcome. Wasn't Grand Manan by any chance? I'm with you on eating lobster. I've actually never had a taste for any seafood. If you could hunt or trap pizzas, then I'd be in trouble! I recognize that depending on how bad things may get, I might have to aquire a taste for ocean fare.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts