1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Without giving too much info about myself...:cool:

I live in southern California.
Finished school recently and planning on relocating within the next few months (ideally that soon) to another state. Dissatisfied with how things are here politically, especially the official response to Coronavirus. To me, it seems most states are similar though...

Will likely move to the "Midwest"/Plains states or Inland Southeast (northern MS, LA, AL, for example) due to lower cost of living and cheaper housing. Yes, I do hate humidity but the lower cost of living will hopefully make up for it. (I can run an AC in my house and car - electricity and gasoline will likely be at least 25% lower in cost..:thumb:).

My current job is blue-collar, and I need to be in/near a city of reasonable size for that. Unfortunately super-long commutes are out of the question due to time and expense. (So no 200-mile-a-day commutes like I originally was thinking). Which leaves out a number of states IMO.

Family will be living super-far away from me, where they live now is too expensive to live on my own nearby.

I plan to bug in, I've read too much about the risk of bugging out to a separate BOL or the wilderness compared to a known quantity (staying at home).
Though, being in/near a city may add risk to that. Bugging out would be last resort because I wouldn't be able to afford to stock both my house and a BOL.

I would love to spend my time gardening and have my own self-sufficient ranch but that's really out of the question in terms of cost/time since I will need to work. My time is really better spent working and buying supplies to stockpile (food, etc.) and equipment (HAM, solar panels, etc.) than only working part time. I hope to be totally prepared by the end of 2021 if not sooner.

Mostly, I'm worried about an increase in restrictions on travel and activity, so I need to be prepared to have to avoid that. I'm not so worried about a civil war or revolution (or attempts at either of these). EMP or another grid-down scenario (even simulated) is something I'm concerned about.

·
Dodging bat clap
764 Posts
Welcome, and congratulations on plans for getting the heck out of this.....state.

I think we'll see an ongoing trail outta here; politics, taxation (without representation), legislation abuse, homeless and criminals getting louder voices in the city halls and state capital..you know the drill.

Enjoy the Boards.

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
Welcome from Southern Illinois. A place ruled by a NAZI dictator running the state from Chicagostan.

·
Semper Fi
8,600 Posts
Welcome

CA Native here myself and we left CA permanently for AZ a little over a year ago.

What kind of blue collar work? Depending on what you do, some smaller places still might work for you.

As to humidity, having lived in areas with high humidity (in the US and abroad) you will most likely end up hating life if you move to a location like that. Being drenched in sweat simply leaving your house in the morning and having to take a couple showers a day. To say nothing of the bugs such areas tend to have swarms of.

MS, LA and AL have hurricane issues to deal with on top of the humidity.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts