Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I’ve been thinking about getting more prepared for a while but am really just getting started. Have my guns and ammo covered and looking to start putting away extra food. Would like to work up to a year’s supply for my family of 4. Also looking to move more out into the country now that I’m working from home a lot and SpaceX launching their satellite internet service soon (which I need for work).

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,681 Posts
Welcome from near Denver. First step is water. Get yourself a decent filter (campers style at the least if you don't want to spring for a larger family sized one). Then one of those 7 gallon water storage jugs for each member of the family. THEN start planning your food, medicines and home repair items. Don't sit and plan forever yet never actually do it. Baby steps works for most.

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
3,939 Posts
Hello, and welcome from W. Ky!

·
Registered
6,138 Posts
Hello there. You will find that most Americans are good people as opposed to the lies you get from Canadian media and dip**** politicians.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello there. You will find that most Americans are good people as opposed to the lies you get form Canadian media and dip**** politicians.
Don't need to convince me. I love America and Americans. The left is doing it's best to destroy the country (both US and Canada), but it's the greatest country ever founded with the most forward-looking, well thought-out founding documents of any nation in history imo. I listen to Mark Levin every day via podcast, so he's where I align politically, and I've read books on your constitution, major SC decisions, founding era, 2A etc. It's all great stuff and I was basically born in the wrong place.

BabyBlue, I'm actually doing ok on water given the circumstances of my location. I've got nearly a pallet's worth of bottled water in my basement. It's so cheap I buy it every time I go to Costco. It drives my wife nuts but she understands. We also have a couple 55 gallon aquariums we can use for flushing toilets etc. I am preoccupied with the fact that I'm currently still in a suburban area and I'd rather have a well with an endless supply than depend on municipal water as I currently do.

For that among other reasons, I'm looking at selling my suburban house within the next few months and moving out to the country where I can really set things up the way I want and be self-reliant (eventually) for heat,water, energy and part of my food requirements. I spend my day in front of computer screens so I really enjoy the rougher outdoor living and would like my two boys to grow up like that rather than in the city, with all the negative city influences.

Food is where I'm currently least prepared. I have every tool for both building houses and repairing vehicles. I've done major Renos and vehicle repairs myself (gutted whole house basically) so I'm competent with them. On the medical front I have several proper trauma kits (in cars, on packs, in kitchen and bedroom) with tourniquets, quikclot, Israeli bandages, etc. I have a big chest freezer full of meat but no generator and if power goes for too long, that stuff is going to spoil. Food is definitely where I'm I the worst shape right now.

·
Super Moderator
CRAP CREEK SURVIVOR
2,529 Posts
.......I'm actually doing ok on water given the circumstances of my location. I've got nearly a pallet's worth of bottled water in my basement. It's so cheap I buy it every time I go to Costco. It drives my wife nuts but she understands. We also have a couple 55 gallon aquariums we can use for flushing toilets etc. I am preoccupied with the fact that I'm currently still in a suburban area and I'd rather have a well with an endless supply than depend on municipal water as I currently do.

For that among other reasons, I'm looking at selling my suburban house within the next few months and moving out to the country where I can really set things up the way I want and be self-reliant (eventually) for heat,water, energy and part of my food requirements. I spend my day in front of computer screens so I really enjoy the rougher outdoor living and would like my two boys to grow up like that rather than in the city, with all the negative city influences.

Food is where I'm currently least prepared. I have every tool for both building houses and repairing vehicles. I've done major Renos and vehicle repairs myself (gutted whole house basically) so I'm competent with them. On the medical front I have several proper trauma kits (in cars, on packs, in kitchen and bedroom) with tourniquets, quikclot, Israeli bandages, etc. I have a big chest freezer full of meat but no generator and if power goes for too long, that stuff is going to spoil. Food is definitely where I'm I the worst shape right now.
Welcome to here!

Good on you for your decision to move. Your boys will learn that some of the best roads in life are made of dirt!

Water tip: those plastic bottles of water need to be rotated out because they are notorious for leaking...eventually.

Food tips: learn how to can the meats, or cook and dehydrate them and make "instant" type meals with them. There are more than a few books out there that describe how to do this safely.

We're glad you have joined us. I hope you will enjoy this place as much as we do! There’s something for almost everyone who is interested in self-reliance, survival, and disaster preparedness.

Here is a handy "Cheat Sheet" to help make your stay here more enjoyable and productive.

Many useful links are found here and there on the site, but here are the most important ones right here at your fingertips:

The house rules: https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=2

You need to make at least five posts before you have access to the whole site: https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=8516

If you have a question about the forum, please post it here: https://www.survivalistboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

If you have a problem that you need assistance from a moderator or staff, go here:
https://www.survivalistboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53 Although it looks like a public forum, all threads started in this section are visible ONLY to the person starting the thread and to the moderators/staff/administrators.

If you see a post or thread that you think violates a rule just click the red and white triangle at the top right corner of every post. It will send an email to every moderator and it will be dealt with as soon as possible.

If you would rather not see posts from a particular member, you can make them “go away” with a click of a button! Here’s how to work the Ignore feature: Near the top of the page you will see “User CP.” That is your control panel. Click on it to bring a drop-down menu. Look for “Settings and Options.” Then, click on “Edit Ignore List” which will bring up the panel where you can copy and paste or type the exact name of the obnoxious knucklehead into the blank box under the words “Ignore List ... Add a Member to Your List” Then click, “Okay.”

To remove a user from your ignore list, un-check the box associated with their name and click the 'Save Changes' button.

If you are in the business of selling stuff and would like to take advantage of our Merchants program go here: https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=3797

Although you can use our search feature (located at the top of the main page), it is not as powerful as https://www.google.com/ or https://duckduckgo.com/. Here’s how to use the search engines to find all of our threads and posts about any topic of interest:

Just type in the term site:survivalistboards.com into your favorite search engine, followed by the word(s) or phrase of your choice, and bingo! There they are.

Sometimes when old threads are dug up and commented on, fresh eyes get to see them and sometimes new thoughts or personal experiences, or additional cited research/news articles get thrown in.

Or, you may prefer just to start a new thread. Either way works.

Jump in! We are looking forward to your posts!

·
Premium Member
2,340 Posts
Welcome from Southern Illinois. A place ruled by lunatic dictators running the state from Chicagostan.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts